What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
But I thought you said Australian Govt was funding it all for evermore, why would they need Easts assets?

If anyone it will be Bellyache that the new club goes after as inaugural coach.
They’ve already said they want bennett (vlandys)

so having more financial backing is a bad idea is it lmao
Touche'... i read it as owned when i originally saw it..
I wouldn't be giving these guys the keys to Ferrari, it'll end up parked in their backyard
told you

Perth Red

Post Whore
20 team comp by 2032 is what he said he’s aiming for so yeh
Whats funny is until Politis rasied it at the chairs meeting in December he hadnt even considered it lol. The old "we'll have to look at that' line came out.

Wb1234

Referee
Whats funny is until Politis rasied it at the chairs meeting in December he hadnt even considered it lol. The old "we'll have to look at that' line came out.
So now the commission are saying they want to do it and the term they use is turbo charged instead of believing it you just mock it

you really are a special person

Perth Red

Post Whore

told you
where did Vladys say that?

I thought they didnt need it as Govt was funding everything? Thats what you've been telling us ad nauseum. Now all of a sudden they do?

MugaB

Coach

told you
Read the last line, its not going to be held by those two clubs

There has been speculation surrounding the North Sydney Bears joining forces with a Pasifika franchise, but V'landys made it clear any Pacific NRL licence must be spearheaded by PNG.

The ARL Commission chairman stressed other regions such as Perth and Queensland have not been dismissed, with the NRL open to expanding to a 20-team competition by the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.

"It will all be one bid, we won't have a team in Papua New Guinea and then a separate Pasifika franchise," V'landys said.

"We'd love to see it as an overall Pacific strategy where there will be other nations involved in Samoa, Tonga and Fiji, but PNG will be the key part of the bid.

"The harder part is apportioning a possible NRL licence between those nations, but that's to be done in the due diligence

Perth Red

Post Whore
So now the commission are saying they want to do it and the term they use is turbo charged instead of believing it you just mock it

you really are a special person
Thanks, I like to think so.
Stupidity is generally worthy of mockery. Why we have so much fun with you on here :)

Wb1234

Referee

There has been speculation surrounding the North Sydney Bears joining forces with a Pasifika franchise, but V'landys made it clear any Pacific NRL licence must be spearheaded by PNG.

The ARL Commission chairman stressed other regions such as Perth and Queensland have not been dismissed, with the NRL open to expanding to a 20-team competition by the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.

"It will all be one bid, we won't have a team in Papua New Guinea and then a separate Pasifika franchise," V'landys said.

"We'd love to see it as an overall Pacific strategy where there will be other nations involved in Samoa, Tonga and Fiji, but PNG will be the key part of the bid.

"The harder part is apportioning a possible NRL licence between those nations, but that's to be done in the due diligence
Nothing in that quote

What you want to happen is overriding what vlandys has actually said

Canard

Immortal

The Bears or Tigers will not allow themselves to be a junior partner in any NRL bid, so thats off the table.

For the record I think a PNG Nrl side within the next 20 years has Buckley’s of happening.

it’ll be Perth (Something, hopefully not bears)
Or Brisbane 3.

It would be cruel and narrow-minded to leave Perth out of the NRL after all the interest they've shown. V'landys should tell them the 18th licence is theirs if they put in a better bid than the Brisbane Tigers, with an upgraded Perth Oval and a high performance training centre provided by the WA Gov, in conjunction with a rugby league program in the school curriculum to fast track junior development.

ash the bash

Juniors
This is so weird, this whole PNG team. Statements that sort of contradict what is said earlier.

Forget a team based in Cairns doing a travelling circus to play in PNG/Pasifika. What player would sign up for that. The only way it could sign player is by doing an AFL and having "cost of living allowances" etc.. Which I think should be avoided RL does not ever give teams artificial leg ups and I don't want to see us starting now. I know its Union but look at how Moana is going, it's a disaster and likely to be wrapped up in a couple of years.

There is only one way it can work IMO, and PVL mentions that too. Which is a tie in with either Brisbane/Bears. Now both of these options are the same structure just one based in Brisbane and other in North Sydney. Will use the Bears example...

- Pasifika Bears
- COE in NS
- Games 4 NSO, 2 CC, 4 PNG, 2 (Tonga, Samoa, Fiji) ?
- Takes away the travel problems with being based in Cairns by having a lot of away games in Sydney.
- No issue's with attracting players being based in leafy NS.
- A reasonable membership base revenue from games in NSO/CC old Bears etc.. Certainly more than what they would get from being based in Cairns.
- Better away support in theory to other Sydney venues.

In above example the Brisbane/Pasifika would work similar just with 6 games at Suncorp rest PNG etc.

Canard

Immortal
This is so weird, this whole PNG team. Statements that sort of contradict what is said earlier.

Forget a team based in Cairns doing a travelling circus to play in PNG/Pasifika. What player would sign up for that. The only way it could sign player is by doing an AFL and having "cost of living allowances" etc.. Which I think should be avoided RL does not ever give teams artificial leg ups and I don't want to see us starting now. I know its Union but look at how Moana is going, it's a disaster and likely to be wrapped up in a couple of years.

There is only one way it can work IMO, and PVL mentions that too. Which is a tie in with either Brisbane/Bears. Now both of these options are the same structure just one based in Brisbane and other in North Sydney. Will use the Bears example...

- Pasifika Bears
- COE in NS
- Takes away the travel problems with being based in Cairns by having a lot of away games in Sydney.
- A reasonable membership base revenue from games in NSO/CC old Bears etc.. Certainly more than what they would get from being based in Cairns.

In above example the Brisbane/Pasifika would work similar just with 6 games at Suncorp rest PNG etc.

The Feds are not going to 100% fund a team playing 6 games in NSW annually.

The optics of this politically would be a PR disaster for pollies.

Wb1234

Referee

- Pasifika Bears
- COE in NS

Excellent argument about less travel to away games

never even thought of that

The Great Dane

First Grade
Strawman argument

when was the last time you said anything positive about expansion

95 when ribot said rugby league would take over in China ?
No, a tongue in cheek response to your strawman wrapped in an ad hominem, and being realistic isn't being negative.

Are you going to attempt to address the arguments I made, or are you going to keep playing the man instead of the ball?

The Great Dane

First Grade
This is so weird
The only thing that's weird about it is that you get a response of raucous laughter if you suggest that the NRL admit a team from e.g. Adelaide or Melbourne, but get one of enthusiastic applause if you suggest one from PNG.

We must be living in the stupidest timeline.

Latest posts