What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.
what sort of crowds did canberra pull in the early/mid 90's hey days??

They play spme very entertaining footy right now and a nice day would hopefully see crowds up past 15k.

pre SL up to 20,000

the brumbies crowds are falling and slowly the raiders will get back up there again

Red Bear

Referee
Brissy v Cronulla: 30K
Eels v Cowboys: 11k
Raiders v Titans: 15k
Panthers v WT: 16.5k
Warriors v Storm: 12k
Knights v Rabbits: 24k
Roosters v Sea Eagles: 15k
Dragons v Bulldogs: 14k

Total - 137.5K

Average - 17.2K

DINGb@T

Juniors
Round-by-round-comparison.gif

Running-average.gif

SeasonTotal.gif

Nothing too surprising here. Yes the average has slipped under the 2005 level but that's not a surprise and, based on historical figures for the various home fixtures, it will be a challenge to keep up with 2005's late season increase.

Just on that- next round (20) should be the lowest for the rest of the season, with a flat 14k average unless there's a blowout in the Penrith/Wests derby, with the next lowest being round 22 which looks like getting high 14ks for its average (although Bulldogs vs Cowboys @ Lang could kill off that round completely- based on history they'd get 25k, I very much doubt they'll get that many punters there).

Beyond those two rounds there should be very consistent 15-16ks with round 24 the breakout at about 18.6k if everything happens like it has in the past, and the normal ramp up that could lead to bigger crowds for the last few rounds of the season. If everything does follow that script it will be hard to beat 2005's average, but still possible. At the end of the season we could be looking at beating it by a few hundred maybe and that's if the build up to the finals is consistantly big. A few major surprises and you never know- we may just nail it.

The total-tickets-sold record however is well within grasp. 8 games behind and we're only 40k tickets behind which should see us get over the top of 2007's record but not by a whole heap. Again, if the finals build up kicks in we could blitz it but that's a fairly decent 'if'.

Then again, I am using conservative figures so who knows ;-)

Calixte

First Grade
Put it this way...

NRL crowds are, at worst, steady.

SOO much the same.

And there is the RLWC to pitch in further attendances at the end of the year.

Good year for attendances all things considered...

DINGb@T

Juniors
Put it this way...

NRL crowds are, at worst, steady.

Yeah, that's the thing- at their worst case scenario they're steady. If we get the best case scenario we crash through both the average crowd record as well as the total tickets sold record and then on in to the most financially successful World Cup to happen in who knows when (and it hasn't even started yet). Throw them on top of the record SOO watching figures and we've had a brilliant year.

Problem is it's good solid growth and not the sort of thing that sells papers. Can't really go to the papers and say "this year continues the consistant growth of 3% per annum our code has seen over the past 7 years and it's really starting to add up....."

with the cowboys having a terrible season, along with the dogs, the overall figures arent too bad.

i expect some big crowds from the tigers if they can get a few wins together and souths have been fairly good too.

with parras poor form, that will affect late season crowds there

brad_19

Juniors
I was really dissapointed with tonights crowd, but the current Olympic Park layout isn't conducive to pulling crowds in wet weather. I am a General Admission member, meaning there is no where that I can sit/stand under cover. I had to upgrade my ticket to avoid the absolute pelting that OP recieved tonight. I did so anyway as I didn't want to miss the game, but I can understand why others in my position would have been turned away. Not to mention walking to the ground from the station in driving rain (fair walk). Also, temperature was absolutely freezing, and as others have stated, MNF is never gonna pull the crowds in in droves.

I expected 13kish, but didn't realise the weather was gonna be that bad. Still, shows the fickle nature of sports fans really - a bit of rain and the fans keep away... remember that big wet spell you Sydney guys had last year??

Calixte

First Grade
That hole is a disgrace, Brad.

You blokes are lucky you aren't getting 1000 no matter how well the side is playing.

bartman

Immortal
Parra v Cowboys will be less than 10K, take the tip now...

- traditionally Parra's lowest drawing home game (I think)
- Friday night, and hence on free-to-air (even with a two hour delay)
- poor form and really nothing at stake for either side
- a fair bit of despair among the Eels fan base, quality of footy on display has been a bit dire

And that's before we factor in any effect from poor weather.

brad_19

Juniors
That hole is a disgrace, Brad.

You blokes are lucky you aren't getting 1000 no matter how well the side is playing.

Couldn't agree more mate. This seat I "upgraded" to, had a better view, yes, but such tiny leg room, my knees where smack bang in the seat in front. It is an absolute disgrace of a stadium and by geez, I can't wait till the new stadium is built. I suppose Melbourne fans haven't warranted a rectangular stadium for a long time, but the rising fan base the Melbourne Victory have behind them has helped us out no end!

yakstorm

First Grade
Goes to show though that the Storm only announce the crowd that actually turns up at the venue (unlike some Sydney clubs have been accused of). On Ticketek Insight, over 13,000 tickets had been allocated for the match, again its a shame the rain would have made some people decline going.

brad_19

Juniors
Can I just add to my above comment - Olympic Park does give one thing, and thats a really intimate atmosphere. If were playing in a 1/2 full or 1/4 full stadium week to week, we could lost some of the intimacy that makes the "graveyard" unique. Our supporters probably aren't the most knowlegable for obvious reasons, but we know how to get behind our side. I will be dissapointed if the noise generated at the new stadium is diluted due to empty seats. Having said that, it's still a dump and the quicker the wreckers get in, the better. :)

pcpp

Juniors
My predictions:

Broncos vs Sharks - 35k
Eels v Cowboys - 9K
Raiders v Titans - 13K
Panthers v WT - 15K
Warriors v Storm - 11K
Knights v Rabbits - 17K
Roosters v Sea Eagles - 18K
Dragons v Bulldogs - 12.5K

bartman

Immortal
Can I just add to my above comment - Olympic Park does give one thing, and thats a really intimate atmosphere. If were playing in a 1/2 full or 1/4 full stadium week to week, we could lost some of the intimacy that makes the "graveyard" unique. Our supporters probably aren't the most knowlegable for obvious reasons, but we know how to get behind our side. I will be dissapointed if the noise generated at the new stadium is diluted due to empty seats. Having said that, it's still a dump and the quicker the wreckers get in, the better. :)
The noise sounded good on TV, especially when you realise how small the crowd figure was. Good point Brad.

Perth Red

Post Whore

A well designed four cornered fully covered 30,000 stadium will still create a great atmosphere if ony half full. The roof helps keep the noise in and is part of the reason why the atmosphere at Sl games is so good. It's fans that make the noise and Melbourne has one of the loudest crowds in the NRL.

camsmith

Juniors
Pathetic.

It was our first crowd under 10k for the year. Weather, Monday night etc.. didn't help. Of course I criticise NSW supporters for using the weather as an excuse but it was bad here.

Generally our crowds have been good this season all things (sh*t stadium) considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts