What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: New Zealand v Australia @ Basin Reserve Wellington Feb 29 - Mar 4, 2024

JamesRustle

First Grade
Would be fantastic if this game finishes about 1pm on Sunday so I can go for a piss, get pints and put on a couple of nrl bets before the season starts.

Don't know how that happens, when we can realistically declare any time after the first ball of day 3.

JJ

Immortal
Today’s performance just illustrates how the NZ team simply don’t believe they can beat Australia in a test, but give us India, England, whoever, and we do…. Just weird

King-Gutho94

Coach
I can’t work out how he got it that high, and people thought he was elite. He’s bog average at best, and luck wise he’s astonishing, Nicholls is Brett Papworth by comparison
He dined out on some minnow called NZ in 2019/20 summer.

Scored a double, hundred, and a couple of 50s. In a 3 match series.

Rod

Bench
Today’s performance just illustrates how the NZ team simply don’t believe they can beat Australia in a test, but give us India, England, whoever, and we do…. Just weird
It is unquestionably mental and whichever coach/captain can resolve it should get a 10 year contract.

That first session today was the most pitiful and rudderless display from a NZ side I've seen since the 45 against SA a decade ago.

Reactions: JJ
NZ with 1 win over Aus in 20 odd years. Which was by 7 runs where an individual performance with the ball in the fourth inning saw them home (Bracewell 6/40 defending 240) - which suggests it’s definitely mental, they are reliant on an individual’s brilliance to see them over the line.

Not sure why it hits them so bad, there was a period where australia were an all time side and nz were at a low ebb, but on talent the teams are fairly even now. My guess is they see it as their biggest series whereas for us it’s below England and India, and until recently South Africa. Our guys are relaxed coming into playing the kiwis whilst they’re psyching themselves out.

King-Gutho94

Coach

I reckon it must kill the Kiwis more that a true Kiwi Cricket legend like Daniel Vettori is now an adopted Aussie, won a World Cup as assistant coach.

Now decked out in Aussie gear.

Compared to another ex Kiwi in Smug McCullum coaching England and trying to claim credit for changing the game.

JJ

Immortal

I reckon it must kill the Kiwis more that a true Kiwi Cricket legend like Daniel Vettori is now an adopted Aussie, won a World Cup as assistant coach.

Now decked out in Aussie gear.

Compared to another ex Kiwi in Smug McCullum coaching England and trying to claim credit for changing the game.
We could do worse than Dan and Flem coaching the test team imo, some combination of them would be ideal

Front-Rower

First Grade
NZ with 1 win over Aus in 20 odd years. Which was by 7 runs where an individual performance with the ball in the fourth inning saw them home (Bracewell 6/40 defending 240) - which suggests it’s definitely mental, they are reliant on an individual’s brilliance to see them over the line.
There is a long way to go in the game but Green’s 1st innings knock is the difference so far. It’s not like the Australian’s are doing much better.

JJ

Immortal
There is a long way to go in the game but Green’s 1st innings knock is the difference so far. It’s not like the Australian’s are doing much better.
his innings was a great one, no mistake - and he made it a huge difference - lot of ground to make up. Shame Conway's not there, and re the coaching above I'm still not seeing the sense in not playing Wagner - his character and effort lifts everyone, and Kuggeleijn ignoring the off field questions about his character, is just a complete flog - his "innings" when he's selected partly for his batting prowess was a disgrace, and after his initial spell he struggled to break 130 or so, at least Wagner will bowl all day and inspire others

King-Gutho94

Coach

Not sure why it hits them so bad, there was a period where australia were an all time side and nz were at a low ebb, but on talent the teams are fairly even now. My guess is they see it as their biggest series whereas for us it’s below England and India, and until recently South Africa. Our guys are relaxed coming into playing the kiwis whilst they’re psyching themselves out.
That Hobart win came from nowhere really as well.

Kiwis were rolled for 150 on day 1 and I think everyone just assumed another Australian win.

We were like 1/130 chasing 240 in complete cruise control it was pretty similar to the west indies win at the gabba a few weeks back where Warner carried the bat as opener like Smith did and we lost by less then 10 runs.