What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

flippikat

Bench
Yeah it's a funny one. There's been a few quotes from V'landys and Abdo that hint at the fact that a winning bid will be announced from each city with the Tigers up their sleeve if nothing suitable comes from NZ. Then they will attach a start date to each bid. E.G. Your consortium (Mr Cummins 😉) in 2027, Albo's PNG bid in 2028 and Christchurch / SEQ in 2030.

If NZ come up with something suitable, there will be some comment about the NRL taking a closer look at SEQ in the next round of expansion.
However, if NZ don't come up with something suitable then it's quite possible that Perth, PNG & SEQ get spots 18-20 and talk of expansion beyond that easily could go right to the back-burner.

There'd probably be no big compelling locations in NSW or Qld for teams 21 & 22 so the options left (NZ 2, Adelaide, Fiii most notably) would all be tough sells to traditionalists.

I know that sounds like fear-mongering, but I can see that being a roadblock to a bigger footprint.

However, if NZ don't come up with something suitable then it's quite possible that Perth, PNG & SEQ get spots 18-20 and talk of expansion beyond that easily could go right to the back-burner.

There'd probably be no big compelling locations in NSW or Qld for teams 21 & 22 so the options left (NZ 2, Adelaide, Fiii most notably) would all be tough sells to traditionalists.

I know that sounds like fear-mongering, but I can see that being a roadblock to a bigger footprint.
Let's hope we don't get PNG.

West Coast Pirates
South Island Kea
Brisbane Firehawks

CC Bears and Wellington would be good prospects in 2040 or 2050.

Latest posts