What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
You miss the point. Afl wanted more content to sell. That requires two new clubs. It was going to cost them $30mill plus whoever they brought in.
Yeh but they could’ve brought in teams who would’ve grown their ratings and not be a financial drain on the competition

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh but they could’ve brought in teams who would’ve grown their ratings and not be a financial drain on the competition
You miss the point again. They have an expansion (for many years) strategy to be the national footy code. Bringing in perth3 and say tassie back then does not assist them in their metro footprint growth strategy, so yes if it was about safety and a quick sugar hit on number of fans then they wouldnt have gone where they went, but their goal is much bigger and longer game plan than that. And it’s not like their tv deals have suffered in choosing what they did is it?

You might not agree or think it’s a good goal, or that it’s achievable , but that’s what they are aiming for and so far with a $350mill revenue gap betweeen the codes it’s certainly paying off for them. And it’s in reality only costing them $20-30mill a year extra to aim for that.

Wb1234

Referee
You miss the point again. They have an expansion (for many years) strategy to be the national footy code. Bringing in perth3 and say tassie back then does not assist them in their metro footprint growth strategy, so yes if it was about safety and a quick sugar hit on number of fans then they wouldnt have gone where they went, but their goal is much bigger and longer game plan than that. And it’s not like their tv deals have suffered in choosing what they did is it?

You might not agree or think it’s a good goal, or that it’s achievable , but that’s what they are aiming for and so far with a $350mill revenue gap betweeen the codes it’s certainly paying off for them. And it’s in reality only costing them $20-30mill a year extra to aim for that.
Afl dots on a map strategy
Nrl building real clubs

Wb1234

Referee

If you were to add crowd sizes and TV viewership for the entire season, the NRL would total 140.78 million people, while the AFL would reach 133.28 million people.

It gets better for rugby league, as those figures don’t include State of Origin, which attracted an additional 9.39 million viewers, while 2.61 million watched the international representative matches, boosting rugby league’s combined TV viewership and live attendance to 153.05 million. That’s 23 million more TV viewers or an extra 20 million people in the crowd that rugby league had over Aussie rules with only one extra game overall.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
When nrl reserve grad is back within a few years these links ups will be for jnrs only anyways.
I thought one of the driving strategies for the return of the reserve grade was so that the clubs could have a full match schedule to try and boost crowds. I wonder whether the growth of the women`s comp sort of nullifies that. I seriously suspect that having the NRLW game on the undercard would be a bigger draw than a reserves game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought one of the driving strategies for the return of the reserve grade was so that the clubs could have a full match schedule to try and boost crowds. I wonder whether the growth of the women`s comp sort of nullifies that. I seriously suspect that having the NRLW game on the undercard would be a bigger draw than a reserves game.
Reserve grade was a cost cutting exercise when clubs were struggling. It is the preferred model fir nearly all the clubs. Now money is flowing I expect clubs will push hard for reintroduction and funding to cover it. See nq cowboys.

Wb1234

Referee
No they have more when you combine because it’s so popular on tv.
Active fans ie members and people who go to games were not in the same league,
Lmao keep posting bs

afl has more fans because each head is counted twice

fact is rugby league has more people watching its games than afl

Dark Corner

Juniors
I like the idea of a Sunshine Coast side. There is a lot more chance of them getting the necessary stadium upgrades than either Ipswich or even Redcliffe. It's too small now but its an area to keep an eye on.... There are plans for the Sunshine coast to be a tech hub, specifically Maroochydore area. Though i'm sure there is half a dozen regions in the country that have claimed they will become a mini silicon valley.
Just sex up the Qld Cup as well as NSW and their you have a mini NRL expand and push the smaller areas for semi-pro league's.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Just sex up the Qld Cup as well as NSW and their you have a mini NRL expand and push the smaller areas for semi-pro league's.
That's what should be happening, but I doubt it ever will.

The sport's too top heavy and there's no way that the NRL can sustain all the markets it needs to without rationalisation or significant changes to the structure of the competition. I also doubt that the comp or culture of the sport will be ready for such significant structural changes, like e.g. conferences or P&R, anytime soon, or will ever accept genuine attempts to rationalise the NRL again.

Latest posts