What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test - Australia v India at Melbourne Dec 26-30, 2011

beads6

First Grade
I'm confused... you all talk of Sean marsh like he's a lock, and some sort of saviour... this is the same Sean Marsh who's 28, played 65 first class matches with 7 centuries and an average of 39??? You're serious???

On the basis of 2 tests in Sri Lanka, he's the mainstay of your test team?? Things must be dire!!

I am pretty confident if he can stay fit he will be a mainstay in the top order for us.

JJ

Immortal
I am pretty confident if he can stay fit he will be a mainstay in the top order for us.

I am seriously asking, as being a Kiwi I haven't seen much of him...WHY? His first class record reaks of mediocrity given what many Australian first-class players seem to do... no offence

beads6

First Grade
I am seriously asking, as being a Kiwi I haven't seen much of him...WHY? His first class record reaks of mediocrity given what many Australian first-class players seem to do... no offence

His first class record is pretty poor although over the past few years it has been pretty good. Looked right at home in the Tests he has played. Hit a superb ton on debut and was batting well at Newlands until he did the back.

JJ

Immortal
His first class record is pretty poor although over the past few years it has been pretty good. Looked right at home in the Tests he has played. Hit a superb ton on debut and was batting well at Newlands until he did the back.

I'm looking forward to the Indian series... their strong veteran batting against your younger bowlers... you'd be well served to have a few wickets a little like the Hobart one

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm confused... you all talk of Sean marsh like he's a lock, and some sort of saviour... this is the same Sean Marsh who's 28, played 65 first class matches with 7 centuries and an average of 39??? You're serious???

On the basis of 2 tests in Sri Lanka, he's the mainstay of your test team?? Things must be dire!!

He had a very slow start to his career but has averaged over 50 for two or three seasons now, and has a Test century already. Pretty easy to see why he comes in over someone like a Hughes or a Khawaja I would have thought...

JJ

Immortal
He had a very slow start to his career but has averaged over 50 for two or three seasons now, and has a Test century already. Pretty easy to see why he comes in over someone like a Hughes or a Khawaja I would have thought...

Not arguing with that, just looked up his record and was surprised...

Khawaja is a funny one, looks like he has the game, and is getting starts... Hughes unfortunately needs a break, he's toast

I'd actually have thought it was time for Clarke to man up and welcome Katich back...

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
You have plenty of chances to make up for things when batting, when fielding you don't get many chances. Chris Martin comes in so lets bowl short and let's bowl short at Bracewell who smashes him for runs but then again I don't expect you understand shit.

Move Warner down ffs, idiot.

:lol::lol::lol: Oh my god you're thick. I'm pretty sure the blame should go fairly and squarely on the unacceptable batting collapse instead of a tailender hitting a few extra runs. FMD, what a ridiculous statement-talk about a blind agenda against a bloke.

Bazal

Post Whore
Not arguing with that, just looked up his record and was surprised...

Khawaja is a funny one, looks like he has the game, and is getting starts... Hughes unfortunately needs a break, he's toast

I'd actually have thought it was time for Clarke to man up and welcome Katich back...

Khawaja can't seem to wrap his head around the Test arena. He has the technique but his mental aptitude needs work

Katich hasn't been playing that well and has been acting a total twat, I'm not sure he'd offer a heck of a lot

Hallatia

Referee
I am not convinced about Marsh, he has made two really good scores early in his test career, but they were both in Sri Lanka

My squad vs. India.

Warner
Watson
Marsh
Khawaja
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Cristian
Pattinson
Siddle
Lyon

Starc (keep him around the team)
Cummins (keep him around the team)
Cowan
Harris (if fit, plays instead of Cristian)
Hazelwood (bring him into squad, even if he doesn't play a game this summer)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I am not convinced about Marsh, he has made two really good scores early in his test career, but they were both in Sri Lanka

he did look good in those tests but hasn't played since so he'll need to play himself back in and convince the selectors that he has some current form

problem is, like Harris he cant string a series together as he's always injured and has a bad back

personally I think guys like Harris and Marsh just disrupt the team selections and if they cant stay fit for an entire series, and neither of them have, then we should be looking elsewhere imo

its not as tho Marsh is that good that he should walk back into the team, it just shows how unstable we are atm

aussies1st

Staff member
While it might have only been SL, he and Hussey were the only ones making runs. If they failed we would have collapsed in a heap. He was also the only one to support Clarke in SA before he got injured. Showed enough promising signs in those matches than most of our batsmen.

booligal bill

Juniors
Obviously Haddin is under scrutiny again, and fair enough. Wade is generally the name thrown around as a possible replacement (given that Paine is still out injured and hasn't played for months). Wade's batting is great, but from what I have seen not the purest gloveman going around.
What is interesting is that Ludeman has been picked as the keeper in the Chairmans X1. He has rarely been mentioned, and admittedly I have never seen him play, but obviously the selectors see something in this bloke.
(Personally I like the look of Nevil from NSW, as a keeper and batsman)

Has anyone had a good look at Ludeman play? Opinions?

aussies1st

Staff member
Only reason Ludeman got picked was last man standing without a Bash game, he isn't even in the SA 11.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
of all the people under scrutiny Haddin has the least to worry about

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am warming to the idea of either Punter or Huss play not both.

Bat 4, 4 tests coming up 2 each. Phase them out of the team, but use that experience, I bet Patterson, Cummins, Starc, Lyon Uzi etc are happy they have played with such great players.

Watson to 6, with a mission to bat with the young quicks, teach the tail to wag.

Warner clearly earnt his place.

leaves Marsh, Hughes and Usman.

Be happy either way.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Border said on Inside Cricket that either Huss or Punter will go, not sure if he got the word or it was just a prediction.

I doubt the team would even be selected yet but one thing for sure, listening to Clarkey on Foxsports News this morning, Hughes is gone back to first class cricket.

aussies1st

Staff member
Haddin should be gone as well, he is the last thing a fragile batting lineup needs coming in at 7.

anjado

Juniors
Geez I hope the MCG pitch is a bit better tha last year's

There was nothing wrong with the pitch at the MCG last year. It was more a case of a severely undisciplined side against a well drilled disciplined one. Australia threw away wickets to be bowled out for 98 against quality bowling mind you. England were very patient and apart from Siddle who showed the pitch was actually alright for bowling by taking 6 wickets, the rest of the bowling was utter garbage and got duly punished.

If i was picking the Australia side from a neutral perspective.

Hussey (basically last chance saloon he might make an affective opener)
Warner
Ponting (build it up as his last series similar to Steve Waugh)
Marsh (Showed a bit of ability in Sri Lanka and looks solid
Clarke
Watson
Haddin (Maybe his last test series too)
Siddle
Patterson
Copeland
Lyon

I am not sure if Copeland is fit or just out of favour. I left Harris out because i don't think he will be fit. I also think a combination of Harris,Siddle and Patterson might be a bit to much of one thing, they can all bowl about 145 km/h and have relatively similar styles. Watson is also pretty similar. I think Copeland with his height and accuracy might provide a bit of a different approach which might help in terms of variety.