What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Still better than the other years though aren't we? Hardly cause to cry foul.

Timmah

Staff member
its a slight worry that we never kicked on from that as we should have.

It dipped in '06, and has improved in consecutive years since. I don't see it as a worry if we're doing markedly better than we did 10-15 years ago.

Not a single club this year has a home average beneath 11,000... when was the last time that happened? 2000 is your answer, and no other year before or since until now.

bazza

Immortal
I wonder how the Sharks can get 9000 one game(when it's not raining)and 17000 the next.

That shows the lack of season ticket holders/members in rugby league clubs.

Get more people to be season ticket holders and your attendences won't fluctuate so much. If the team starts to struggle or you play against an unfancied team - season ticket holders will still go.

People who buy tickets on the day will find an excuse not to go

I wonder how the Sharks can get 9000 one game(when it's not raining)and 17000 the next.

A. the night game isn't as popular as it was in the shire. people would rather be at northies.
B. it was cold. windy and generally not great to be out when theres f**k all cover at the sharks ground. 1 stand with a roof.
C. warriors. non sydney team...wouldn't draw all that much support.

vs

day game
sunny
sydney team

bazza

Immortal
Its only Queensland bring the average up.

Average crowds for Queensland teams this year and last

Team 2007 2008
Titans: 21,489 22,568
Broncos: 32,868 32,812
Cowboys: 20,105 18,906

So this year we have Titans up by about 1000, Cowboys down by about 1000 and Brisbane the same as last year

So it appears that Queensland teams have not brought the average up at all

Teams that seem to be up from last year are Canberra, Cronulla, Melbourne, Newcastle, Parramatta and Roosters

Still better than the other years though aren't we? Hardly cause to cry foul.

of course not.

i was hoping wed set a new record though with the start weve had.

still hope maybe we can pull it back

crowds on the whole have been good

everyone s hits themselves when saints get 6000 at homebush on a freezing night against a team that arent popular to watch in sydney and had 10 first graders out.

games like tigers / parra at homebush show the potential.

Average crowds for Queensland teams this year and last

Team 2007 2008
Titans: 21,489 22,568
Broncos: 32,868 32,812
Cowboys: 20,105 18,906

So this year we have Titans up by about 1000, Cowboys down by about 1000 and Brisbane the same as last year

So it appears that Queensland teams have not brought the average up at all

Teams that seem to be up from last year are Canberra, Cronulla, Melbourne, Newcastle, Parramatta and Roosters
tbf the titans crowds last year had the 2 blockbusters at suncorp where they got those extra 50,000 fans in total over what carrara holds

take out those 50,000 fans at 13 games and the average at carrara is more like 17,000

Teddyboy

First Grade
A. the night game isn't as popular as it was in the shire. people would rather be at northies.
B. it was cold. windy and generally not great to be out when theres f**k all cover at the sharks ground. 1 stand with a roof.
C. warriors. non sydney team...wouldn't draw all that much support.

vs

day game
sunny
sydney team

Why did the Sharks have real low crowds in the 1980's,was everyone Surfing or taking drugs.

bobmar28

Bench
Despite the glaring inaccuracy of putting those three in the same breath as the QLD Clubs and Newcastle in terms of crowds, you fail to understand the level of support enjoyed by Sydney clubs out of the Sydney. We're the basis of this league, had the strongest comp in Australasia for most of the games history here and as a consequence still have strong supporter bases in other centres. Sydney doesn't have the luxury of drawing on fans like out of Sydney clubs do. There's no way the Broncos are bringing 10,000+ to Sydney venues like Manly, Parra, Canterbury, Saints etc* when they play there.

This doesn't detract from the fact that Sydney clubs have a shocking base which needs to be built on.

I'm simply saying that crowds of 9,000 in an 80,000 seat stadium looks bad on TV, in fact it looks like our game is dying.

You can't have nine teams in the one city with 9,000 turning up to most games week after week. Forget history, this is happening now.

bobmar28

Bench
Out of Sydney club crowds would suffer if they didn't play Sydney clubs too often. Conferencing has the potential to do more harm than good. It's simply a matter of Sydney clubs building a strong foundation.

*Edit* by simply I mean putting in some serious hard yards...

After 100 yrs they need to build a strong foundation?

bobmar28

Bench
It dipped in '06, and has improved in consecutive years since. I don't see it as a worry if we're doing markedly better than we did 10-15 years ago.

Not a single club this year has a home average beneath 11,000... when was the last time that happened? 2000 is your answer, and no other year before or since until now.

Home average 11,000, that's not good enough. The average for QLD clubs is better than Sydney.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
For one plainly obvious reason - QLD has two teams servicing one region (SEQ) and one servicing North Queensland.

Sydney has 8 teams servicing the 200km radius around the city, of course they're going to have smaller crowds as the support is far more divided. Less teams in Sydney initially would've meant bigger crowds, rationalising now won't work but they have to find some sort of solution.

What's most disturbing is that crowds have been more or less around the same mark for the last 5 years and nobody's said much until this year... all of a sudden cynicism is at a great height...

What's most disturbing is that crowds have been more or less around the same mark for the last 5 years and nobody's said much until this year... all of a sudden cynicism is at a great height...

Exactly - it's as though no one noticed crowds before and suddenly if they're not at a freakshow AFL level our game is on the brink of death.

Also, if I hear one more person try to tell me crowds were bigger in the 80s I'll scream... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts