What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Yes, I remember!
but luckily I was at the 79 GF.
(And 96 & 99) :(

when I was about 8 my Mum got me a hand-me-down Saints jersey from somewhere, with no 1 on the back.
Much later I met Changa and got him to sign a footy card. Met Stoney and he introduced me to Barry Beath (another favourite). Ah, memories.
I was at 99

choc and tingha were fire

after bennett left it was so depressing that’s on doust bennett wanted a five year deal and doust said no you’re too old I’ll do 3 years

Wb1234

Referee
You think a 105% increase in ten years is inflation? Avg inflation rate over last decade is less than 2%. Get your hand off it.

no you’ve picked a single metric to justify your biased opinion. More people watch the game on tv and attend games in nsw and qlnd than they did pre expansion. Fact, just like more people will attend and watch nrl in perth if we ever get a club. Fact,
The number of people who watch the game is the most important metric

we win and it’s not close

afl has spent billions to be second best

Perth Red

Post Whore
The number of people who watch the game is the most important metric

we win and it’s not close

afl has spent billions to be second best
I’d rather have the money but each to their own. you can’t spend tv audience numbers on grassroots, assets and growth. Our bigger number of arses on couches isn’t translating to bigger tv deals. Fact.

RU and RL have very different demographics and RL and RL holds a geographical advantage over the AFL that is not fully leveraged yet.
The fact that RU is tied with the richer demogrqphics while RL is followed predominantly by the working class proves the games are cannibalising one another. Fumbleball has no class divide.

RL and RU compete for the same type of athletes. If RU didn't exist then RL would be much bigger.

Yes I do think we will. For a few reasons (sorry to repeat, but just for the sake of laying out the points):

- They have gone on a massive expansion run, we haven't yet
- They have first class stadia for every team, we don't yet
- They have fully leveraged their game commercially, we haven't yet

I get what you are saying. It's all for us to do and it's 2023 and hasn't been done yet. But it is clear that the NRL now understand that expansion means more TV $$$, that's a start. It's also clear that the NRL understand that NZ and SEQ are underleveraged and want to do something about it. Yes, we'll see if it all happens but if (yes if) we get it right we could absolutely make up the revenue gap.
I'm not confident of the ARLC getting its act together and expanding into new frontiers. They've got an enthusiastic WA Government and businessmen from Perth begging for a licence, yet their response is "talk with the Bears". AwFuL wouldn't turn down an offer that good.

Last edited:
I'm almost expecting Sunshine Coast to be team 18 or 19. Hands off QLD AFL, fast growth area like Perth, doesn't impede on Brisbane, the whole SoO celebrated so much so therefore more QLD teams needed.

The Sunshine Coast Falcons survive on a shoestring budget. The local economy just isn't big enough to support an NRL team. For the same reason you can write off the Ipswich Jets and CQ Capras entering the NRL.

If there's another Queensland team it will be the Brisbane Tigers.

Not we
You and other selfish clubs like you

and then news ltd owned a share in the game for 20 years

but ignore all that and say rugby league is afraid to expand lmao

The model presented by Arthurson and Quayle was flawed and heavily biased in favour of the Sydney clubs. It forced the Reds and Cowboys to cover the flight and accommodation of all teams that travelled to Perth and Townsville. This stipulation was requested by representatives of the Sydney clubs. It bankrupted the Reds and Cowboys. If you cannot see why the two clubs signed when News Ltd when they had no money left in the bank then you're a braindead moron.

Dark Corner

Juniors
The fact that RU is tied with the richer demogrqphics while RL is followed predominantly by the working class proves the games are cannibalising one another. Fumbleball has no class divide.

RL and RU compete for the same type of athletes. If RU didn't exist then RL would be much bigger.
And if I was heads of both codes I be talking about some sort of agreement of becoming one again BUT Union needs to be less complicated ala League rules but the old farts of World Rugby would rather see their own club game die then do go all flash like Rugby League.

Last edited:

Dark Corner

Juniors
Depends how good the stadium upgrade is, and also the financial backing available. Population isnt huge at 300k and its spread out over 1600sqkm. Not sure its big enough to sustain a $20mil a year FC revenue NRL club. Ipswich I could see, though NRL would probably insist on them being THE and covering the whole Southern Brisbane region.
So why are Sunshine Coast expanding capacity ?

jim_57

Staff member
Depends how good the stadium upgrade is, and also the financial backing available. Population isnt huge at 300k and its spread out over 1600sqkm. Not sure its big enough to sustain a $20mil a year FC revenue NRL club. Ipswich I could see, though NRL would probably insist on them being THE and covering the whole Southern Brisbane region.

SCS is meant to go to 16k with the option of temp seats for 20k. So not big enough for a full time team yet but it wouldn’t take too much after that to take it to 25k. More likely Dolphins “cover” the area with 2-3 games than they get their own team.

Ipswich/Western Corridor I could see getting a stadium and just playing their derby games Suncorp. That was their plan last time from memory. I’d say Ipswich is the more likely of the 2 but the NRL will probably want them to brand themselves as Brisbane 3 and/or partner with Easts.

CQ may throw their hat back in the ring too but they’re still not much of a chance.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm not confident of the ARLC getting its act together and expanding into new frontiers. They've got an enthusiastic WA Government and businessmen from Perth begging for a licence, yet their response is "talk with the Bears". AwFuL wouldn't turn down an offer that good.
Abdo has said that by 2027 we'll have 18 mens and 18 womens NRL teams. So we'll be expanding to somewhere... and it probably won't be SEQ again so soon after the Dolphins so we are left with Perth, PNG or NZ2 all will be new markets for the NRL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Agree with those points, luckily we are burying Union by the day in this country. We've even gotten around the Private Schools thing by sending RL players to those schools on scholarships and giving them a contract at the end of it.

blukablu

Juniors

Not sure about Sydney but I don't know if this is true in Brisbane anymore.

I went to a top GPS school and the majority of my social circle went to GPS schools as well. We all played Union and barely anyone I know even watches Union anymore, they are all NRL fans now.

mongoose

Coach
I like the idea of a Sunshine Coast side. There is a lot more chance of them getting the necessary stadium upgrades than either Ipswich or even Redcliffe. It's too small now but its an area to keep an eye on.... There are plans for the Sunshine coast to be a tech hub, specifically Maroochydore area. Though i'm sure there is half a dozen regions in the country that have claimed they will become a mini silicon valley.

Wb1234

Referee
Sunshine Coast is dolphin territory

they should be north Brisbane and play most games at Suncorp and a few on the sunny coast and none in redcliffe

their qld cup team need to link with the dolphins that’s a joke

jim_57

Staff member
Sunshine Coast is dolphin territory

they should be north Brisbane and play most games at Suncorp and a few on the sunny coast and none in redcliffe

their qld cup team need to link with the dolphins that’s a joke

As we’ve just seen with Burleigh aligning with the Broncos geography doesn’t mean a whole lot in these deals, probably even less going forward. SCF are obviously happy enough with their Storm link for now.

Latest posts