What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark123

Juniors
Up watching the early UFC no holes barred fights before all the rules. Royce Gracie is a Champion of the highest order. Its a sadness how in our over-governed world someone like Gracie was not allowed to shine through what were the tumultuous early years of the UFC. We must remember that its this kind of negative thinking and agenda that we as rugby league fans must continue to face. Yes, the UFC was violent, but so is life. Gracie, a champion of Jiu-Jitsu, went into the UFC knowing he may have to use extreme violence, however, he said he would not use it unnecessarily. He showed control and skill and technique. Such as we should in life. Action with thought beforehand is always best. Yes he could punch and kick with deadly force as well. He had that ability. BUt his grapple was his most lethal technique. This man was almost undefeatable (sakabura who also does Jiu Jitsu did so but by a wisker), a vice....his father who taught him had never been defeated, and neither had Royce who really is a living Brazillian Bruce Lee. He was never allowed to shine because of the bad publicity this competition received. But forget the media for the moment, and so called do-gooders who denigrated this tournament and upheld what I call peoples wrong perceptions about such a thing. We must remember the world is a violent place. It always has been and always will be. Just because you can beat someone up, doesnt mean you should go and beat someone up. Those who know how to fight rarely fight. Just like those with respect for weapons rarely kill people with them. People must have respect for each other.

Its sad that the perception of the world is twisted by what we may believe to be the "right" thing. We deny our human nature, we deny manliness and instead use machoness, and we deny reality. Those men in the UFC were competitors and thats Human nature as well. All were fantastic people with high self-image and values and massive respect for one another. They were not violent killers, show-boaters, or fakes. They were practitioners of martial arts - the real deal.

In league we need to respect our teams and our values and uphold this. One way we can do this is to support them at the game. And deny the media destroying high and valued perceptions of our game.

I believe that the Broncos might get 40K. I could be wrong.

I don't believe that the tigers will get 30k. I could be wrong again.

If I had to pick a figure for the Broncos, I would base it on the following. Given that I was able to get 5 seats in the maroon section on the western side, which is in line with the goal-line, I would say that most of maroon is gone. Certainly was during the week when it was listed as just single seats available, however more have become available tonight. Perhaps its a computer re-calculation thing, or a marketing technique. So thats BEST 5 MAROON seats available are goal line north end western side. BEST WHITE with 5 seats in a row was North end section 331 behind the goal posts to one side.

Then I tried to get 10 seats in the WHITE section and was denied. This got me wondering. Maroon sections are on the sides on each end of the gold section on each tier. White sections go all the way around the stadium and only a couple of bays of red and blue separate the white. Blue is away supporters I think and red is the dry section.

SO WHITE section tickets denied me a block of 10 seats in a row. The best tickets I could get for white were a block of 5 at the southern end. I tried again 10 minutes later and found I could do no better.

Then I tried again a bit later and found that I could get 10 tickets in the white section 20 rows back. But I could not get any more. The site said that none were available.

I am not sure what is happening, but I think that since this match is not on FTA and its the first of the season people will go to it. And I also think that the ticketek system is not one where you can just go in and continually ask for tickets one after the other. I think this is to stop spamming, such as what I was doing. People who are genuine would know how many are going and exactly what they needed. And would avoid being trapped such as I.

They had sold 25,000 mid week. Best 5 maroon were in line with goal. Best 10 white were southern stand. The northern stand is the more popular since its nearer to the station.

I think they will get 45K based on what I saw. BUT one must consider that no "single seats" or "allocation exhausted" signs have gone up for any categories. So sales could be as low as 30-35K. Or sales could be just off those levels. Or they may not be opening up the upper tiers. Then again, the upper tiers are always full when seats are available on the lower levels such as what I saw on ticketek.

Guess we will know later. Final prediction is 35-45K.

mark123

Juniors
lol @ newspaper articles.

They are just there in this case to ramp up your expectations and get you excited. They have no clue, designedly so, because the predictions are all a load of crap.

I think if there was any intention in the articles, it backfires, because if it were to work the only way it would, would be to provide ticketing details right beneath the article, as part of the article.

This ofcourse is then an advert and the paper cannot be seen to blatantly do this.

So what they are left with, is for getting-people-to-the-game purposes, ineffective. You really need to "lead" people into the next step in marketing. Just to make sure all the lemmings jump when you say. Even then its hard to get all lemmings to part with hard-earned cash in todays climate. Then travel to the stadium and effort. Two things people hate.

What the articles also fail to mention is that sales usually decline each day closer to the match. Broncos had sold 25K by Wednesday, but it wont be a full house just because half were sold so soon. I dont think it will be too big. A day out and still only gold is exhausted. As poisitive as I am, a conservative guess is just 35K, which is close to the average.

When you read lines like "they have already sold 25k which is what the corresponding match got last year" you just know its all fluff designed to build you up.

Its a news ltd paper after all.

I still think they should put ticketing details in the article.

So much more effective. I do wonder though how many people after discovering the game is not on FTA will go out to the stadium when before they would not have gone. Very few one would think, given peoples habits.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There seemed to me to be way more then 4,000 extra people at the Souths game on Friday compared to the Eels game yesterday....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Having been at both games I can tell you that's not correct. The vast majority of people were sitting on the shady side - simple as that.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Timmah said:
Having been at both games I can tell you that's not correct. The vast majority of people were sitting on the shady side - simple as that.

Yeah i agree.

I was on the sunny side and just looking over at the shady side i thought there were 30 thousand or more because obviously i couldnt really see my side that well besides the immediate people beside me.

c_eagle

Juniors
Very very disappointed with all the crowds this week. I think the NRL is in a much weaker position in Sydney than we'd all like to admit.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Very Very disappointing is a big call, NRL is on track to beat round 1 record,

Round 1 source - rleague.com

2003 Attendance:123,405 Ave:17,629
2004 Attendance:138,304 Ave:19,757
2005 Attendance:159,614 Ave:22,802
2006 Attendance:161,713 Ave:23,101
2007 Attendance:185,051 Ave:23,131
2008 ?

Timmah

Staff member
Nice pick CT... 31,250 was the figure...

29,386 @ ANZ
26,974 @ Skilled
25,065 @ ANZ
15,424 @ Brookvale
17,233 @ EAS
31,250 @ Suncorp

TOTAL: 145,152

AVERAGE (6 games): 24,192

... looks empty at the SFS...

mark123

Juniors
Well people dont want to make the sacrifices in sydney. They are going to have to. A big drive for support will need to come in the next decade.

mattyg

Bench
dissapointing in Brisbane too. I kept hearing that 36k tickets had been sold and they were expecting about 40k. Pretty dissapointing all round this weekend, but i think we can definately put that down to interest rates and petrol prices

Timmah

Staff member
29,386 @ ANZ
26,974 @ Skilled
25,065 @ ANZ
15,424 @ Brookvale
17,233 @ EAS
31,250 @ Suncorp
18,211 @ SFS

TOTAL: 163,363

AVERAGE (7 games): 23,338

ByRd

First Grade
Just over 18k on a sunny sunday afternoon in which 2 Sydney clubs are playing, that is really shocking from both sides and there fans should be disappointed, and so should the NRL, i dont know what needs to be done to get more people to the game but they have to look at something soon cause the figures this wkend have been average at best.

Brutus

Referee
Poor crowd at the SFS today.

No excuses.

Disappointing all weekend in Sydney actually considering the hype.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Cumberland Throw said:
Very Very disappointing is a big call, NRL is on track to beat round 1 record,

Round 1 source - rleague.com

2003 Attendance:123,405 Ave:17,629
2004 Attendance:138,304 Ave:19,757
2005 Attendance:159,614 Ave:22,802
2006 Attendance:161,713 Ave:23,101
2007 Attendance:185,051 Ave:23,131
2008 ?
Timmah said:
29,386 @ ANZ
26,974 @ Skilled
25,065 @ ANZ
15,424 @ Brookvale
17,233 @ EAS
31,250 @ Suncorp
18,211 @ SFS

TOTAL: 163,363

AVERAGE (7 games): 23,338

Crowds increasing every year. Great to see.

ByRd

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
Crowds increasing every year. Great to see.
That doesnt look like happenig this year unless the Storm get around 23k but i think they will get about 18k max, hope im proven wrong. And yes Sydney has had terrible attendances all wkend, more needs to be done to people out to the game

c_eagle

Juniors
Brisbane averaged 34k last year, pretty poor crowd there too. Below par everywhere bar the GC, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts