What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pippen94

First Grade
All that becomes insignificant once perth and/or Adelaide gets another team regardless if the Nrl props them up ala storm, BUT in saying that, for leagues sake, it needs to be not only viable, needs to survive without a handout... regardless of grants.. needs to have juniors and participation at a continuous rate, not a fake ass ALF pay for your balls and kits garbage, its like pushing drugs out to kids the way they are promoting their game....
It has to be ingrained and wanted by those cities otherwise why bother.. the only exception is Melbourne due to the amount of 1st grade ALF clubs operating there.. idealy you want it there too, but realistically get what you can with 5 mil pop in foreign territory

That sport basically doubled up on cities because it had nowhere else to grow. NRL has Adelaide & Perth to move into..

Perth Red

Post Whore
That sport basically doubled up on cities because it had nowhere else to grow. NRL has Adelaide & Perth to move into..
Nrl has lots of places it COULD move into, if it ever will is a different matter. Meanwhile afl is exactly where it wants to be already ( though it would probably like one of its struggling melbourne teams in tassie). Hence why we are at best 30. Years behind them with our metro footprint. The equivalent would be an nrl club in perth, two clubs in melbourne and a club in adelaide by now! We’ve only just decided on two clubs in brisbane Ffs.

Pippen94

First Grade
North Sydney Bears to Gold Coast. Merge with Burleigh Bears and become the Gold Coast Bears.

Balmain Tigers to Brisbane. Merge with Easts Tigers to become the Brisbane Tigers.

Newtown Jets to Ipswich. Merge with Ipswich Jets to become the Ipswich Jets.

South magpies provided backbone of raiders. Dragons with Smith as coach brought in many Brothers players. North Sydney bears were stacked with Qld players in the 90's...

Pippen94

First Grade
Nrl has lots of places it COULD move into, if it ever will is a different matter. Meanwhile afl is exactly where it wants to be already ( though it would probably like one of its struggling melbourne teams in tassie). Hence why we are at best 30. Years behind them with our metro footprint. The equivalent would be an nrl club in perth, two clubs in melbourne and a club in adelaide by now! We’ve only just decided on two clubs in brisbane Ffs.

No, only need a team from Adelaide & Perth for the set. NRL has NZ & all the main regional centres

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
North Sydney Bears to Gold Coast. Merge with Burleigh Bears and become the Gold Coast Bears.

Balmain Tigers to Brisbane. Merge with Easts Tigers to become the Brisbane Tigers.

Newtown Jets to Ipswich. Merge with Ipswich Jets to become the Ipswich Jets.
Gold Coast struggles to support one team let alone two.

Easts Tigers already changed their name to Brisbane plus Wests Tigers already have the Tigers name.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
sorry for the rant.....

I remember before the Storm existed, talking with family/friends in Melbourne, they were so full of hatred for RL, the majority of Melbourne. And before that, when the Swans came to Sydney, Sydneysiders hating AR. So much hatred between the two states for the opposing state's code.

Anyway, years later...the Storm were created, and Melbournians were still against RL. But over time, I noticed, little by little they started appreciating RL, choosing the Storm as their team, obviously, even attending some games sometimes.

Fast forward to the last 2-3 years, there's a far greater "love" for RL and the Storm, they are so disenfranchised with AFL, the play on the field, the administration, referring, etc....people turning away from it and adopting RL and the NFL as their #1 sport.....but even those diehard AFL fans now carry the Storm as their #2 sporting team, go to their games or watch them on TV when their AFL team isn't in town or plays on another day.

And the same has occurred in Sydney....people adopting the Swans (god help them) and making it their #2 team after their NRL team, going to Swans games as well as their NRL team game.

Point is....I refuse to believe it's all pointless. Change can happen, does happen, people will adopt a WA and SA rugby league team if you put one in each and financially prop it up long enough (20-30 years) a generation basically, kids growing up that's all they know now....there being a WA / SA RL team for them too, part of the sporting culture.

Also, I reckon after all those lockdowns and social distancing rules.....people are more than ever eager to get out and about, go to games, movies, pubs, more than they were just a few years before COVID. Not taking life for granted anymore, could all change again.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Just saying that the war is real, and the pie chart will change based on how the football codes improve or don't improve themselves over time. RL can't be negative and think it's pointless to expand to WA and SA asap. I understand, the money invested for the return...why bother sinking millions every year over 20-30 years for minimal gains, we have the dominant population in QLD/NSW. But the sooner they put a team in each state, the sooner that 20-30 yrs can reach that point of adoption.....even to just take the fight to the AFL and try to dent their progress in NSW, ACT and QLD.

Like I proposed many times in here before.....you can at the very least be smart and schedule 4-6 games in Perth and 4-6 games in Adelaide every year. Each Sydney team moves one of their home games to Perth and one home game to Adelaide. 6 or so NSW teams each playing 2 games in WA/SA ends up being about 8-12 games played there. Just keep doing that for a sustained period of time (a decade?) in lieu of eventually granting them a fulltime NRL team -- either a startup team or relocated Sydney team.

Gold Coast struggles to support one team let alone two.

Easts Tigers already changed their name to Brisbane plus Wests Tigers already have the Tigers name.
Try to keep up.

I was responding to a post about NSWRL clubs relocating to Brisbane during the 1980s. I highlighted the Bears, Jets and Tigers as three brands that could have relocated to Gold Coast, Brisbane and Ipswich.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Perth ran that 9s torny and it was abit of a flop as they were expecting alot more attendance. I've been to games in Adelaide and that 9s comp in Perth and Adelaide seems to have a bigger following of Leauge fans...Perth is way more into AFL so at least Adelaide you'd get afew fans jump on board and the flights ain't as far...with Covid around Perth just shuts he boarder whenever so it would cause some havoc.

I'd have a team in Adelaide but PNG would get the biggest following or a second NZ team.

The Great Dane

First Grade
AFL like soccer , is a girly sport thats easy to play , unlike rough mean rugby league & thats why mummies are getting their kids to play it & its the only reason . But still with the 2 new clubs a decade after their inception & a GF & multiple finals appearances for one of them , no one watches them live or on TV. The Swans & Lions still only have niche followings after 35 years with both often outrated by cartoons & cooking shows on TV in Sydney & Brisbane.
Rugby League was the dominant sport in NSW in 1982 when the swans moved to Sydney. Nothing has changed except theres a few more kids running around in basketball singlets & tight shorts who were most likely never going to play RL anyway.
I heard the chicken littles back 40 years ago , oh oh .. aussie rules will take over in
20 years

here we are 40 years later & , its no closer
“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”- Bertrand Russell.

it’s a major event, of course it will sell out, doh,
. And like I said there’s rl fans in those cities, but the nrl as a completion is largely insignificant as there is no footprint in them.
can't be insignificant " your words" & be selling out major venues too you halfwit
the forum clown strikes again lol