What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Qrl are known to be opposed as it will massively impact their comp. nswrl less so as in reality all but three clubs are nrl club reserve grade sides anyway. If qrl can stop what seems to be the inevitable we shall see. As said theres a reason the nrl is financially driving nrl clubs to now have their own reserve grade sides and not rely on nsw or qrl cup clubs.

Those clubs aren’t going anywhere stop talking bs

I told you they could merge the remaining qrl and nswrl sides if needed

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Why do you think their offering financial incentives to nrl clubs to have their own reserve grade and jnr comp sides now
Could be part of an attempt to drive crowds, memberships and potential broadcast deals.
Having reserve grade teams specifically aligned to an NRL club will increase brand awareness of those teams and may mean fans start to take more note of that competition.

Pippen94

First Grade
Could be part of an attempt to drive crowds, memberships and potential broadcast deals.
Having reserve grade teams specifically aligned to an NRL club will increase brand awareness of those teams and may mean fans start to take more note of that competition.

Yep, NBA did this with development league, with teams adopting same branding. Promotes own brand. I'm not a fan of this but that's how world is going

Centy Coast

Juniors
Qrl are known to be opposed as it will massively impact their comp. nswrl less so as in reality all but three clubs are nrl club reserve grade sides anyway. If qrl can stop what seems to be the inevitable we shall see. As said theres a reason the nrl is financially driving nrl clubs to now have their own reserve grade sides and not rely on nsw or qrl cup clubs.

The QLD Cup is set up totally different to the NSW Cup, most NSW Cup sides are represented in the NRL no so with their QLD counterparts.
Huge hurdles to overcome if they try to go that way and try to involve the QLD teams.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Yes the NSW clubs lead 5-2 but all the games have been competitive, I’ve watched them all, they have been good games, it is a good concept.
I remember years ago before the Broncos were in the NRL that they tried to do a similar thing when Canterbury were the Premiers and Wynnum-Manly were dominating the QLD Comp with players like Wally Lewis, Gene Miles, Greg Dowling, Colin Scott etc.

Pippen94

First Grade
Yes the NSW clubs lead 5-2 but all the games have been competitive, I’ve watched them all, they have been good games, it is a good concept.
I remember years ago before the Broncos were in the NRL that they tried to do a similar thing when Canterbury were the Premiers and Wynnum-Manly were dominating the QLD Comp with players like Wally Lewis, Gene Miles, Greg Dowling, Colin Scott etc.

That game never happened.

In ideal world nswrl & brl would become conferences & have Superbowl between winners

RedVee_8

Juniors
This is interesting as an ex Newtown junior.
Unfortunately the Jets don’t have much to offer except goodwill and blue jerseys.
There are no juniors as they were redistributed at the time of demise.

Centy Coast

Juniors
This is interesting as an ex Newtown junior.
Unfortunately the Jets don’t have much to offer except goodwill and blue jerseys.
There are no juniors as they were redistributed at the time of demise.
Correct, when my son team played in the Immortals Challenge representing the Central Coast as its Premiers, they played Newtown in one of our easier games who were the South Sydney Premiers.

flippikat

Bench
Well thats what the interstate challenge is meant to represent, best of the nswcup VS qrlcup
Yeah, they didn't manage to do it at the top tier in the 1980s, but at least have it in the 2nd tier now - which is something.

It's a shame there's no "inter-league' play during the regular season, though it would probably need both competitions to have the same number of teams to play true inter-league rounds - plus funding for transport/accommodation.

Pippen94

First Grade
Yeah, they didn't manage to do it at the top tier in the 1980s, but at least have it in the 2nd tier now - which is something.

It's a shame there's no "inter-league' play during the regular season, though it would probably need both competitions to have the same number of teams to play true inter-league rounds - plus funding for transport/accommodation.

No it wouldn't. Nfl has 17 rounds but like 32 teams. Teams play three divisional twice then other teams throughout league on rotating basis.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If that was the case you'd have historically seen a consistently higher average attendance for the NSW Cup teams run by NRL clubs. As far as I know crowds aren't recorded for most NSW Cup matches, but in my experience that simply isn't the case.

It's also my experience that the Qld Cup would have a significantly higher average attendance than the NSW Cup, and until this season it's been completely made up of independent clubs affiliated with NRL sides, as opposed to the glorified reserve grade sides that have made up the bulk of the NSW Cup teams.

Reserve grade was never as big a draw as some people like to remember, and it was well and truly dead by the 90s, and even the earlier 80s in a lot of parts. In this day and age you simply aren't going to get the average punter to show up for reserve grade before the NRL, and PVL and his mates are totally out of touch with younger generations and the realities of the modern market if they truly believe otherwise.

Most blokes would rather hang out at the pub watching the earlier NRL game than get to the ground early to watch the reserves .

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
If that was the case you'd have historically seen a consistently higher average attendance for the NSW Cup teams run by NRL clubs. As far as I know crowds aren't recorded for most NSW Cup matches, but in my experience that simply isn't the case.

It's also my experience that the Qld Cup would have a significantly higher average attendance than the NSW Cup, and until this season it's been completely made up of independent clubs affiliated with NRL sides, as opposed to the glorified reserve grade sides that have made up the bulk of the NSW Cup teams.

Reserve grade was never as big a draw as some people like to remember, and it's been well and truly dead since at least the 90s, and even the 80s in a lot of parts. In this day and age you simply aren't going to get the average punter to show up for reserve grade before the NRL, and PVL and his mates are totally out of touch with younger generations and the realities of the modern market if he truly believes otherwise.

Most blokes under 50 would rather hang out at the pub watching the earlier NRL game than get to the ground early to watch the reserves .

They just putting their branding out there as opposed to somebody else's

The Great Dane

First Grade
Mounties, Wentworthville, Wyong. All big LC’s who used to be in nsw cup. As the cup has increasingly become just a reserve grade for nrl clubs the ones not aligned have fallen by the wayside.
The clubs are well aware that the cost of players salaries make running a NSW Cup side without an NRL affiliate financially unviable in the long term unless you, and your sponsors and supporters, are willing to accept being the comp's whipping boys.

flippikat

Bench
The clubs are well aware that the cost of players salaries make running a NSW Cup side without an NRL affiliate financially unviable in the long term unless you, and your sponsors and supporters, are willing to accept being the comp's whipping boys.
Yep, and that's the real shame - the NSW Cup is the perfect place for non-NRL heritage clubs like Norths, Newtown & Wentworthville (a club that was a strong contender for top tier status in the 1960s) to play in.

That kinda aspect makes the Qld Cup a cool competition. It has some of those traditional BRL clubs.. with the extra dimension of some regional sides too.

(As an aside, I think the loss of Wyong as a NSW Cup side was a real shame, as it set back the chances of regional teams in the NSW Cup becoming more of a thing.)

Putting most of the teams as "in house" reserve teams with the same branding as NRL clubs undermines the "non NRL heritage club" aspect.