What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 years ago today

tumblr_le99ooaIoM1qa1iiqo1_500.jpg

One of the greatest singers and entertainers ever and I wish I could have seen them live.

RIP

http://youtu.be/VMnjF1O4eH0

beave

Coach
good god has it really been that long???????? I remember moving down to Sydney as a 12 year old and we over nighted in Brissy on the way down and this was all over the news when we got to my uncle's house, I was devastated as I had just started getting into them (thanks to my walkman lol!!!!)

RIP Freddie.

Eelsman18

Juniors
The world's greatest front-man.
The way he drew in an audience from the minute he stepped out onto the stage, was simply breathtaking.

Especially at the Live Aid concert. He had the audience in the palm of his hand.

roofromoz

First Grade
The world's greatest front-man.
The way he drew in an audience from the minute he stepped out onto the stage, was simply breathtaking.

Especially at the Live Aid concert. He had the audience in the palm of his hand.

+1.

snoozer

Bench
saw them live in sydney.(85-i think)

f**king awesome show.hit after hit after hit.

freddy just owned the joint.

was devastated when i heard he was dead.

on a side note - i watched "classic albums" - "a night at the opera" yesterday. great viewing for any music fan.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah epic frontman. So many great songs, a huge variety of hits, he could sing brilliantly. Been playing Queen heavily on the iPod this week in tribute to a legend, also got to see a tribute band at the State Theatre a few weeks ago, great show and made it very sad that I was too young to see him in concert.

Great performer, rest in peace.

Nuke

Staff member
As a massive Queen fan, I would have loved to have seen him live. One album in particular stands out for me as being epic: 'Innuendo' (1991). It's not their greatest album (although is one of my favourites behind 'Queen II'), but Freddie was incredibly sick by this stage, and the way he belts out songs like 'The Show Must Go On' (my favourite of all time) is just jaw-dropping.

I've heard/read many times during these sessions and the following (what was to be) 'Made In Heaven' sessions, he'd knock down a few shots of vodka, prop himself up on the desk, and give it everything he had.

There will never be another one like Freddie.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been a Queen fan all my life.

Their pre 1980 stuff was more rock and most fans love it more and I can unerstand that, but there's an epicness about Innuendo, it was almost like a return to the Sheer heart Attack album in sorts, what with all the variety and brilliance of every track.

I too love the Innuendo album and even the Miracle for me is a great album which gets little recognition, followed by News Of The World and Jazz.

Clearly, the second greatest singing voice I've ever heard, behind Luciano Pavarotti.

And there is the biggest possible gap to whoever is third on the list.

These two will never be replaced.

You can't tell me you can listen to Nessun Dorma or The Show Must Go On and actually concentrate entirely on the music and not feel emotionally moved in some way.

Spectacular voice.

Was that the one on ABC 2?

That final fifteen minutes was one of the saddest things I've seen.

Freddie looked like death yet could still find the energy to pump out the tunes.

Amazing really.

Yeah, sorry it was ABC2, I had it series linked.

You're right about the last part, Freddy's dedication to continue making records in the pain he must have been in was staggering.

Latest posts