What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: England v New Zealand @ Lords Jun 2-6, 2022

JJ

Immortal
Gotta say, from what I watched last night it didn't seem like it should be a 17 wicket day. But here we are.

I mean it obviously wasn't easy with the stick but it looked like two very skinny batting lineups more than a demonic deck
No prep at all for our lot... missing Nicholls (who I am not really sold on), latham really is overvblown, and Williamson hasn't batted since he duelled John Snow at Carisbrook...

Lot of excuses, I have to trust we won't bat as badly again - they have long documented batting issues

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
f**k me sideways

New Zealand Flag
New Zealand
England Flag
England
(36 ov) 116/7

Day 1 - England trail by 16 runs.

Meth

Staff member
Great partnership between Blundell and Mitchell. Can’t see NZ losing from here.

I can.

But yes, great innings from two players on the fringe a little. I mean, if Nicholls were playing, Mitchell probably wouldn't be...but Mitchell has never let this team down, has he? Hopefully, this goes a way towards confirming him in the side. Nicholls is a gun fielder, but tends to post a string of poor scores, punctuated by the occasional big score that accomplishes just enough to make us all think that he's come right.

edabomb

First Grade
I can.

But yes, great innings from two players on the fringe a little. I mean, if Nicholls were playing, Mitchell probably wouldn't be...but Mitchell has never let this team down, has he? Hopefully, this goes a way towards confirming him in the side. Nicholls is a gun fielder, but tends to post a string of poor scores, punctuated by the occasional big score that accomplishes just enough to make us all think that he's come right.
Another option is switching Conway to open, Nicholls to 4 and Mitchell remains at 5. Against quality fast bowling I'd back Nicholls to make more runs at 4 than Latham or Young opening, and Conway is equally good wherever he bats.

JJ

Immortal
It’s good that we have some selection options

I’m not a huge fan of Blundell at 6, but Colin is not that guy, shame Mitchell can’t do a little more with the ball

I like Young and Latham opening although neither are as good as some argue

hard to believe Conway and Williamson will offer do little moving forward, but preparation has been a non event especially for Williamson

Mitchell very much providing thought for when Nicholls is fit…

Fangs

Coach
I like this Colin de Grandhomme bloke. The definition of handy.

Perhaps even more handy than Ian 'Handy' Harvey himself.