What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

yobbo84

Coach
ozzie said:
did you include Bay 108 - it was packed with Rooster fans - great seats - right on the halfway line. I'd be more in the belief the crowd was 60/40 but there were certainly more than 5000. a worry for Souths should be that the Burrow was empty. I also saw a fair few flags Rooster flags over that side as well. Where were you sitting.

I don't mind of you had a ball park figure but you are well out. Everywhere there were people wearing the Red Blue and white. The Rooster fans were mingled through out the crowd as the bays allocated to us were in sh*t positions

I was in Bay 107, so I could see bay 108. The Western side was 90% Souths and the Eastern probably 60/40. Ok then, there were probably 8k Roosters supporters there - either way it was a disappointing turnout.

dgsfan

Juniors
Ah, more proof that Sydney doesn't give a sh*t about anything that's not a massive boat on the harbor.

t-ba

Post Whore
dgsfan said:
Ah, more proof that Sydney doesn't give a sh*t about anything that's not a massive boat on the harbor.

Waited 5 months to make that post eh?

Spectacular.

Danish

Referee
yobbo84 said:
I was in Bay 107, so I could see bay 108. The Western side was 90% Souths and the Eastern probably 60/40. Ok then, there were probably 8k Roosters supporters there - either way it was a disappointing turnout.

considering that estimate is more than half of your average (and around 65% of our average as well) crowd last year, should that really be that disappointing??

Looking around the stadium I think it was closer to 35K than the figure quoted. Souths have skimmed a few off the top to sprinkle across the smaller crowds throughout the season IMO.

The real disappointment was the dogs eels game IMO. Eels home game at the dogs home ground, 5-10 min drive from their heartlands, supposedly 2 of the most supported teams in all of sydney, and they couldnt get near the Souths/Roosters figures.

f**king pathetic really.

innsaneink

Referee
Danish said:
considering that estimate is more than half of your average (and around 65% of our average as well) crowd last year, should that really be that disappointing??

Looking around the stadium I think it was closer to 35K than the figure quoted. Souths have skimmed a few off the top to sprinkle across the smaller crowds throughout the season IMO.

The real disappointment was the dogs eels game IMO. Eels home game at the dogs home ground, 5-10 min drive from their heartlands, supposedly 2 of the most supported teams in all of sydney, and they couldnt get near the Souths/Roosters figures.

f**king pathetic really.

It was less than 29k thats for sure...more like 22/23

Tigers/Bulldogs in 05 was 29500...last Fri wasnt close.

Knight87

Juniors
Slackboy72 said:
I'll give my answers of differences between NRL and AFL as a comparison between the MCG and the SFS.

Is there any major difference in price for NRL and the AFL tickets? GA yesterday for SFS was $23 versus $19.70 for MCG. Big difference is that GA at MCG still gets you a good seat.
What is the atmosphere like? Much of a muchness between the two.
Is it family friendly? Judging by the number of families turning up I'd say yes in the bigger grounds. Smaller grounds where it's a sh!tfight, no.
Is the ground clean? SFS is grotty like the great southern stand at the MCG. The olympic stand at the MCG is the best I've been to. Very modern and clean.
Are their updates of other NRL games, either loudspeaker or big screen? Big screens and audio system at MCG miles ahead.
Are there certain sections for families and the 'barmy army'!? Supporter groups sort of arrange that themselves.
Is food cheap? Cheaper at the MCG but still overpriced.
Is parking cheap? $10-12 at the MCG, $15-$20 at Moore Park.
Is it easy to park your car? Yeah. I sort of learned how to do that before I got my licence.
Are their buses to certain grounds? Trams and trains to MCG. Very cheap too. IIRC you can't use your weekly or daily ticket for buses to SFS. Special event tickets only. Pretty piss poor if you ask me.
Are matches promoted on radio/television/local paper? Promotion not needed in Victoria due to a general low level hysteria regarding AFL. Promotion for round 1 not really comparable but NRLs promotion is pissweak considering they should be trying to get people to the game.
Are free/reduced tickets given out to children playing rugby league for a club? Don't know.
Can children afford a ticket with their weekly pocket money? Don't know
Are there junior matches/9s before the main event kicks off? AFL has kids come on at half time. Noone watches but the kids love it.
Do any grounds regularly get sell-outs? MCG rarely sells out but with average crowds well over 30,000 that's not really a problem. Except for the Titans match I can't recall the last time a regular season NRL match was sold out. (Titans v Dragons rd 1 2007? )
Do the times of matches suit the fans or the television? AFL is infinitely more friendly with fans. So many matches played at 2 in the afternoon.
Do players recognise fans (clapping at end of match etc)? Not really an issue.
How many matches are on Saturday afternoon (best time)? A lot for AFL. None for NRL.
Are fans that travel to away matches rewarded in anyway? Only with the hassle of trying to get from one side of Sydney to the other. AFL it's just a trip into the center of town and back.
Is there enough replays, different angles of play on big screen? Plenty for both codes.
Do you think having matches on Monday at 7:00pm is helpful to fans? Not at all. it is helpful to FoxTel though.
Some people can only make matches on Sat/Sun, is there point in buying a season ticket? Not a lot for either. For NRL you would only buy a season ticket to get a good reserved seat. For AFL you can get good seats with GA tickets.
Do clubs know that they will be getting the same amount of money with 10,000 people paying $20 or 20,000 people paying $10? I don't think NRL clubs know much to be honest.

