What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v West Indies @ Adelaide Oval Jan 17-19, 2024

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Another pro for Smudge going to opener is opposing teams theoretically should pitch the ball up more. He’s been bogged down (from his excessively lofty standards) post-Archer because they’ve been bowling more short stuff to him. Should get more chance to free those sexy autistic arms opening, or else they ruin their new ball with short crap.
Even this fella gets it

Last edited by a moderator:

Pippen94

First Grade
Smith is the best batsman since Bradman and is still ranked 3rd currently statistically in a "slump" you absolute dumbmerkin. The point I was making was very clear

Nah, nobody knows what you're arguing including yourself. You're not good at the back & forth forum thing because you're not very bright. Next you'll descend to straight up abuse like everybody else who's brain fails them. Predictable as Smith not being long term answer to opening spot..

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Nah, nobody knows what you're arguing including yourself. You're not good at the back & forth forum thing because you're not very bright. Next you'll descend to straight up abuse like everybody else who's brain fails them. Predictable as Smith not being long term answer to opening spot..
Says the man picking Harris to open....fmd merkin

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Green is the obvious bloke to invest in for the middle order and Australian cricket in general, no long term openers have revealed themselves yet. May as well take a chance on Smith re- my last post on the matter, than on a bum who nobody likes and his plod, and not playing Green.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Green is the obvious bloke to invest in for the middle order and Australian cricket in general, no long term openers have revealed themselves yet. May as well take a chance on Smith re- my last post on the matter, than on a bum who nobody likes and his plod, and not playing Green.
Don't waste your time

TheParraboy

Staff member
Whats a good pass mark for Smith as opener in these two tests considering the opposition?

Assuming he will bat 3 times, ie. we win one test by an innings

210 runs, average 70 ?

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think Smith is in decline (the beginning?), it happens to all the greats, no shame in acknowledging it

We have all seen the way he has batted, and the way he has been getting out

Because he has come from years of dominating, averaging 49 in recent times is still bloody good, but not the Smith of old, where he was averaging 70+ in seasons.

Maybe the opening gig might give him a positive reset, should dominate the West Indies and do well vs the Kiwis. Be interested to see how he goes beyond

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I think Smith is in decline (the beginning?), it happens to all the greats, no shame in acknowledging it

Because he has come from years of dominating, averaging 49 in recent times is still bloody good, but not the Smith of old, where he was averaging 70+ in seasons.

Maybe the opening gig might give him a positive reset, should dominate the West Indies and do well vs the Kiwis. Be interested to see how he goes beyond
He'll average ×3 what Harris would at least and probably double Snitchcroft

Fangs

Coach

As you say the average is still good. Its just the way he has been going about it which is troubling.

I feel as though the skills have only diminished a little. Maybe getting out bowled/LBW a bit more? No stats for that but at his peak he was great with anything on the pads.

Most of it looks like headspace to me. His last dismissal at the SCG was partially the surface but it was premeditated coming down the pitch. That is not Steve Smith.