What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

docbrown

Coach
It's not too much different. Top 8 cities by population:

1. Sydney - both
2. Melbourne - both
3. Brisbane - both
4. Perth - AFL only
5. Auckland - NRL only
6. Adelaide- AFL only
7. Gold Coast - both
8. Newcastle - NRL only

AFL make WA and SA sound impressive but in reality QLD have the same population as both states combined and NSW easily outstrips Victoria. RL heartlands are where the people are. Our administrators have typically been woeful at taking advantage of that fact, but hopefully that is beginning to change.
Interesting but I’d also continue it further.

9. Canberra - NRL and some token GWS games occasionally
10. Wellington - neither, some token NRL games occasionally
11. Christchurch - neither, some token NRL games occasionally
12. Port Moresby - no NRL but NRL mad
13. Sunshine Coast - a few NRL games, no AFL
14. Central Coast - a few NRL games, no AFL
15. Wollongong - NRL, no AFL
16. Geelong - AFL, no NRL
17. Hobart - no NRL, maybe AFL team in future
18. Townsville - NRL, no AFL
19. Hamilton - neither, some token NRL games occassionally
20. Cairns - no NRL but Cowboys territory, some token NRL games occasionally

So in reality it’s more like:

NRL - Sydney 90%, Melbourne 10%, Brisbane 90%, Auckland, Gold Coast 90%, Newcastle, Canberra 90%, Wollongong, Townsville - plus Port Moresby, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and Cairns - so dominant in 10 to 12 cities

AFL - Sydney 10%, Melbourne 90%, Brisbane 10%, Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast 10%, Canberra 10%, Geelong - plus Hobart - dominant in 5 cities

The reality is there’s just more cities in NSW and QLD, whereas the populations in the desert states are clumped in the capital cities.

Colk

First Grade

NRL - Sydney 90%, Melbourne 10%, Brisbane 90%, Auckland, Gold Coast 90%, Newcastle, Canberra 90%, Wollongong, Townsville - plus Port Moresby, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and Cairns

AFL - Sydney 10%, Melbourne 90%, Brisbane 10%, Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast 10%, Canberra 10%, Geelong - plus Hobart

The reality is there’s just more cities in NSW and QLD, whereas the populations in the desert states are clumped in the capital cities.

Hey Doc.

What do you think about the PNG/Pasifika idea? Where do you think the other two sides will come from - obviously presuming that the Pasifika idea is a lock at this stage?

Gobsmacked

Bench
In hindsight yes it was a mistake. But hindsight is a funny thing.
Huh? They raked up 10 million in debt( A LOT OF MONEY BACK THEN!)after a couple of years, got bailed out and ended up averaging 6k attendance..
It wasn't a mistake chopping them! It was a mistake putting them in!

The only reason people want them back in is for a dot on the map.

docbrown

Coach
Hey Doc.

What do you think about the PNG/Pasifika idea? Where do you think the other two sides will come from - obviously presuming that the Pasifika idea is a lock at this stage?
I’ve been to both PNG and Irian Jaya/West Papua. They love league but it’s a security nightmare. The concept to me feels like basically treating the team as part time FIFO workers propped up on government welfare. I have major doubts about it.

In terms of media markets, Perth is the biggest untapped market for the NRL.

Gobsmacked

Bench

NRL - Sydney 90%, Melbourne 10%, Brisbane 90%, Auckland, Gold Coast 90%, Newcastle, Canberra 90%, Wollongong, Townsville - plus Port Moresby, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and Cairns - so dominant in 10 to 12 cities

AFL - Sydney 10%, Melbourne 90%, Brisbane 10%, Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast 10%, Canberra 10%, Geelong - plus Hobart - dominant in 5 cities

Thats right, the next 2 biggest cities that are not covered or afl dominated are.. WELLINGTON AND CHRISTCHURCH

Wb1234

Referee
the world doesn't work that way. Just because mcdonalds opens 3 new stores in the same suburb doesn't mean it's going to wipe out KFC in that suburb....
Of course it does

peoples incomes are limited so is their time

the dolphins are obviously going to take fans members and sponsors away from the lions

the lions finances have been bad for 20 years

the afl will have to increase how much they give them and the suns now to make sure they don’t go broke

Colk

First Grade
Huh? They raked up 10 million in debt( A LOT OF MONEY BACK THEN!)after a couple of years, got bailed out and ended up averaging 6k attendance..
It wasn't a mistake chopping them! It was a mistake putting them in!

The only reason people want them back in is for a dot on the map.

Anything that happened during Super League, whilst not completely ignored for lessons to be gained, should be looked at with a degree of suspicion.

Essentially everything done from 1995 to when the competition expanded way too quickly to just after the Super League was a mistake. Not the ideas of expanding but essentially the execution of these ideas and the context in which they were made.

For example, you do realise that essentially half the competition from 1997-1999 were either merged or killed off? So why would I argue that just because something failed within this context that it will or would again, particularly when the competition has a lot more money now, we are unlikely to ever have such an event again and the grants given to each club renders the likelihood of financial failure pretty remote

If we were to have this viewpoint then we would never try to expand again

docbrown

Coach
Of course it does

peoples incomes are limited so is their time

the dolphins are obviously going to take fans members and sponsors away from the lions

the lions finances have been bad for 20 years

the afl will have to increase how much they give them and the suns now to make sure they don’t go broke
I think another big issue for them is that we’ve gone from 6 to 12 QLD derbies each year. There’s a derby game every 2-3 weeks now and 1-2 games in QLD each week. A game at Suncorp almost every round. That’s just going to eat up so much of the media’s attention.

Iamback

Coach
It’s an ambitious plan. I’ll give it that. As long as there are no NSW or Qld sides in the pipeline then I’m happy. We are in the position now to be ambitious or take a punt

I have said before, I am happy to take on a NSW or QLD side to run lower grades. Helps the finances too with some sponsors, longer term the pacific helps the game more

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
the world doesn't work that way. Just because mcdonalds opens 3 new stores in the same suburb doesn't mean it's going to wipe out KFC in that suburb....
Yep and as the world increasingly moves to streaming, we'll move a

Way from the archaic 5 capital cities model. Then, it will be subscriptions that matter. And the TV ratings gap will show truly how far in front the NRL is

Iamback

Coach
That was the one with Robbie Fowler yeah? Poor old A-League - I hope their competition gets better as it benefits us.

Their history of expansion is probably worse than ours though and that’s saying something

GWS says hi

A League are the perfect example of what not to do for expansion and why caution is needed.

That is what hurt the 1995 expansion 4 teams at once was crazy

Colk

First Grade
GWS says hi

A League are the perfect example of what not to do for expansion and why caution is needed.

That is what hurt the 1995 expansion 4 teams at once was crazy

I would still say ours and the A-League are worse. They haven’t had a team collapse yet (notwithstanding their arrogance regards GWS) whereas we and the A-League have had multiple.

1995 for all its positivity was way too much in one go. If we did that same expansion over 10-15 years we probably wouldn’t have encountered the problems we did. Anyway lessons learned and all that.

Moving forward though the positive we have is that there are multiple areas seemingly wanting to be a part of the competition. That’s a great place to start.

blue bags

First Grade
That was the one with Robbie Fowler yeah? Poor old A-League - I hope their competition gets better as it benefits us.

Their history of expansion is probably worse than ours though and that’s saying something
Yes Robbie Fowler
Captain coach
Lime dark green jerseys

Latest posts