What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

miccle

Bench
Dantm said:
29,000 is a great crowd!

Any person that thinks the SFS would of got a bigger attendance are completley kidding themselves..

Ask yourself this question...

Excluding Finals and ANZAC Day,when was the last time the SFS got more than 29,000 for a regular season NSWRL/ARL/NRL game????

I know the answer and many of the so called"SFS wouldve got a bigger crowd" people probably wont believe it.

Might have more to do with the recent form of the club that calls that ground home, me thinks.

The Roosters' SFS crowds there last year were nothing short of woeful.

29k just isn't good enough imo... far too much build-up between the two teams for a sub-30k crowd.

Hoping the Dogs/Eels, Broncos/Panthers and Storm/Warriors can all crack the 30k mark.

lotti

Bench
hopefully, the Dome holds about 60,000 so it's a pretty good venue even with the roof closed.

mark123

Juniors
It bothers me that homebush is so inaccessable.

I was down in sydney last year or the year before and I took a tour of the stadium during the stay.

Going from Miranda Fair it took some 1 and a half hours. Maybe 2.

Ok, so Cronulla is near the coast and the stadium out west. But thats not the point.

Right now I should make a comparison. The major stadium in Brisbane is Lang Park. To get to Lang Park from the furtherest point in Brisbane it takes around 40 mins by train. You change trains once at worse. However, at the best, it takes under 20 mins from major population centers in the mid-ring of the city - and you don't need to change trains. Getting access to the best is easy enough and is not off-putting. So the majority of the population can get to LP in under 30 mins, most do it in under 20 and its not a hassle. Milton station is very close by LP and the walk is pleasant.

Back to homebush. The journey was so complex I am confused in near-entirety. I remember changing at Redfern then going out to a western train station and having to change there. I was overjoyed yet taxed when I finally got to the homebush Bay area. Then shattered as I learnt I had to get on a "shuttle" train to get to the stadium proper. I was furious when I discovered that we forced international visitors to walk many hundreds of meters in the middle of no where to stand on a platform and wait to yet another train to get to the stadium. I understand however, during peak times at the Olympics a platform this length was required. And may even be the case for big games at the stadium. But all in all, it was too much. Then from the final station which was very nice, it was yet another gargantuan walk to the stadium.

I am a fit person, but this was annoying.

The whole process of getting to this stadium was ridiculous. My wife travels to sydney and Melbourne all the time, and sometimes attends events at the stadiums, and indeed she has been to sydney often and knows about its transport system more so than I...and she was horrified that I was to put her through this journey. Even with the gold nugget of a stadium tour at the end. Because I am a hot guy, she ofcourse relented - but the pain I put her through to this day, I believe is still there. I have less street cred when it comes to exploring.

In any case, you wonder why you got a poor crowd, maybe you should consider 2 people who rarely take the journey to the stadium. Given the distance we needed to travel, we wished for a faster way.

You want people going to the stadium more? Make it easier to get to.

Perhaps after sydney's public transport system is revamped it will be easier. As I understand it, Sydney's public transport system is one of the most complex in the world. I think this is due from memory to the distances between population centers and the fact that the city also has 4 population hotspots along the bay area, separated by water, bridge, bays, etc. Where else in the world do you get that? Not only that, but the system of train tracks is now far inefficient and the whole system is under financed and bloated.

2 hours to go from Miranda fair to Homebush, even 2.5 hours, is ridiculous.

Thats your poor crowd. And poor view maybe once there? I think it was great for the Olympics but just inadequate for afterwards. Scaled too big.

t-ba

Post Whore
Cronulla is the arse end of Sydney.

It takes longer than an hour to get to Lang Park on Public transport from say Beenleigh or Redcliffe. In fact, on the weekends, the busses actually stopped running out to where I used to live (Underwood) after the game!

mark123

Juniors
Rebuttle to the Beenleigh/Redcliffe travel caper. What you say does not stack up.

Redcliffe doesnt take that long. If you drove to any one of the nearby train stations, park your car (plenty of parking) then catch the train, the journey's extra time is insignificant to experience. I would simply drive to burpengary, Petrie, Narangba, Morayfiled etc. People said they wanted a station at Redcliffe for years, but the fact of the matter is, there are many stations around that area for a slight inconvenience.

Now, Beenleigh is practically Gold Coast area - its half way to the gold coast. Its no longer Brisbane!!!! And there are no trains there.

I said worst case. I said a train station was near where I left from. Miranda fair, Kirrawee, etc.

I am talking in terms of ease of travel and experience.

I am not micro-guessing the city. Ofcourse you would have to live near a train station to be included in the comparison. However, even with the areas you listed, they 1. Dont count/silly to count it because its completely different in Beaudesert to Brisbane or Cronulla, and 2. Redcliffe, the train station is a short drive no more than 15 mins. I dont believe that 15 mins is a hindrance to attendance when after the drive you get onto a slick transport system like the one that takes you to a broncos home game.

I want an experience that stacks up and is comparable.

The Sydney experience is not one such.
Its tedious and annoying.

About Cronulla, they can average a max of 20k-24k....so you are saying you dont want the what-we-know-of "league-attending" public of up to 24K attending at Homebush.

How many do you think we could get to go of that from Cronulla to a big game at Homebush with the current setup? 1K? Less?

Now take those losses and think about them for the other areas of sydney that are similar.

And this is just ONE problem about attending at Homebush.

You gotta make it easy for people. Or make them see it as easy. The reward for going needs to be greater than the effort needed to go.

You either increase the reward or decrease the effort required .

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I thought there was talk of the Eels Bulldogs game getting 38,000?

Live against the gate is always going to effect league crowds, just another reason why we should be getting more from TV rights.

Dantm said:
29,000 is a great crowd!

Any person that thinks the SFS would of got a bigger attendance are completley kidding themselves..

Excluding Finals and ANZAC Day,when was the last time the SFS got more than 29,000 for a regular season NSWRL/ARL/NRL game????

I know the answer and many of the so called"SFS wouldve got a bigger crowd" people probably wont believe it.

Mate, a lot of my souths/roosters buddies simply won't go to Telstra.
Pain in the bum to get to, bars shut well before full time and your choices after the game is an expensive beer in a plastic cup at the Novatel or get ushered like a sheep onto the train. They still should've gone being first game and all. Right or wrong, I deadset believe more would've gone to the SFS.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
29,386 @ ANZ
26,974 @ Skilled
25,065 @ ANZ
15,424 @ Brookvale
17,233 @ EAS

TOTAL: 113,902

AVERAGE (5 games)

Suncorp and SFS should move that upwards tomorrow and then it's up to Melbourne to keep us well above the 20k mark.

Timmah said:
29,386 @ ANZ
26,974 @ Skilled
25,065 @ ANZ
15,424 @ Brookvale
17,233 @ EAS

The lesson here is that if, for some perverse reason, you still believed newspaper articles about "expected" crowds you should wake up to yourself.

Dantm

Juniors
Dantm said:
29,000 is a great crowd!

Ill answer my own question.....

The answer is:
July 1996 -35,075-Sydney City Roosters vs Brisbane

In other words....
Once!...Just once in the 20 year history of the SFS has there been an attendance greater than 29,000 for a regular season NRL game(excl ANZAC Day).......

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

mark123

Juniors
there are 4 million people in that city, right?

How big is league again?

Sheesh. The only way is up, one knows.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Really praying for Broncos/Panthers to pull 40 thousand and Tigers/Dragons to pull 30. Isnt that unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts