What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's good to see Ch9 Perth talking about the game. A team in Perth is looking likelier everyday. Attracting sell out crowds of 42k for a.double header is impressive. I doubt Melbourne could do it. I know it's only a one off event, but it shows there is potential.

Maybe a Perth team could average 15k with a mid-table roster?

Could be anywhere from 12-16k, depending on team form and other factors.
I expect we’ll be n the 15-17k range most games. Probably 2-3 sell outs a year at hbf park.
14k crowd avg and 20k membership gives the club the revenue it needs, corporate support being there. Pirate merch sales will be through the roof.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I expect we’ll be n the 15-17k range most games. Probably 2-3 sell outs a year at hbf park.
14k crowd avg and 20k membership gives the club the revenue it needs, corporate support being there. Pirate merch sales will be through the roof.
And you'll be at a dorkers game.

Wb1234

Referee
I spoke to lot of local Perth people yesterday, all very positive comments, and some surprising statements especially relating to the amount of games they’d expect played in WA.
Lots of “Go the Bears” comments, I got a heap of messages saying that I got on the tv a few times as well lol.
View attachment 77807
Bradman best has so much potential he could be the best centre in the game

Wb1234

Referee
Can I please get a who's who in the team set up?
It used to be PR/GROTD vs anyone/everyone
then it looked like Pippen and WB had an alliance
Now it looks like Pippen and GROTK are in the same bed
Pneuma and Colk still seem to hate all Pippens, throw in some potatoes to GROTD
Where is WB now? PR hates all PVL(Vince McMahon)

I loved WWF Attitude Era. I'm kind of getting that alliances are water bed moving, trying to get the "entertainment" into WW* *

In my mind you are all entertaining, keep it up. Truth.
If Perth red shuts up I’m on the Perth nrl bandwagon

*after png

Wb1234

Referee
Expansion forum is full of bitter ex super leaguers whose idea of expansion matches John ribots

desperately trying to weaken rugby league in Sydney and turn the nrl into a plastic competiton with no history

It would be great to take a few fans away from the Force.

Pippen94

First Grade
Can I please get a who's who in the team set up?
It used to be PR/GROTD vs anyone/everyone
then it looked like Pippen and WB had an alliance
Now it looks like Pippen and GROTK are in the same bed
Pneuma and Colk still seem to hate all Pippens, throw in some potatoes to GROTD
Where is WB now? PR hates all PVL(Vince McMahon)

I loved WWF Attitude Era. I'm kind of getting that alliances are water bed moving, trying to get the "entertainment" into WW* *

In my mind you are all entertaining, keep it up. Truth.

I'd like to think I'm this place's answer to Stone Cold Steve Austin, but I'm probably closer to Orange Cassidy (which is OK by me).
Colk is the brooklyn brawler coz he only takes losses..

flippikat

Bench
Expansion forum is full of bitter ex super leaguers whose idea of expansion matches John ribots

desperately trying to weaken rugby league in Sydney and turn the nrl into a plastic competiton with no history
Oh, alright.. you got me.. yeah, I want 1 team in Sydney and the following NRL teams here in Wellington:

Aro Valley Crusties
Petone Brunchers
Wainuiomata Lions
Porirua Bros
Avalon Suburbanites
Upper Hutt Bogans
Eastern Suburbs Gridlock
Tawa Steeplemen
Kapiti Coast Greyrinse

Colk

First Grade
I'd like to think I'm this place's answer to Stone Cold Steve Austin, but I'm probably closer to Orange Cassidy (which is OK by me).
Colk is the brooklyn brawler coz he only takes losses..

You like wrestling. That confirms your level of intellect (if there was ever any doubt)

Wb1234

Referee
They will do better than the storm crowd wise and also corporate wise

they won’t need the same level of success the storm have had purely because wa is more receptive to rugby league than Melbourne

Pippen94

First Grade

Won't do those numbers. Also, any team relying on game day income is set up to fail.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Not sure about this. You don't really need much to dress up like a pirate and you can easily buy eye patches etc on the cheap. The official merchandise may sell first up not sure after that.

Colk

First Grade
Yeah, but this place not exactly Mensa, so I can do fine here..

You’re right it isn’t Mensa. However you shouldn’t be making cracks at anybody else’s intellect if you’re watching or enjoying wrestling.

FMD there is low brow and then there is wrestling.

Won't do those numbers. Also, any team relying on game day income is set up to fail.

What are your predictions for a Perth-based team?

I think the club will generate no fewer than 12k fans per game during lean times. When they're going well on the field then they'll probably get 15k. Might even get more than 18k if they've got a great side like Penrith/Melbourne.

I'm interested to know how much they can generate from sponsorship and corporate hospitality. Perth is much bigger now than it was in 1995. The big upside for a Perth NRL team is it will provide its sponsors with visibility in Brisbane and Sydney. Regional Queensland and New South Wales is also very large, so the visibility in those areas will appeal to sponsors, too.

20k members should be doable if the club is given enough promotion in the media.

We won't know whether these predictions hold any validity until the team is on the field.

I'm grateful that V'landys has created all of this discussion and excitement about expansion. The game was stagnant under Greenberg and became boring. V'landys has made it interesting again.