What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Merge teams to reduce Sydney Teams to 6

Sharks and Dragons
Parra and Penrith
Wests Tigers and Bulldogs
Roosters
Souths
Manly

Plus

Storm
Raiders
Warriors
Knights
Broncos
Dolphins
Titans
Cowboys

Add 4 teams

Perth
Adelaide
Combined Pacific ( PNG/Fiji/Tonga/Samoa/Cooks Islands)
Another QLD Team

That's 18 teams

Wb1234

Referee
Look I’m a massive fan of Perth entering the competition but saying that they will be bigger than the Storm within a decade is over the top.
I think it’s not far off

Perth has better grassroots than Melbourne

they won’t win as many comps as the storm however

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because we are comparing it with their introductions. Perth Reds had a presence in Perth for a couple of years and struggled , and GWS has had a presence for longer and still struggles.Both put in large sums.
I have faith in a sport that continues to grow in Australia ,has an international presence, doesn't bullish*t about participation levels, has a Chairman who sticks up for the code, and has very few whingers who spend their time trolling rl sites to laud the AFL.
If whining is what jet engines sound like, you'd be Heathrow Airport.
They didn’t struggle, they never finished bottom, never had the smallest crowds and we’re building a decent club. A combination of ARL stupidity and a civil war did for them. Gws hasn’t fac3d any of that and in fact quite the opposite.
blah blah blah

MugaB

Coach
This is a pretty uninteresting conversation. It is also pretty obvious regarding the bias here.

One says that a Perth team will dominate and that there are no other good bids and the other is saying the same thing about a second New Zealand side.

By the way, I think both should be in a prospective 20 team competition
None if that is right anyways... its PNG.... yeah you know me

20230325_091307.png

MugaB

Coach
I agree that’s what should happen. Although as a Raiders supporter, seeing how s*** we are, should I want more sides to beat us?
Thats the point!!! Everyone is missing THIS exact point... they are planning for expanding the comp to bring in more areas just like canberra, redcliffe, now we are hearing cairns for the png/pasifika angle,
These guys pushing the expansion and deciding who gets a license are invested in the game somewhere else, although we all know perths coming, and most punters are choosing that over any other area thats thrown up there for the polls,
The arlc and pollitis moreso, are wanting teams that aren't world beaters, they aren't looking to dwarf the sydney clubs, they want more cannon fodder, they want more canberra, now redcliffe came out of the blocks, and are pretty competitive, that doesn't change the fact that they are still a regional side, playing against cities, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney.
So when i see Cairns, i know thats what they are looking for, expansion but one that adds to the comp, not one that will dwarf it.. they dont want another brisbane broncos, i feel like Perth could be that if they invested enough time and effort, and bolster the talent pool large enough to support it, but that won't happen till team no.20

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Just heard V'landys is going to make an announcement on the 18th team next week.

All I'll say is Perth, North Sydney and Adelaide fans will be semi happy.

Article to come

flippikat

Bench
I just hope it's not a joint norths/expansion area club. Some games in NSO , some in another area. Split board. You would be just adding another Wests tigers to the comp.
That's EXACTLY it. The more I think about the idea the more division I can see happening at governance level - end result being the worst of the joint venture model when it doesn't have to be that way.

Bukowski

Juniors
That's EXACTLY it. The more I think about the idea the more division I can see happening at governance level - end result being the worst of the joint venture model when it doesn't have to be that way.
That's right, Norths are waiting for the NRL to name the expansion city before the attach themselves to a bid. They arnt committed to expansion at all.

Latest posts