What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pippen94

First Grade

NRL wants me to stay out of PNG discussions: Olam​

Justin Olam feels rugby league powerbrokers have not consulted him about the Papua New Guinea expansion bid for fear he will warn against fast-tracking the team's entry into the NRL.
The premiership-winning PNG international says he is in favour of establishing a first-grade team in his homeland, but only after "a couple of years" investing in a proper pathways system.
"No one has ever chatted to me about anything, because my opinion doesn't line up with anyone, I think," the Wests Tigers centre told AAP of the bid to grant PNG the NRL's 18th licence.
"So they want me to stay out of it. I don't mind. I'll always say what I think is best for the young kids back home because I've come through the path and I know what it is.
"I'm speaking from what I've experienced. I'm not talking out of the blue. This is what I think it is, because most of the people in power have never lived that life."
The Australian Rugby League Commission will meet next Wednesday for the latest round of expansion talks, with teams from PNG, Perth and New Zealand all options to enter the NRL as early as 2026.
The Australian Government is willing to pledge $600 million of funding to the PNG bid in the hope a team could be a diplomatic tool to strengthen relations in the Pacific.
But the viability of enticing current NRL players to live in PNG, and the team's ability to be immediately competitive, are possible sticking points.
The only NRL player to come through the Queensland Cup's PNG Hunters, Olam previously questioned suggestions the NRL could solve these issues by basing PNG's team in North Queensland.
The team now appears unlikely to fly in and fly out of PNG for games, rather basing itself in Port Morseby full-time, but Olam still has concerns.
"I think it will be a good thing for the game to have a PNG team in the NRL, the fanbase and everything is there," he said.
"But players-wise, for me personally, I think we need to have a foundation first and that is developing grassroots football, junior football.
"I still feel like we've got a long way to go."
PNG's highest-level rugby league competition, the 12-team semi-professional Digicel Cup, would be the most logical talent pool from which the 18th team could draw.
But Olam said PNG needed a thriving schools program, and a plan to scout grassroots talent from rural areas, before the Digicel Cup was a sustainable source of NRL recruits.
"There's heaps of talent back at home, but for me the only reason I only came and played NRL was because I went to uni," Olam said.
"If I was in the village, I wouldn't have been able to make it here because we don't have that pathway.
"There's no steps to follow or proper pathway to come and play in the Digicel Cup.
"If there's a competition for schoolboys in PNG, the number of kids that are going to sign up to play is going to be massive.
"From that pool of talent, they can pick and have a proper pathway to develop players so they can have a good PNG team.
"My personal point of view is that I think we're jumping a few steps. There's nothing wrong with getting an NRL team but I think not now. In a couple of years time."

View attachment 89903

PNG is a league country & deserves a team. Olam says that too!!

Wb1234

Referee
From the article you posted

“The Jets’ bid is backed by Sydney marketing guru John Singleton, while Hungry Jack’s founder Jack Cowan is believed to have interest in supporting a WA team.”
Doubt that’s true about singleton he hasn’t been involved there for almost 50 yrs

If he was that could be game changing for them

Wb1234

Referee
I

I’d say he would still be dealing with the loss of his daughter, who was stabbed by that nutter at Westfield Bondi, the poor bugger.
Jeeze that was rotten luck even a rich guy like him if your in the wrong place at the wrong time

back in the 90s he was owner of famous sydney upmarket establishment Tiffany’s

shows what a dope gallop was turning someone like that away from the game when history goes back to the Newtown jets

he was literally an advertising genius when the game had no clue how to market itself

siv

First Grade
We know the WA government asked the Cumins consortium to leave the negotiations to them.

Now the Bears are meeting with the “cumins consortium”.

WA Government have had meetings with the ARLC and the bears previously.

Sounds to me the recent articles have come from the fact that the “cumins consortium” is being brought into the talks now.

Looks like the WA Government, the bears and the ARLC may have agreed to terms and now they are bringing the “cumins consortium” to brief them and allow the consortium to save face. They can make a public announcement stating the working with the bears is the best commercial option and the “marriage” will be on Perth’s terms. Cumins sounds like he is already postering in that direction.
Whats in it for Easts to want to help out so much?

Centy Coast

Juniors
Tell me more please
How many times do we have to explain things to you though ?, you obviously don’t want to listen.
The Bears played and defeated Newtown last weekend, the Bears had one contracted NRL Storm player who had just signed that week whereas the Jets had 14 contracted NRL Sharks players in their 17.
The Jets have no NRL junior representative pathways and only have junior club teams that play in the South Sydney junior competitions.
It is good to see Jamie Davey from the NRL Fans WA Facebook page strongly backing the Perth Bears.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
All sounding very positive. Perth probable team 18, cumins bid to own the club and a possible partnership if they offer enough. If not going it alone. Wa govt supporting the club with grassroots funding and hbf upgrades.
Of course it’s rugba league so I’m still not getting too excited yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many times do we have to explain things to you though ?, you obviously don’t want to listen.
The Bears played and defeated Newtown last weekend, the Bears had one contracted NRL Storm player who had just signed that week whereas the Jets had 14 contracted NRL Sharks players in their 17.
The Jets have no NRL junior representative pathways and only have junior club teams that play in the South Sydney junior competitions.
It is good to see Jamie Davey from the NRL Fans WA Facebook page strongly backing the Perth Bears.
How many of the bears team that won come from ns jnr clubs?

re jets, this could well be a way of them relaunching all jnr sides and women’s sides if singleton is funding it, maybe even with a gosford link up given singletons connections on CC?

The Great Dane

First Grade
So what exactly? The Bears beat Newtown in the NSW Cup so they should get dibs on the Perth license?

Go home, you're drunk.

Last edited: