What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
How would you know?

You don't live in southern Brisbane.

Fumbleball is growing at the junior level in southern Brisbane. Independent Catholic schools in southern Brisbane have strong fumbleball programs. The Springwood Pumas are getting stronger thanks to the Lions@Springwood Social Club.
My parents do... logan doesn't deserve a team...
Infact they already have one its called the broncos...

I just read a post on another thread that exemplifies any QLDer posting about lack of representation in the NRL.... they talk about too many teams in sydney, but spruik ideas when it comes to more in Brisbane... 3 SEQ teams us enough for the 3k population area

Are you saying they are not actively targeting the southern region of Brisbane? Hmmm looks like it to me.

They have targeted Logan, Ipswich and the south-eastern suburbs of Brisbane. The Lions@Springwood Social Club helps fund clubs like the Springwood Pumas. Michael Voss was raised in Logan.

Its almost like you cant be a critical thinker and maybe think that option B was better than option A in the great expansion of the game debate.
But yeh lets all just close down our thinking and cheer for the choice made.

To me they arent an expansion club anyway, they're just a heartland club in an already Rl area promoted into the top tier that adds to the number but does little to grow the game.
I wish them well as their success means we may see a proper expansion club next, beyond that I have no more interest in them than I do any other NRL club, bar Storm.

@Canard argues for the sake of it. You can throw cold hard facts at him and he will still hold his position and come up with incendiary strawman retorts.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How would you know?

Fumbleball is growing at the junior level in southern Brisbane. Independent Catholic schools in southern Brisbane have strong fumbleball programs. The Springwood Pumas are getting stronger thanks to the Lions@Springwood Social Club.
The Pumas President and the local MP have been caught in a corruption scandal. Former NRL ref and now QLD Politician Tim Mander called them out in Parliament. The Pumas president has been removed as CEO from the company he worked for and they found evidence of syphoning money from the company's suppliers to the club. This flow of money has now been stopped so watch the Pumas go down hill quickly now that the corruption has been stopped.

MugaB

Coach
They have targeted Logan, Ipswich and the south-eastern suburbs of Brisbane. The Lions@Springwood Social Club helps fund clubs like the Springwood Pumas. Michael Voss was raised in Logan.

@Canard argues for the sake of it. You can throw cold hard facts at him and he will still hold his position and come up with incendiary strawman retorts.
Please just STFU.. you are just so useless

The Pumas President and the local MP have been caught in a corruption scandal. Former NRL ref and now QLD Politician Tim Mander called them out in Parliament. The Pumas president has been removed as CEO from the company he worked for and they found evidence of syphoning money from the company's suppliers to the club. This flow of money has now been stopped so watch the Pumas go down hill quickly now that the corruption has been stopped.

Are they still going through with the relocation to Cronulla Park?

Pneuma

First Grade
Good riddance to Super Rugby's silly team names
By Greg Growden
April 18, 2019 — 8.00pm
It’s only taken 23 years, but at last those running Super Rugby realise they must fix the bleeding obvious – the bewildering team names.​
Since the competition began in 1996, the No.1 complaint has been that so many don’t have a clue where the teams come from because of their silly names. It is rugby’s Rubik’s cube.​
Thankfully, as revealed in the Herald, the broadcasters want Super Rugby teams to feature the home city or region in their name. Not before time.​
I saw an article written in 2013 that said something very different

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Weren't they funded by the Lions@Springwood Social Club at one stage?
Not sure, I guess the Lions provided some funding as a local AFL club, but I know that the ''redirected'' funds were significant. I always thought that club's facilities were way too good for a run of the mill park team, now it all makes sense.

Last edited:
Not sure, I'm sure the Lions provided some funding as a local AFL club, but I know that the ''redirected'' funds were significant. I always thought that club's facilities were way too good for a run of the mill park team, now it all makes sense.

Fumbleball is a corrupt game. It deserves to be derided by Queenslanders and New South Welshman.

westerntiger

Juniors
I sincerely doubt the AFL will succeed in Queensland. The Lions only get semi-decent crowds on the back of the huge expat Vic population and sour NRL-haters.

The big question is whether the second gen of Vic migrants in Qld will adopt RL or stick to fumbling

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
How would you know?

This is all just speculation mixed with anecdotal observations.

There is no evidence that AFL is targeting Southern Brisbane specifically at all.

This seems to be some poor attempt at a scare campaign to try to push your agenda for an NRL team on your doorstep

MugaB

Coach
This is all just speculation mixed with anecdotal observations.

There is no evidence that AFL is targeting Southern Brisbane specifically at all.

This seems to be some poor attempt at a scare campaign to try to push your agenda for an NRL team on your doorstep
There isn't even a 2nd grade or 3rd grade RL team in Logan, what makes him think they'll be a fully fledged 1st grade side there??? Strike me PINK!

mongoose

Coach
I sincerely doubt the AFL will succeed in Queensland. The Lions only get semi-decent crowds on the back of the huge expat Vic population and sour NRL-haters.

The big question is whether the second gen of Vic migrants in Qld will adopt RL or stick to fumbling

or maybe.... a lot of people who attend Lions games also follow NRL? I know plenty of Vic expats and some I have spoken to that have adopted an NRL team. I know an old guy at work who is victorian and loves his AFL but also loves Souths and can talk very knowledgeably about them. I know another guy who migrated up here from Vic with his family during covid and he's a big Eels fan. I think this forum where you can only support one code and all NRL followers hate AFL and all AFL followers hate League does not reflect reality.
Some of the more wealthy - upper middle class types probably won't touch League - but there's plenty like that who are from NSW and QLD.