What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

In-goal

Bench
I think it's a highly dissapointing start to the season, the AFL will be licking their lips especially with this our centenary season.

j5o6hn

Juniors
I have a feeling that the economy may have a bit to do with it,people tighten there belts ect I don,t think they have the money to throw around any more.
Don,t know how much it costs to go to the Football in Sydney,and it was at the SFS,I think all codes are going to find it tight for the next couple of years.
If the US goes into recession it will get worse

mark123

Juniors
What i said about going to the game holds true.

Its economics, both financial and social.

This needs to be a complete assault on attendance. You need to increase the rewards for going to the game by making the experience better and you need to decrease the effort required to go to a game as well. In the 90's it was big hair and cheer girls and pre match action, music over the loud speakers after a try, annoying ground announcers with a good voice.... That was successful to a point. But why did we stop improving on it? The gap for improvement is huge. We gotta move again.

RL needs to re-invent the attendance spirit to take it to the future. Let me think of some stuff off the top of my head, that may not work, but its certainly better!! You decide if it will work for you.

You need atmosphere. Atmosphere is like a drug, its the sporting equivalent of cocaine. Why don't we have drums and trumpets and singing? Where is this culture? Where is the cheering....if you are cheering you are supporting!! You have passion and pride and WANT your team to win, it makes a supporter out of you, and a paying customer. If there is noise and trumpetry and music and cheers and lots of clapping, and rejoicing in the stands and whatever you can think of thats not sitting on your hands, its better than what we have now! OZ RL crowds are BORING!!!! Where's the flags in sydney? I saw thousands of flags on the Gold coast. Team colors, everyone was in blue. Where is that in sydney?

YOU need sight. Sound. Smells. Tastes. Invade peoples sensory organs. Invade it with league. We want seas of team colors and flags pits of singing and bands playing. Then let people "belong" to that. Segregate fans in sydney as much as possible. Let their cheers oppose each other instead of mix.

If you are no where near that point, work out a way to GET THERE. Bit by bit, effort by effort. First work out what you want, then set about to get it. This stuff does not change, its basic stuff and league should be doing it.

Yet all we ever got in the past 10 years is stadiums clamping down on this stuff for league. Its horrible.

You do the re balancing all the way down to the "break even" point or the point of best efficiency - which is the resources required to do the thing against the pay-off received from doing it...payoff can be monetary or social in nature, at the end of the day it all adds up. For example, you examine the cost to you for lowering ticket prices to an acceptable level, if lowering of ticket prices is indeed needed. You need to balance it out, otherwise you'd be giving it away for free.

I know for one that the price to attend matches and the effort required in this day and age, with sydney's antiquated transport network, is just too much for most people.

Don't forget everyone can take the easy option here by watching on tv.

How do you make the experience of going to the game so good that it outweighs the easiness of watching on tv; to get enough people who would otherwise watch on tv to goto the game? Because lack of motivation to go out to a game is a huge factor in all of this. How many families go anymore?

ONE OF THE greatest travesties to emerge in recent years is the decline of the family pass. Now a family pass is just 1 adult and one child in some places. I am sorry, but this is a disgrace. How many families exist of 1 adult and child? What happened to value for money? A family pass should get 2 adults and 2 children in at least! Maybe 3! We have so many empty seats its NOT FUNNY! How are we going to get the kids to have an attendance-culture or even a supporters-culture if THEY ARE NOT GOING TO THE GAMES? If you think you already have a lot of kids going to games, good for you, but I BET you could have more. Get rid of the stingy family pass and re-instate value into it. EMBRACE PEOPLE, don't rip them off. Its a church for crying out loud - if they want in, let them. Our League god is not picky. He can't afford to be.

And what about the PRICE at wests!? 99 bucks for a FAMILY? They are a family! Its hard enough for most families out there to stick together, and here we are in league slugging them a hefty fee. We should be a source of happiness and entertainment and cohesiveness for them....we are TRYING TO BRING THEM TOGETHER, NOT break them up. Dads under enough strain as it is, so's mum. Whats more: they are a desire-spawning mini-community for rugby league. Its a family who will grow up with league, and grow to love league and attend league. 50 bucks maximum. I want to say to people....if you are an adult, and you attend league with another adult and a few children, then you are a "league Priest" and you instill league-thoughts into children, and YOU SHALL GET IN CHEAPLY for you service to league because you brought in 3 extra people for us. Thank you. MAX price 50 bucks.

What do we want eventually? Well we would surely want a situation where demand outstripped supply by a long way. Imagine a waiting list to go see a rugby league game! Imagine the anticipation from children and adults alike!? Get there, and THEN increase the costs to a new "balance point".

Don't tell me we are doing everything....

BECAUSE RUGBY LEAGUE IS DOING NOTHING!!

Simple things. Why are we as rugby league trying to rip off the people who finance the sport!!?

Then you need to look at balancing those to sides.

Some things that we will run across on the list, like ticket prices and food costs, might be easy to change. Some will be hard like transport, accessibility, facilities, fan motivation/laziness, attendance-culture.

Either way, it needs to be done. Or we will have an eternity of low crowds.

The one positive seems to be that average crowds are generally increasing. But its at a rate thats slower than the increase in league's popularity is suggesting. That popularity needs to be translated. Some serious discovery work needs to happen, and some back and forth between clubs, governing bodies and fans.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Melbourne need to bring 21,700 through the gate at the Dome tomorrow night to eclipse the 2007 figure.

The Tank

Bench
Timmah said:
Melbourne need to bring 21,700 through the gate at the Dome tomorrow night to eclipse the 2007 figure.

I don't think they'll make it. I predict 14k for Melbourne.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Just an addition to the economic reasons maybe the NRL is going to have to lower prices, I mean really lower them,2$ for a child $10 for mum and dad its called marketing, but then we have the dead hand of NEWS ltd and I wonder if the NRL know anything about Marketing.
Give it a try see what happens

Red Bear

Referee
why doesnt NEWS, the multi billion dollar organisation that owns half of the game, do something to subsidise ticket prices to get people out to the game.

A good option IMO would be to make any ticket purchased for the footy cover any public transport costs. Same price but free public transport would be great.

Billythekid

First Grade
j5o6hn said:
Just an addition to the economic reasons maybe the NRL is going to have to lower prices, I mean really lower them,2$ for a child $10 for mum and dad its called marketing, but then we have the dead hand of NEWS ltd and I wonder if the NRL know anything about Marketing.
Give it a try see what happens

I think the NRL does need to lower it's prices in some cases, perhaps not as much as you but lowered a bit.

Whilst it's a disappointing week, it is just one week and i'll be interested how the crowds go next week.

As for the argument about the economy i think it's garbage. Next week when the AFL has absolutely massive crowds we'll see how that argument holds up.

mattyg

Bench
paying $15 for parking at ANZ certaintly doesn't attract people there. Especially when you will only be there for 3 hours. I mean, you can choose to pay for only 3 hours parking if you pay after the game (total of $9) - but be forced to wait 30 minutes to be served, and then get stuck for an hour in the carpark. Shouldn't cost any more than $5 to park the car there - and tickets could probably be lowered slightly - i reckon reserved and general admission for ANZ stadium games, with reserved being $25 adult, $15 child and general being $15 adult, $10 child (or $40 family). If you could spend a day at the footy with your family for less than $50 (excluding food) or there abouts, i think we'd definately see an increase in the crowds. At the moment you spend $100 before you even get in the gates

russ13

First Grade
c_eagle said:
Brisbane averaged 34k last year, pretty poor crowd there too. Below par everywhere bar the GC, tbh.

Only 24k were at the Penrith & Broncos played in Brisbane last year. So there's a slight improvement there.

t-ba

Post Whore
russ13 said:
Only 24k were at the Penrith & Broncos played in Brisbane last year. So there's a slight improvement there.

It was however a season opener.

It says alot about how much the game has improved in the last decade that we can call a round that is easily going to average 20k as 'attrocious' however.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Lets be honest here, the 25,000 at ANZ was great, the time of the game was sh*thouse, it was f**king hot and felt more like summer.

If that game was fri night it would've gotten 35,000 imo

miccle

Bench
I was a little disappointed with the Brisbane crowd, but not by much.

As has been mentioned before, this same game only got 24k last year, and in my four-odd years of going to the revamped Suncorp, I have honestly never seen so few opposition supporters at a match. There would've been 3,000 Penny supporters there, maximum.

I actually think it's a great idea and would like to see us open the season against teams that traditionally draw lower crowds up here like Penrith and Canberra.

See, we're going to get the 40k+ against the Dogs, Dragons, Cowboys, Titans and probably even Parra regardless of when we play them. Making a "lesser drawing" team the opening home match of the comp squeezes a few more through the gates than would normally attend.

Still hopeful of a 35k average this year. With form on our side, we'll get there!

beave

Coach
i am a bit disappointed as well at the crowd figures, considering the whole 100 year promos and games that are generally billed as "Derbies", i thought more people would have showed up, and this isn't knocking Sydney people, i think the Broncos crowd was a bit disappointing as well. People who don't think Pay TV/current economic climate should be effecting the crowds I think need to have a reality check, IMO it's definetley having an effect.

This Year?

Immortal
Public transport was a bit of an issue..there was trackwork on the Campbelltown line. I guess that might have turned a few people off.

brendothejet

First Grade
ByRd said:
Just over 18k on a sunny sunday afternoon in which 2 Sydney clubs are playing, that is really shocking from both sides and there fans should be disappointed, and so should the NRL, i dont know what needs to be done to get more people to the game but they have to look at something soon cause the figures this wkend have been average at best.

point fingers at the tigers fans. They were nowhere to be seen. It was all red and white.

shame the field didn't reflect that.

I was dissapopinted across the park with round 1.

yobbo84

Coach
Friday night was disappointing. The turnout of Roosters supporters was pathetic. Looked to be around the 5k mark (about 2-3 bays).

beave

Coach
*sigh*

I just wish for once, a thread can NOT start into a Bunnies v Roosters slanging fest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts