What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Maximus

Coach
If participation has more than halved then why do people on here expect the fan base to increase?

The guy who thinks most of Brisbane won't follow a team because they don't have one in their specific suburb, is confused why a city that doesn't have a team lost a lot of its fan base.

So not having a team in your suburb is an excuse to not support a team if you are in Brisbane, but people in Perth are expected to support a team in a different city.

The guy who thinks most of Brisbane won't follow a team because they don't have one in their specific suburb, is confused why a city that doesn't have a team lost a lot of its fan base.

So not having a team in your suburb is an excuse to not support a team if you are in Brisbane, but people in Perth are expected to support a team in a different city.
Poor old Maxipad doesn't know the difference between a suburb and a city.

According to the chairman of the time they were fine until arl imposed a third teams travel costs and he reckons they’d still have been ok if SL war hadn’t broken out. So chairman of the day or some podcaster? I know who I’ll believe.

Are you talking about Laurie Puddy?

The Reds were in serious debt. Of course you'll deny all of this because you don't want to accept it.

There’s only 5,400 juniors in Cronulla region,and that’s supposed to be second biggest rl nursery in Sydney!
I'm just going to correct you on your numbers mate as your figure is rubbery, not having a go, just correcting.
CSJRL had, as of June 20th 2023, 5538 players.
This was an increase of 10.46% from the previous season, which is a wonderful percentage growth.
This growth is mainly in the womens/girls competitions.
CSJRL women's competitions I think have the largest/fastest growth happening in all of the NRL stratosphere. I read that somewhere but cannot find the link, so I could be wrong on that.
What I do know is that the women's numbers grew by 10.45% up from 2022, which is a fantastic growth rate.
The Shire will be very close to breaking 6k players this year.

I honestly believe that if WA had a team earmarked to come into the NRL that the WARL juniors would have a similar percentage increase.
I lived in Perth 92/93 I saw first hand what happened after the Reds were announced to be joining the ARL. Rugby League was booming, and the locals did in fact embrace the sport.
It wouldn't surprise me if it went even more gang busters if a Perth team was announced as the 18th.

According to the chairman of the time they were fine until arl imposed a third teams travel costs and he reckons they’d still have been ok if SL war hadn’t broken out. So chairman of the day or some podcaster? I know who I’ll believe.
You reckon the chairman gave an honest account of his performance without bias? The podcaster is a journalist and has interviewed some of the stakeholders and used existing literature as sources. I’d go with the podcaster in this case because doing a shitty job won’t bode well for future job prospects, you’d think. I actually thought of you on this particular episode and wondered what you would make of it. He exposes f**k ups by both sides of the war, you should give it a listen.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
Poor old Maxipad doesn't know the difference between a suburb and a city.

Poor old donkey had his dumb, inconsistent garbage pointed out again.

Donkey - has 2 teams he could support, but won't because they aren't located in his specific suburb
Also Donkey - demands Perth fans support a team from Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane otherwise they aren't really fans

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh bs

just an excuse to justify taking Murdochs blood money by saying it’s the arl fault

Maybe csnberra and Penrith had genuine reasons to go to super league for the rest it was about greed

sl war wouldn’t have broken out of Perth didn’t join it

Wb1234

Referee
Perth bid summed up

guys it he’s no value for Aussie tv companies. Look at the storms ratings in melbourne

perth fans >>> give us time we will grow viewers

trust me bro

Guys it’s doubtful you can produce many nrl players from your weak junior base

Perth fans >>> we will be different to Melbourne give us time

Trust me bro

guys both soccer and union collpased in Perth after being well established

Perth fans >> we will be different

Trust me bro

Guys we tried a club there before crowds dropped and it was a major failure

perth fans >>> this time it will work

trust me bro

mongoose

Coach
Perth bid summed up

guys it he’s no value for Aussie tv companies. Look at the storms ratings in melbourne

trust me bro

Just because the Storm get comparatively low ratings in Melbourne, does not mean they add no value. You're a fool for making this assumption.

Trust me bro

League is completely off the radar in Perth, probably because they are not in the NRL. Grassroots and Pathways will require a lot of work and dedication to build but there's no reason why it can't be. Agree that the Storm and NRL have failed in this area with regards to Victoria but they are taking some positive steps.

