What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Back to more interesting things, headline in The Western Australian today:

Rugby League: Could a future WA-based NRL side take their home games to regional centres?​

"The potential of a future WA-based National Rugby League team playing home matches in regional WA is presently being explored.

"With traction for WA to be included as the NRL’s 18th team in 2027 — in line with the league’s next broadcast deal — a research project into whether a WA club would not only be viable, but also demanded by the public, has been established by the State government, along with a designated working committee."

Couldn`t open the article, but it looks like W.A. gov`t are really putting some work into this. Exciting times.

Wb1234

Referee

Rugby League: Could a future WA-based NRL side take their home games to regional centres?​

"The potential of a future WA-based National Rugby League team playing home matches in regional WA is presently being explored.

"With traction for WA to be included as the NRL’s 18th team in 2027 — in line with the league’s next broadcast deal — a research project into whether a WA club would not only be viable, but also demanded by the public, has been established by the State government, along with a designated working committee."

Couldn`t open the article, but it looks like W.A. gov`t are really putting some work into this. Exciting times.

Isn’t most of wa population in Perth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Apart from no suitable stadiums and little population outside of perth it sounds a great idea lol

the games got a good foothold in the SW so I could see trial games taken to mandurah or Bunbury maybe

jim_57

Staff member

Trials sure but hard to see any games being worth taking away from Perth. Bunbury is the only decently sized town at 75k and it doesn’t seem to have any kind of stadium just an oval, it’s not that far out of Perth anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The most interesting part of that article was the mention of the year 2027 … a specific timeline …
Except the next tv deal starts in 2028. If they are planning a new team for perth for then then they need to be announcing on 2025/26 to give them time to build the club.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Except the next tv deal starts in 2028. If they are planning a new team for perth for then then they need to be announcing on 2025/26 to give them time to build the club.

.I was just referring what the article says ‘ with traction for the NRL team to be included by 2027”…

Any article I have read on the subject ( and most get posted here) have not been specific around the year 2027 before.., whilst it would be common sense to do it before the next TV deal no doubt

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Trials sure but hard to see any games being worth taking away from Perth. Bunbury is the only decently sized town at 75k and it doesn’t seem to have any kind of stadium just an oval, it’s not that far out of Perth anyway.
I suppose the important thing for me is that the W.A. Govt`s working committee is consulting these communities even if only to gauge interest in a potential NRL team for the state. They certainly sound like they remain very serious and things are happening and that`s what I want to hear.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d like the WA govt to come out and tell us what they are putting on the table. Put some pressure on the nrl to make the right decision. Vlandys has been shown he’s a show pony and some media pressure will influence him.

The Great Dane

First Grade
So no violence when it’s only png locals at hunters games but if Aussies come there will be somehow

all those qld cup teams who visit you would think Aussie family and friends would attend
For obvious reasons violence between support groups is significantly more likely than violence within a support group, and it's ridiculous that you'd pretend otherwise. There's a reason that authorities separate the two team's fans everywhere there're issues with hooliganism and violence at sports.

I also highly, highly, doubt that the family and friends of Q Cup teams have been traveling to PNG to watch games on average, and I'd guarantee that there'd be some sort of security measures for any that did.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I’d like the WA govt to come out and tell us what they are putting on the table. Put some pressure on the nrl to make the right decision. Vlandys has been shown he’s a show pony and some media pressure will influence him.
They'd have to have a clear idea of what direction they want go in before they could do that, and my understanding is that they're still exploring the options

Perth Red

Post Whore
They'd have to have a clear idea of what direction they want go in before they could do that, and my understanding is that they're still exploring the options
They could really sway media and public opinion though if they came out and said they were putting $200million on the table.at the least I’m hoping we see hbf upgrade and a c of e for rugby league out of them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
They could really sway media and public opinion though if they came out and said they were putting $200million on the table.at the least I’m hoping we see hbf upgrade and a c of e for rugby league out of them.
You have to know that you want to spend $200mil before you can, and I'm not sure that they want to do that lol. Especially not when they've already renovated HBF under the impression that it'd attract an NRL side.

I think a centre of excellence and at least minor upgrades to HBF, on top of increased public support for grassroots and development, would be basic demands from the NRL. So blowing your load early and promising them now would put the WA gov and eventual bid into a bad position from which to negotiate. All they'd achieve by doing it is to invite the NRL to make bigger demands of them, or incentivise other bids to try and outdo their offer.

Nah, wait until the bidding process starts and give the NRL all their reasonable demands, that way you get out as cheap as possible, and the NRL are happy that they're getting a good deal.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I also highly, highly, doubt that the family and friends of Q Cup teams have been traveling to PNG to watch games on average, and I'd guarantee that there'd be some sort of security measures for any that did.
I will message my sons friends who play for Tweed Seagulls and Wynnum Manly and see what they say about the other players families.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I will message my sons friends who play for Tweed Seagulls and Wynnum Manly and see what they say about the other players families.
I really don't care that much. It's rare to whatever degree it's happening at all, it's irrelevant from the point that's actually being made, and he's an f**king idiot for bringing it up in the first place.

He's basically placed himself into the position of being forced to argue that PNG doesn't have serious issues with violence and that it isn't probable that hooliganism and violence will be an issue in PNG to at least some degree, which is nonsense on face value. He has already been presented with multiple examples of sport related violence in PNG, and there's no reason to believe that that wouldn't extent to, and be exacerbated by, the presence of large groups of opposition fans.

His point of view is typical of those of the people whom vehemently support a PNG side in that it comes from a place of complete ignorance of the extent of the issues that PNG faces as a society, and what can actually be done to address them.

Latest posts