What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

Balmain_Boy

Crowds are abysmal this year.

I wonder if the powers that be are rethinking their decision to stife attack this year?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
CRO v NEW @ Toyota 17,574
SOU v CAN @ Telstra 6,152
PEN v NZW @ CUASP 9,725
PAR v MAN @ Parra 15,404
BRI v WES @ Suncorp 31,500
STG v MEL @ OKI Jubilee 13,866
SYD v NQL @ Aussie 7,617

Total: 101,838
Average: 14,548

f**k ewe Soufs, and Sydney.

roosterbooster, it was 7,617.
roosterbooster, two weeks ago Saints got 18,200 to OKI Jubilee
roosterbooster, those in glass houses... you know the rest ;-)

ledzep

Bench
i know the roosters crowds are sh*t, and that they have a huge bandwagon
everyone knows that
yet we always hear about the 'massive' dragons supporters base, which never seems to turn up
today was a sunny day, dragons in the top 4, playing against the league leaders
roosters would have got at least 17k in similar circumstances

Timmah

Staff member
Top drawing out of towners:
Brisbane, NQ, Newcastle.

Top drawing Sydney clubs:
Canterbury, Wests, Saints.

Mate you're in no position to criticise Saints crowds.
The league leaders may have been playing them, but the league leaders aren't a high drawing side in NSW.

roosterbooster1 said:
i know the roosters crowds are sh*t, and that they have a huge bandwagon
everyone knows that
yet we always hear about the 'massive' dragons supporters base, which never seems to turn up
today was a sunny day, dragons in the top 4, playing against the league leaders
roosters would have got at least 17k in similar circumstances

Completely agree. Earlier this year the Tigers on the back of 2 losses still managed 17k against Melbourne. For some reason we're disparaged as fairweather supporters while St George are celebrated for their immense support base. 13k is pathetic.

Most other Syd sides in ST George's position would have attracted a greater turnout.

BTW artful dodger, Manly's crowds would eclipse StGeorge's average.

yakstorm

First Grade
I think today's St George-Illawarra crowd is just another classic example that this year many NRL clubs just 'expected' people to turn up cause they did last year.

You only have to look at a number of what should be 'easy to sell-out' blockbusters turned into fizzers of crowds.

Illawarra/Steeler Heritage Day - Usually draws capacity crowds at WIN only got 13,708 this year.

Steve Rogers Tribute by the Sharks
- Should of sold out, he was well respected by the club and its fans, yet only 14,221 turned out.

SCG Grand Final Replay - 19,208 was a goodish crowd, but why wasn't this match promoted? It could of been close to a sell out if it was promoted as the event it was.

Wests Tigers at Campbelltown - 15,550 and 14,499 respectively against Cronulla and Newcastle, so certainly on paper they weren't 'fizzers' of matches, but I honestly believe Wests Tigers just assumed the people of Campbelltown would pack out the ground with zero promotion.

Easter Monday Clash - 12,541 far from the Bulldogs fault, this should of again been another joint club / NRL thing of making this clash on a public holiday an 'event' of some sort. There is a lot you could of done, perhaps a made it as a tribute to the 94' Grand Final or attempt to draw everyone from the Royal Easter Show into the ground.

Now these are only a handful from throughout the season, but clearly as Im sure everyone agrees, there has been some wasted oppotunties this year to get bums on seats, and now we are suffering for it with the crowd average.

The NRL I really think needs to look to really get crowds in next year and perhaps try to make an 'event' game each round or something to boost the figures. Ensure the marquee matches are packed out first and then it reduces the need to rely on lower type clashes to draw crowds.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Why the hell wouldnt you want to go see your team play Melbourne... Even if your team is going to lose, you have to enjoy the style of footy they are playing... My favorite live game this year was Melb v Broncs at OP.

Good crowd out at Suncorp yesterday, i was backing up with a massive hangover from the bloodyslow the night before.

flamin

Juniors
Brisbane should start advertising for the Storm game in R23 now. They always get almost 50k every year close to the finals against the comp farvourites (dragons 2005, bulldogs 2004). While I don't think the Storm will draw as high as these games in previous years, an effort should be made now.

miccle

Bench
I was stoked to be one of 31,500 out at Suncorp. Disgusted with the result, but nevertheless happy to see such a great crowd there, and plenty of Tigers fans who were all pretty damn decent folk!

Just hope our horrible form doesn't scare people away for the games against Melbourne and NZ.

Timmah

Staff member
I can't see anything under 28 or 29k for Melbourne, it will be an absolute corker. NZ also draws well in Brissy from memory.

Raider_69

Post Whore
6k to souths :lol:
laughing arnt you? i know thats what they claimed it was, but fair dinkum, there would of been lucky to have 5k there... plenty of them green machine fans too... souths, pride of the league? HA!

and of those 5000, i recon at least half strolled in with a free telegraph ticket
i know of the 20-30 odd raiders fans sitting in our area only about 5 paided to get in

Timmah

Staff member
Round 22
PAR v STG @ Parra 19,137

Total: 19,137
Average: 19,137

Timmah

Staff member
Stats and home averages updated to the end of R21.

Ice777

Bench
Round 22

Parra V St George 19,137
Storm V Tigers 12,481
Cowboys V Dogs 20,486
Warriors V Sharks 4850 :sarcasm:

Total: 56,949
Average: 14,241

t-ba

Post Whore
You'd hope for the future of the franchise that the warriors can have a decent season next year...It was in the driving rain, but that's just criminally low!

Ice777

Bench
Like i said in another thread, fair enough the crowd was down because it was raining, but you'd still expect a couple thousand more at the very least i reckon. Our lowest crowd ever at Olympic Park was 7454 and i can tell you now we've had some absolute shocking nights weather wise there.

t-ba

Post Whore
Ice777 said:
Like i said in another thread, fair enough the crowd was down because it was raining, but you'd still expect a couple thousand more at the very least i reckon. Our lowest crowd ever at Olympic Park was 7454 and i can tell you now we've had some absolute shocking nights weather wise there.

This is The Warriors third season without finals action in a year when they were docked four points at the start. Melbourne's also roughly three times the size of Auckland, and has failed to produce players as awesome as Ruben the Muss.;-) It's hardly comparable to Melbourne's position at any stage of their existance.

That is one sh*t crowd though...Manly's worst crowd was 1420 in 1997 though:lol:

Ice777

Bench
Rugby league is also not a so called major sport as it is in NZ. You'd think that it was as foreign to them over there as it is to most Melburnians when in actual fact it's one of their main codes. It's pathetic no matter what kind of spin you put on it.

Latest posts