Trust me bro

yeah this argument is rubbish, A League and Rugby is doing poorly everywhere. Clutching at straws here....

trust me bro

LOL how many times seriously? Crushers, Gold Coast, Souths, Norths, Wests, Illawarra all FAILED during this period. You just conveniently ignore these other clubs when you bring up this flimsy argument.

Yeh bs

just an excuse to justify taking Murdochs blood money by saying it’s the arl fault

Maybe csnberra and Penrith had genuine reasons to go to super league for the rest it was about greed

sl war wouldn’t have broken out of Perth didn’t join it

To be fair, the game wasn't in a position to fund expansion in 1995 and was getting ripped off by Packer. The broadcast deal with Packer was worth just $10m per annum. Packer was given the rights without competition and paid less than what it was worth. Each club got a grant of just $200k. The salary cap was some where between $1.2-1.8m. Clubs like North Sydney and Western Suburbs might still be around if it wasn't for Packer's greed.

Expansion should have been delayed until the next broadcast deal began in 2000.

Perth bid summed up

trust me bro

Trust me bro

Trust me bro

trust me bro
Deep down the clowns pushing for a Perth-based team know it's a financially unviable proposition.

The ARLC doesn't offer a variable funding scheme to prop up expansion teams in fumbleball markets. The private sector in WA will not provide the funds needed to grow the game at the junior level. Nor will it build the infrastructure needed to run an enterprise like the Storm.

We still don't know how viable the Storm will be when Bellamy retires and the club become also-rans. The last thing the game can afford is teams in Melbourne and Perth struggling financially.

That's why I am against a Perth-based team entering the NRL.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Deep down the clowns pushing for a Perth-based team know it's a financially unviable proposition.

The ARLC doesn't offer a variable funding scheme to prop up expansion teams in fumbleball markets. The private sector in WA will not provide the funds needed to grow the game at the junior level. Nor will it build the infrastructure needed to run an enterprise like the Storm.

We still don't know how viable the Storm will be when Bellamy retires and the club become also-rans. The last thing the game can afford is teams in Melbourne and Perth struggling financially.

That's why I am against a Perth-based team entering the NRL.
Well I am 100% behind a Perth based team, I’d prefer the Bears on board to make their bid stronger but the team needs to be based in WA.
We’re already saturated with teams in NSW and QLD and I’d certainly back a team in my own Country before some government backed PNG team where most of their own fans wouldn’t even be able to afford to travel to away games or even afford half the benefits associated with a NRL team like official club merchandise, club memberships etc.
I honestly cannot believe people pushing for a team in PNG, I bet they won’t have NRL shops over there, they will all be looted, what happens when the Panthers or the Broncos play there and their little 15,000 Stadium sells out, will there be a riot, will soldiers actually shoot the rioters ?.
If a WA team struggles let’s find out, let’s grow our game.
I would rather see Aust dollars propping up an actual Aust team than an overseas Govt project.

Bukowski

Juniors
Well I am 100% behind a Perth based team, I’d prefer the Bears on board to make their bid stronger but the team needs to be based in WA.
We’re already saturated with teams in NSW and QLD and I’d certainly back a team in my own Country before some government backed PNG team where most of their own fans wouldn’t even be able to afford to travel to away games or even afford half the benefits associated with a NRL team like official club merchandise, club memberships etc.
I honestly cannot believe people pushing for a team in PNG, I bet they won’t have NRL shops over there, they will all be looted, what happens when the Panthers or the Broncos play there and their little 15,000 Stadium sells out, will there be a riot, will soldiers actually shoot the rioters ?.
I would rather see Aust dollars propping up an actual Aust team than an overseas Govt project.
Aust govt and aust RLC growing the game in Aus for Australians?
Sounds crazy

I don’t support a PNG bid but if that happened, the NRL would make news around the world

Wb1234

Referee
If we are going to look at failed
no nrl team for ong because there will apparently be no nrl shops there

Qld isn’t saturated

Queensland ain't saturated. There's room for a third team in Brisbane. It's the only place in Australia that can support a team without assistance from the ARLC.