The last regular season NRL match that was sold out was:

Rd 25 2007 North Queensland vs Bulldogs at Dairy Farmers Stadium (24,050)

Last regular season NRL match in Sydney that was sold out was:

Rd 24 2007 Wests Tigers vs South Sydney at Leichhardt Oval (20,232)

Danish

Referee
innsaneink said:
It was less than 29k thats for sure...more like 22/23

Tigers/Bulldogs in 05 was 29500...last Fri wasnt close.

???

On the eastern side of the stadium the entire members was just about full, as well as a large portion of the top teer. The western side was probably a little more empty though.

Either way, piss weak effort by the eels/dogs. If the souths crowd was as low as you think, then they were in the teens

innsaneink

Referee
Wasnt at the Dogs Eels game, I was disappointed with Fris crowd, the pre match stuff was good...maybe I just been hangin out for footy

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dogs game was easily more than 20k, the vast majority of fans were on the non-visible side of the camera's point of view, i.e. the Western side and it's surrounds... there were a similar amount to the Souths game it was just far less obvious tbh.

beave

Coach
i hope this week we get 23-24k, but being that it's easter weekend and all and people generally leave town and so forth, i am a bit worried.

ByRd

First Grade
Round 1 Figures:

29, 386 @ ANZ
26, 974 @ Skilled
25, 065 @ ANZ
15, 424 @ Brookvale
17, 233 @ EAS
31, 250 @ Suncorp
18, 211 @ SFS
20, 084 @ Telstra Dome

Total: 183, 627
Avg: 22, 953

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Does anybody else think it was dumb scheduling GC v NQ, when GC could of played the Grafton Ghosts and still sold the place out for the opening night.

If it went GC v Penrith, and Bris v NQ , we could of added about 18 k to the total, based on last years figures for Bris v NQ.

At the end of the day a 22k average is reasonable, but it is not growth, hopefully the next few weeks will grow on last years figures.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Cumberland Throw said:
Does anybody else think it was dumb scheduling GC v NQ, when GC could of played the Grafton Ghosts and still sold the place out for the opening night.

If it went GC v Penrith, and Bris v NQ , we could of added about 18 k to the total, based on last years figures for Bris v NQ.

At the end of the day a 22k average is reasonable, but it is not growth, hopefully the next few weeks will grow on last years figures.

Yeah. I know they didn't play the traditional Bris/NQ opener because of the 100 year QLD league anniversary in round 3 I think but playing the Panthers was a weird replacement. Me thinks they were trying to get them out of the way so that their bigger rating games would draw in the crowds in the middle of the year.

But shifting the Cows to GC was stupid. Should have been Canberra or someone who doesn't bring a huge crowd to wherever else so that the Knights could draw more- 17,000 is pretty pathetic from them.

nqboy

First Grade
DINGb@T said:
But shifting the Cows to GC was stupid. Should have been Canberra or someone who doesn't bring a huge crowd to wherever else so that the Knights could draw more- 17,000 is pretty pathetic from them.
I'm not sure it is. I think without Jo E and a strong side and with BS in charge causing all manner of drama, they might struggle to reproduce the crowds of a few years ago. Knights fans have shouted me down when I have suggested this before but that doesn't make them right.

We'll see I guess.

c_eagle

Juniors
Knights fans will get reacquainted with their team when they start winning. The goodwill offered to the 2005 wooden spooners by the Newcastle public seems like a lifetime ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts