What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanatique

Juniors
Lets not get carried away about only having 10,000 at the Sharks v Newcastle game.
1) The harbour bridge and the CBD and surrounding areas was shut down due to a certain event.
2) There were next to no Newcastle supporters there.
3) getting walloped the previous week did the club no favours.I know of at least 5 people who didnt go because of that.I also know of 2 who attended the event thing.
4)They will crack at least 19,000 aginst Saints.
5) If Penrtih v Parramatta(neighbours) in rl heartland can only get 13-14,000 at parra stadium with no transport worries,I am not jumping off the gap for the sharks crowd .

"The Event Thing"...reminds me of Boris karloff running around transylvania afraid of garlic and crucifixes. Don't worry taipan. you won't be converted by calling 'the event thing' by its name.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Rooster should just upgrade Randwick's ground to a 10000 seater then all be right on the Eastern Surburbs Rugby front.

Lets not get carried away about only having 10,000 at the Sharks v Newcastle game.
1) The harbour bridge and the CBD and surrounding areas was shut down due to a certain event.
2) There were next to no Newcastle supporters there.
3) getting walloped the previous week did the club no favours.I know of at least 5 people who didnt go because of that.I also know of 2 who attended the event thing.
4)They will crack at least 19,000 aginst Saints.
5) If Penrtih v Parramatta(neighbours) in rl heartland can only get 13-14,000 at parra stadium with no transport worries,I am not jumping off the gap for the sharks crowd .

its a poor crowd.

souths managed 22,000 and are much lower on the table and were competing directly with the main WYD celebrations.

its a poor crowd.

souths managed 22,000 and are much lower on the table and were competing directly with the main WYD celebrations.

in the day time.

the day is a big thing.

if the sharks game had been played sunday arvo would have been a better crowd.

i say that the sharks should ask for more day games.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
if they all turn up..

well they wont fit.

fit the remaining 3k in the legues club.

ive got my seat regardless.

:lol:

Your home ground is in your heartland.

St George Illawarra's first home ground is 21km from their heartland (using the M5 & Metroad 3), and their other is outside the city limits.

Given yours is a support base with it's ground on it's doorstep, it's an utter disgrace that the crowd figure only reached 10k on Saturday.

Eels Dude

Coach
'The Event' Had nothing to do with Cronulla's poor crowd. There'd hardly be a Cronulla supporter who didn't live in the shire. For the Sharks to be having such a strong season but to get such a poor crowd is disgraceful.

Your home ground is in your heartland.

St George Illawarra's first home ground is 21km from their heartland (using the M5 & Metroad 3), and their other is outside the city limits.

Given yours is a support base with it's ground on it's doorstep, it's an utter disgrace that the crowd figure only reached 10k on Saturday.

heartland. what about penrith, they're in the f**king "nursery" and get sh*t all crowds as well. i dont care about there average or what ever. look at those reserved seats that arent filled on their home games.

but this is about the sharks so enough about penrith.

it was newcastle. no johns any more. maybe not the drawing appeal they used to be. still, i was entertained but im a die hard. i like a defensive struggle.

others dont. even the people around me werent really watching the game.

you have to consider that the sharks are

Boring
cant put teams away
have the snooze fest of kimmorley's inside passing reigime.l (hahahahah)
all the speed of the pope mobile on the flanks.

and last week, copped a flogging.

we rely on the strangle technique. its not entertaining for your average shire person whos attention span lasts the 3 seconds.

we are getting results yes, and to the people on here they matter. to your fickle half fan who might go before a night out....why see a 2 try a game grind? why spend the money on crap beer in a plastic cup?

we are boring. we used to be entertaining...in 01. the product is no longer as good and is more expensive. this dosnt bode well for your average shire dweller when theres other stuff to do.

im not making excuses for them. i think the crowds were f**king crapola and they should be ashamed. 14k would have been ok. im just explaining why they werent there. maybe.

unless they were all at randwick...

There'd hardly be a Cronulla supporter who didn't live in the shire

i was there.

and yes i agree. poor.

have to do better crowd wise. its partly the clubs fault. i didnt see thing other than at the ground advertising the game.

oldmancraigy

Coach
if they all turn up..

well they wont fit.

fit the remaining 3k in the legues club.

ive got my seat regardless.

No.... my point was to the guy who was saying that the only way Cronulla v St George/ Illawarra gets a good crowd is if all the Dragons fans turn up.

And the point was (wait for it) Cronulla has a better average than the Dragons, so THEY shouldn't be mocking Cronulla for poor crowds...

Timmah

Staff member
Both clubs should be a shamed but at least St George has cause to have such low crowds... a ground 21km away from their Leagues Club for a start...

tbf penrith are the other clubs who have terrible crowds, and theres no excuses there either.

crowds go up in a good season then the minute they have a bad season they lose all the gains again.

if you are looking at the really poor clubs crowd wise, its cronulla, penrith and to a smaller extent the roosters in sydney.

all the rest are having more success than those.

clearly the dogs, souths and tigers are the strong ones.

parra, manly need to do more, as do saints.

Timmah

Staff member
geez. hard to drive 21ks...

or the train. oh my. you sydney folk have it hard.

fire up. get to the game hobbits, gooners etc.

It costs a lot more to drive 21km than it does 2.1km. Return journey makes it 42km as opposed to 4.2km.

Do the math, add to the fact ANZ is a clearly undesirable stadium and there's your issue.

Dragons average will go back up next year IMO, Cronulla will still be fluctuating wildly.

realistically here is what the sydney clubs should be averaging :

1. penrith, parra, saints, cronulla and manly - 15,000 minimum - 20,000
2. easts & tigers - 15,000 - 25,000
3. dogs and souths - 20,000 - 30,000.

the clubs that play at homebush can get some really big gates there that the surburan grounds dont get.

there is no reason why tigers / souths / dogs games played at homebush all cant get 30,000 crowds regularly.

throw parra in there as well when they play the dogs.

many of those games are getting around 20,000 now at Telstra.

as the souhts / roosters, and roosters / dogs games showed, with a bit of marketing and hype in the papers, 30,000 isnt that far off.

given the dogs terrible year so far, their crowds are very impressive

with a winning team again, they should have no problems cracking 20,000 average within a couple of years

bartman

Immortal
Parra will have an absolutely poor crowd this Friday night, a lot of positive forum regulars are estimating below 10,000, which isn't really good enough.

But compared to the Sharks' 10K Saturday night crowd for a meaningful game, there will be a few factors at play:
a) Parra are not running top 4/8, and every club has it's share of fickle fans
b) Parra are playing just as sh*t/non-entertaining footy as Cronulla, and not even getting the results
c) Cowboys won't/can't bring anyone down for a Friday night game
d) It's on free to air two hour delay anyway

Not good enough either way, all Sydney clubs should be looking to a 15K average, going up around 20K if they are performing well etc. Anyone that can't, and has any dubious cash-flow issues etc should really be looking to up stumps or merge in the current climate. Keep a team in VB league or whatever Newtown play, and let the game move on.

I'd hate for it to be Parra, and with the AFL "Assault" (how appropriate?) on Western Sydney I don't think the league can give up anything out there. All eyes on Cronulla, Roosters and maybe Canterbury in the next few years, I'd expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts