What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

taipan

Referee
who cares about %, we are talking jnr pools in NRl club regions. In Cronulla its 5,400 ish, in perth its around 3,500 at moment a Perth NRl club would have influence on. We arent as far off as some on here like to think. Im not being critical of jnr numbers in cronulla region, as said its one of the strongest in RL heartland, just pointing out that Perth isnt as far away in terms of jnr player pool numbers as the misinformed keep thinking.
You brought up the 5,400 using the term only, you got the response . The area is pulling their weight with juniors.
When you have other rl areas in Sydney with far less juniors, I'm stating the obvious something's amiss.

Wb1234

Referee
who cares about %, we are talking jnr pools in NRl club regions. In Cronulla its 5,400 ish, in perth its around 3,500 at moment a Perth NRl club would have influence on. We arent as far off as some on here like to think. Im not being critical of jnr numbers in cronulla region, as said its one of the strongest in RL heartland, just pointing out that Perth isnt as far away in terms of jnr player pool numbers as the misinformed keep thinking.
Sharks juniors are worth ten times Perth juniors

Iamback

Coach
Out of a population of as at 2022 : 231,273

That's a far higher % of the population involved in rl juniors than any NRL club. 2.33%

Perth would kill to get even .5% of their 2.14m people(10,700 juniors),so your puerile attempt stating there's only 5,400 juniors in Cronulla region looks silly drawing comparisons.

Correct, Now you have expanded into Coffs it will expand that number further

mongoose

Coach
LU logic:

Western Reds crowds are irrelevant because that was 30 years ago, but participation rates in Perth during the same period are more meaningful than the amount playing the game today!

And...

Getting 10k people in WA to play the game will solve all problems!
or;

GROTD logic: Perth crowds in the mid 90s indicate there will be weak support for a Perth team in the 2020s. Participant numbers in the 90s are irrelevant though.

taipan

Referee
Nah 50% of 100 people is much better than 1% of a million.
Never suggested it was. My point based on PR 's original comment about Cronulla's only 5,400 juniors.
FWIW In fact I remember there were surveys in this country as to the numbers of people interested in a sport( they showed %) in states .Very interested, interest, token interest, no interest etc.

Wb1234

Referee
I'm just backing the club over the numbers of players and interest in the Shire . Showing it is a strong rl area.
To make it in Sydney you have to compete against the best kids

to make it in Perth you compete with nobody

Sydney juniors are the elite

if we just counted anybody like Perth does the numbers would be ten times

Iamback

Coach
Never suggested it was. My point based on PR 's original comment about Cronulla's only 5,400 juniors.
FWIW In fact I remember there were surveys in this country as to the numbers of people interested in a sport( they showed %) in states .Very interested, interest, token interest, no interest etc.

Yep.

V8 Supercars was higher than NRL in Adelaide.... Yet some on here want a side there

or;

GROTD logic: Perth crowds in the mid 90s indicate there will be weak support for a Perth team in the 2020s. Participant numbers in the 90s are irrelevant though.
If participation has more than halved then why do people on here expect the fan base to increase?

I'm adding some much needed objectivity to the topic. If we're going to talk up the potential benefits then we need to acknowledge the negatives. We had to put up with you, Perth Dread and The Great Dope arguing that Redcliffe were going to be a disaster over the last 3 years.

There's a strong possibility that Perth could be an absolute disaster that sets the game back.

If participation has more than halved then why do people on here expect the fan base to increase?

I'm adding some much needed objectivity to the topic. If we're going to talk up the potential benefits then we need to acknowledge the negatives. We had to put up with you, Perth Dread and The Great Dope arguing that Redcliffe were going to be a disaster over the last 3 years.

There's a strong possibility that Perth could be an absolute disaster that sets the game back.
Listening to the Rugby League Digest podcast and their superb SL analysis, they described some of the difficulties the Reds faced and that they were in debt by over million before a ball had even been kicked! Quite rightly, the game is in no rush to go there although I admit I would like to see a team there eventually but not before NZ II at least.

Listening to the Rugby League Digest podcast and their superb SL analysis, they described some of the difficulties the Reds faced and that they were in debt by over million before a ball had even been kicked! Quite rightly, the game is in no rush to go there although I admit I would like to see a team there eventually but not before NZ II at least.
The bloke who sponsored the financially destitute Reds is leading the Perth bid. I wouldn't be giving him an NRL licence after what happened with the Reds. News Ltd bailed the club out in 1996, then shut them down a year later.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You brought up the 5,400 using the term only, you got the response . The area is pulling their weight with juniors.
When you have other rl areas in Sydney with far less juniors, I'm stating the obvious something's amiss.
I said “only“ in the context of perth having 3,500 jnrs, ie not that many more.

Perth Red

Post Whore
According to the chairman of the time they were fine until arl imposed a third teams travel costs and he reckons they’d still have been ok if SL war hadn’t broken out. So chairman of the day or some podcaster? I know who I’ll believe.

Latest posts