What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
As we’ve just seen with Burleigh aligning with the Broncos geography doesn’t mean a whole lot in these deals, probably even less going forward. SCF are obviously happy enough with their Storm link for now.
That’s even worse

qrl shouldn’t allow these deals

Wb1234

Referee
Dolphins have Redcliffe, Norths & CQ not like they need more feeder teams. Burleigh doesn’t make much sense but Titans will find someone else, maybe Toowoomba where they’ve played games in the past. A North Coast NSW team in NSW Cup would be good but won’t happen.
Cq should be cowboys lol

yeh tweed heads down to Coffs should be titans too

jim_57

Staff member
Cq should be cowboys lol

yeh tweed heads down to Coffs should be titans too

Rockhampton is marginally closer to Brisbane than Townsville so Dolphins make as much sense as any other, they would technically be the closest team. CQ always had a pretty strong following for both Broncos & Cowboys, being half way between the 2 it’s a bit of a no man’s land. In fact a lot of their NRL bid narrative was built around “filling the gap” between the Brisbane & North Queensland.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
A number pf people have mentioned it already, but not a lot of people are giving it much of a chance....and i dont think theres even been any media talk of it, let alone rumors of a bid....but....a second Melbourne team as 18 makes a lot of sense.

Got rivalries in Sydney and Brisbane now, so a Melbourne rivalry would surely be desirable. Plus the whole big market thing that everyone talks about for-against Perth etc, well Melbourne is a huge market.

Melbourne-2 and NZ-2 would be ideal asap. So one spot left for Perth perhaps.

Yes/No?

Perth Red

Post Whore
A number pf people have mentioned it already, but not a lot of people are giving it much of a chance....and i dont think theres even been any media talk of it, let alone rumors of a bid....but....a second Melbourne team as 18 makes a lot of sense.

Got rivalries in Sydney and Brisbane now, so a Melbourne rivalry would surely be desirable. Plus the whole big market thing that everyone talks about for-against Perth etc, well Melbourne is a huge market.

Yes/No?
No, there just isnt the demand for a second club. It’d struggle to get 10k fans and what would be its point of difference from the Storm for fans or sponsors? If we had no where left to expand to and we wanted more content and we’re really serious about nrl becoming much bigger in Victoria maybe. But that’s not the case.

Bukowski

Juniors
Abdo has said that by 2027 we'll have 18 mens and 18 womens NRL teams. So we'll be expanding to somewhere... and it probably won't be SEQ again so soon after the Dolphins so we are left with Perth, PNG or NZ2 all will be new markets for the NRL.
Any issues around PNG fielding a women's team? I'm not sure of their culture

Peach & Apricot

Juniors

Yes/No?

they already have rivalries with Cronulla and Manly. There isn't the market interest to sustain a second Melbourne team.

Wb1234

Referee
No, there just isnt the demand for a second club. It’d struggle to get 10k fans and what would be its point of difference from the Storm for fans or sponsors? If we had no where left to expand to and we wanted more content and we’re really serious about nrl becoming much bigger in Victoria maybe. But that’s not the case.
There you go

why afl expansion has failed

flippikat

Bench

Yes/No?
I honestly can't see any demand for it, and while we have Perth just sitting there without any NRL team it just seems fanciful.

Especially when we consider that the Storm could well be in decline in the next few seasons - splitting the NRL supporter base there when fans could be dropping off is risky stuff.

Santino Patane

Juniors
I like the idea of a Sunshine Coast side. There is a lot more chance of them getting the necessary stadium upgrades than either Ipswich or even Redcliffe. It's too small now but its an area to keep an eye on.... There are plans for the Sunshine coast to be a tech hub, specifically Maroochydore area. Though i'm sure there is half a dozen regions in the country that have claimed they will become a mini silicon valley.
I’d be one of the first lifetime members of the Falcons if they made the NRL but at 41, I very much my doubt it will happen in my lifetime. In the NRL’s eyes they covered the area in letting the Dolphins in. One can dream to see the mighty Black & Gold in the Big League! Perth, NZ2, PNG, Adelaide and probably some dumb shit zombie return of 2 or 3 NSW teams are surely ahead of the Sunny Coast, some rightfully so, some not so….

Perth Red

Post Whore
There you go

why afl expansion has failed
Like I said the big difference is they already had the metro footprint they wanted with 16 clubs. That gave them the option to play the long game with two clubs in less than ideal locations but that meet their strategic plans, all be it requiring significant investment.

as mentioned it would be a akin to the nrl having the national footprint it wanted and then adding in say melbourne2 or perth2 and darwin to generate more nrl content And increase revenue by more than it would cost. $500mill+ (and more to come a year) extra revenue would suggest it’s proving anything other than a failure.

Wb1234

Referee
Like I said the big difference is they already had the metro footprint they wanted with 16 clubs. That gave them the option to play the long game with two clubs in less than ideal locations but that meet their strategic plans, all be it requiring significant investment.

as mentioned it would be a akin to the nrl having the national footprint it wanted and then adding in say melbourne2 or perth2 and darwin to generate more nrl content And increase revenue by more than it would cost. $500mill+ (and more to come a year) extra revenue would suggest it’s proving anything other than a failure.
Adding two teams nobody wanted and spending a billion dollars on them hoping they will work out doesn’t seem smart to me

jim_57

Staff member

Yes/No?

If we had teams in Perth, Adelaide, Christchurch etc and were in a position to be ambitious then maybe, but we’re a fair way from that. Ideally you’d want Storm averaging 25k+ and in very good financial health before admitting another Melbourne team, even then you could always just keep pushing the Storm and try turn that 25k in to 35k with an upgrade to AAMI Park.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Adding two teams nobody wanted and spending a billion dollars on them hoping they will work out doesn’t seem smart to me
Again you’re being very fanciful in your half truths again. The avg afl grant is around $16mill. So each of those clubs in reality is costing the afl around $10mill a year more than if 17&18 and had been no risk heartland new clubs. And even then they have some heartland clubs they fund just as much as gws and suns so no guarantee the new expansion clubs if in heartland wouldn’t have cost similar.

$20mill a year extra for delivering a national strategy and a $500mill a year increase? hmmmm

Wb1234

Referee
Again you’re being very fanciful in your half truths again. The avg afl grant is around $16mill. So each of those clubs in reality is costing the afl around $10mill a year more than if 17&18 and had been no risk heartland new clubs. And even then they have some heartland clubs they fund just as much as gws and suns so no guarantee the new expansion clubs if in heartland wouldn’t have cost similar.

$20mill a year extra for delivering a national strategy and a $500mill a year increase? hmmmm
Suns 28 million
Giants 25 million

53 million pa

and then have no fans

and they get smashed on tv by nrl

Perth Red

Post Whore
Suns 28 million
Giants 25 million

53 million pa

and then have no fans

and they get smashed on tv by nrl
You miss the point. Afl wanted more content to sell. That requires two new clubs. It was going to cost them $30mill plus whoever they brought in.

Latest posts