What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test - Australia v India at Melbourne Dec 26-30, 2011

Earl

Coach
Got a pretty good feeling this is what will happen;

1. Shane Watson
2. David Warner
3. Shaun Marsh
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Michael Clarke
6. Michael Hussey
7. Brad Haddin
8. Ryan Harris
9. Peter Siddle
10. James Pattinson
11. Nathan Lyon

Only people to be dropped are those making way for injured players to return.

Australia and India draw series 1 all.

Most players hold there own (including Hussey, Haddin and Ponting) batting on roads.

Michael Clarke thinks everything is good, they go and play overseas somewhere, get towelled up and by the time the 2012/13 season starts we are back in the same f**king merry-go round we are in now.

Hallatia

Referee
I have heard that no one who was out of the last test has been cleared for the next one yet, but there is still a fair while til boxing day. But, so far, there is no assurance that anyone will be back

Gas Panic!

First Grade
Hussey (basically last chance saloon he might make an affective opener)

He might? The bloke has scored triple centures and probably close to 10,000 first class runs as an opener.

However, I don't think that move would be particularly smart right now. In fact, I think opener is one area we don't have to worry too much about. I'm a fan of moving Watson down the order, but IMO if he is fit for Boxing Day then he slots straight back in with Warner to open.

Khawaja is worth persisting with, and his stats suggest that he is a better prospect than Marsh. However, we are in dire straits and we need a fit Marsh back into the top order purely given his success in Sri Lanka.

I think they'll stick with experience around that, and we'll see:

Watson
Warner
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin

I think the West Indies tour is coming up next? In that case, Khawaja can start preparing for some warmer weather and Ponting can prepare for a winter at home enjoying retirement.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Is the stage set for a Steve Waugh style farewell tour for the Punter? A 4 test series would be a fair send-off for him, but f*ck he's making it hard to pick him, despite his achievements

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So was AB, at least they were still captains and scoring runs. But Rick is hitting them great in the nets and his experience is so valuable for the younger guys.........

Maybe that's the answer. An nation wide farewell tour of the Country's nets where everyone in Australia can get a chance to bowl to ponting and trap him lbw.

BunniesMan

Immortal
http://tensport.com.au/news/newsarticles/Cricket-Ponting-Hussey-in-for-Boxing-Day-Test.htm

Fading champions Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey are guaranteed selection for the Boxing Day Test against India - and beyond - after Australian coach Mickey Arthur revealed an exit plan for the veterans had not even been discussed.

Good to know we're sticking with out of form old men when Katich was dropped for no reason. That status quo is crucial when you're consistently crap as a team.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'd be picking a India victory, I'm not sure if Aus bowling lineup will be able to dismiss India for anything under 400 and while Indias attack is nothing special that same goes for Aus current batsmen.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
http://tensport.com.au/news/newsarticles/Cricket-Ponting-Hussey-in-for-Boxing-Day-Test.htm

Good to know we're sticking with out of form old men when Katich was dropped for no reason. That status quo is crucial when you're consistently crap as a team.

Katich wasn't dropped you imbecile he was injured. By the time he was fit Hughes had done enough to justify his place and Clarke was captain. FFS katich won't be back, if he does return I'll run naked through Mosman with a 'f**k me bunniesgimp' sign on my back.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Katich wasn't dropped you imbecile he was injured. By the time he was fit Hughes had done enough to justify his place and Clarke was captain. FFS katich won't be back, if he does return I'll run naked through Mosman with a 'f**k me bunniesgimp' sign on my back.

I'd pay money to see that

BunniesMan

Immortal
Katich wasn't dropped you imbecile he was injured. By the time he was fit Hughes had done enough to justify his place and Clarke was captain.
Being the incumbent and not getting picked when you regain your fitness = dropped. Katich and Hughes should have opened together.

FFS katich won't be back,
I never said he would be back. At this point it's too late.

if he does return I'll run naked through Mosman with a 'f**k me bunniesgimp' sign on my back.
My hometown wouldn't let you in. You'd be stopped at the border with Cremorne...they like your kind in Cremorne, you'd fit in there.

roofromoz

First Grade
Maybe that's the answer. An nation wide farewell tour of the Country's nets where everyone in Australia can get a chance to bowl to ponting and trap him lbw.

Or stand at a 45 degree angle a few metres from his off stump for a chance to take a catch. 1 in 5 people will get lucky!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
according to Foxsports

Marsh out of the chairmans XI and so probably out of the boxing day test.

Watson available but only as a batsman, he wont bowl.

Harris will probably be available also.

Personally I'm not sure about picking an all rounder who cant bowl but there is a vacancy for an opening batsman so maybe sunshine just plays as a opening batsman and so wont be dropping down the order.

yappy

Bench
Watson in 2011 has less call on an opening spot that Phil Hughes. If he's not able to bowl then he should (but won't miss out). Screws up the balance a fair bit.

Personally I'm not sure about picking an all rounder who cant bowl but there is a vacancy for an opening batsman so maybe sunshine just plays as a opening batsman and so wont be dropping down the order.

Watson in 2011 has less call on an opening spot that Phil Hughes. If he's not able to bowl then he should (but won't miss out). Screws up the balance a fair bit.

Watson has been woeful as an opener this year, avergaing in the low 20's.
Worse than Hughes. At least Hughes has scored a century.

I don't know why people think Watson should come into the side automatically if he can't bowl. To be honest his bowling is much more valuable than his batting. One might say he had been Australia's best bowler this year.

But this belief that he must come into our line up to help our fragile batting line up is just wrong. He was a part of the problem to begin with. But for some reason people out there think Watson has been doing a good job as an opener. He hasn't!

Watson should only come back when he is fit to bowl.