What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are we still doing this plastic vs Nswrl thing, please can we grow up and move on... 18th team people... hell ill even talk about the 19th or 20th team
My great hope is that with a WA strong bid, Brisbane3 a strong bid and IF Feds are serious about silly money for PNG then we have 3 very real opportunities to bring in over the next 5-10 years. There is no reason, presuming Vlandys doesn't f**k up the next tv deal again, we cant have a 20 team comp in place by 2033.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
AwFuL has friends in high places. Plus it is "Australian" and existed in all parts of the country long before rugby league existed. Rugby league is competing with rugby union for support from the same demographic. Fumbleball doesn't have this problem.
RU and RL have very different demographics and RL and RL holds a geographical advantage over the AFL that is not fully leveraged yet.

MugaB

Coach
My great hope is that with a WA strong bid, Brisbane3 a strong bid and IF Feds are serious about silly money for PNG then we have 3 very real opportunities to bring in over the next 5-10 years. There is no reason, presuming Vlandys doesn't f**k up the next tv deal again, we cant have a 20 team comp in place by 2033.
Thats the plan... WA needs to getthe ball rolling now, hook up with the bears 🐻, before PNG jump the line
They are leading the reserve comp right now, probably the better comp than Qcup or ESL, probably better than some of the bottom sides on show in the NRL... i reckon Brisbane is done, NZ2 WA and PNG should be the NRLs focus, hell even offer relocation incentives to anyone for SA or Vic2...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Lots of ifs. Show me the money. By the time that happens we will be $2.5 billion in 15 years behind their revenue. You honestly think we are ever making that up?
Yes I do think we will. For a few reasons (sorry to repeat, but just for the sake of laying out the points):

- They have gone on a massive expansion run, we haven't yet
- They have first class stadia for every team, we don't yet
- They have fully leveraged their game commercially, we haven't yet

I get what you are saying. It's all for us to do and it's 2023 and hasn't been done yet. But it is clear that the NRL now understand that expansion means more TV $$$, that's a start. It's also clear that the NRL understand that NZ and SEQ are underleveraged and want to do something about it. Yes, we'll see if it all happens but if (yes if) we get it right we could absolutely make up the revenue gap.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thats the plan... WA needs to getthe ball rolling now, hook up with the bears 🐻, before PNG jump the line
They are leading the reserve comp right now, probably the better comp than Qcup or ESL, probably better than some of the bottom sides on show in the NRL... i reckon Brisbane is done, NZ2 WA and PNG should be the NRLs focus, hell even offer relocation incentives to anyone for SA or Vic2...
I dont mind if we are club 19. Id rather wait if we have to and get it right.
In many ways the ideal would be ARLC would start to invest properly in WA now and we would get our jnr rates up, reintroduce SG ball, bring in an U20's and a NSW cup side over the next 4 years. Then be really ready for an NRL team introudction around 2028. That would be the perfect scenario imo. Build the systems first, let the club get some profile (we used to get 3000 turn up for Bundy cup games!) Thats what we did with the Reds very succesfully, started out in 1991 ready for a 1995 admission.

IF, and it is a very big IF, the PNG is realistic chance it is likely that it will be club 18 anyway. Feds arent in power forever and NRL runs a risk of a new Govt coming in with a different agenda if they wait for PNG to be club 19 or 20.

Not that it would be my preference. Id rather see West Coast Pirates first, then NZ2 then either Adelaide or Brisbane3 depending on interest and backing in SA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes I do think we will. For a few reasons (sorry to repeat, but just for the sake of laying out the points):

- They have gone on a massive expansion run, we haven't yet
- They have first class stadia for every team, we don't yet
- They have fully leveraged their game commercially, we haven't yet

I get what you are saying. It's all for us to do and it's 2023 and hasn't been done yet. But it is clear that the NRL now understand that expansion means more TV $$$, that's a start. It's also clear that the NRL understand that NZ and SEQ are underleveraged and want to do something about it. Yes, we'll see if it all happens but if (yes if) we get it right we could absolutely make up the revenue gap.
I dont doubt we could. I have serious doubts about if we will. History isnt on our side.

jim_57

Staff member
Are we still doing this plastic vs Nswrl thing, please can we grow up and move on... 18th team people... hell ill even talk about the 19th or 20th team

Wouldn’t surprise me if/when the time comes for another SEQ team Sunshine Coast and/or Ipswich go for stand alone bids not as “Brisbane 3”. Sunshine Coast is somewhat “claimed” by the Dolphins but 1 game a year isn’t going to stop a bid for a standalone team if the desire & backing is there.

Wouldn’t be surprised if CQ reappears either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn’t surprise me if/when the time comes for another SEQ team Sunshine Coast and/or Ipswich go for stand alone bids not as “Brisbane 3”. Sunshine Coast is somewhat “claimed” by the Dolphins but 1 game a year isn’t going to stop a bid for a standalone team if the desire & backing is there.

Depends how good the stadium upgrade is, and also the financial backing available. Population isnt huge at 300k and its spread out over 1600sqkm. Not sure its big enough to sustain a $20mil a year FC revenue NRL club. Ipswich I could see, though NRL would probably insist on them being THE and covering the whole Southern Brisbane region.

Pippen94

First Grade

It's not going to be sunshine coast. It'll be in Brisbane

xe_kilroy

Juniors
I'm almost expecting Sunshine Coast to be team 18 or 19. Hands off QLD AFL, fast growth area like Perth, doesn't impede on Brisbane, the whole SoO celebrated so much so therefore more QLD teams needed.

Wb1234

Referee
One brief glimmering moment, and we still managed to f**k that up!
Not we
You and other selfish clubs like you

and then news ltd owned a share in the game for 20 years

but ignore all that and say rugby league is afraid to expand lmao