What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-ba

Post Whore
Brutus said:
Sorry I lie, for some reason I had that figure in my head for that game.

It should read: Up from the 29,542 in 2005.

Don't worry, I'm being a dick. they got 33k against them in 2006 :lol:

mattyg

Bench
a bit dissapointing at ANZ today, but it definately appeared to be more than last week against souths. I think heaps of people came in late as all the parking around SOP was sold out.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I was smart enough to ring ahead and find out that SOP Parking was full up all around. Train was the way to go.

A decent crowd, almost exactly what I expected. Should get somewhere above 30k on Friday... hopefully 40k but that's probably pushing it.

The Tank

Bench
Timmah said:
I was smart enough to ring ahead and find out that SOP Parking was full up all around. Train was the way to go.

A decent crowd, almost exactly what I expected. Should get somewhere above 30k on Friday... hopefully 40k but that's probably pushing it.

Please don't make any crowd predictions. I always get my hopes up and I'm let down. So predict 18k and I'll be happy.

BTW, I predict around 20k for Friday ;-)

Timmah

Staff member
20k?

You're aiming ridiculously low.

Any lower than 25k and I'll wear a Sharks avatar for two weeks. THAT is how confident I am.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Although i hate the Bulldogs and like the Roosters i have to say....

The Bulldogs fans are going to and have done their bit for crowds for a while now, so now its up to the Roosters to pull a crowd.

If and this is a big IF the crowd were 50/50 they would pull 40 thousand however im predicting 30.

JW

Coach
Deserves a big crowd of course, but at this stage I think somewhere between 25 and 30K will be a fair result. Probably closer to 25.

Karmawave

Bench
t-ba said:
big claim. I'd like to see the proof.

Really difficult to prove, but as a long time season ticket holder of the Knights, there was no way we had the crowd figures as reported.

The ground is still undergoing renovations, and the actual capacity is less at the moment anyway due to this.

Earlier this year, a complete sell out of a Newcastle Jets soccer game had a listed crowd of 22,000 - and it was packed to the rafters. Not one more person could squeeze in.

The Knights have listed crowds of 17 and 18 in their first two games. One quick look at the television broadcast showed both end bays of the Eastern Grandstand practically empty, and plenty of room on both end hills.

It pains me to say it, but there was no way in the world. In my opinion there was LESS there for the Manly game ( due to the bad weather ) and yet they announced an even bigger figure than the first game :lol:

Having said that, the Broncos game set for a Sunday afternoon in a couple of weeks should be a huge turnout for the club if the weather is kind.

Tom Ace

Bench
mark123 said:
Don't call me an idiot, or fool, or whatever names you have for me roosters supporter.

I am sorry my view clashes with yours.

However, you may want to get out into eastern sydney (or even other parts) and start handing out tickets.

My club got 50,612 to a game this weekend.

If your club is to survive into the future and be capable of being a benifit to RL, then i suggest you work out ways to get your club getting as many people to attend and support them.

You had 100 years to do it, but you have failed. 12K. You are blind. The second least of Sydney teams, just in front of Manly. In a city that everyone knows currently has about 4 too many teams for the amount of people who care enough to pay to see sporting teams play!

Oh dear!!... Hello!!? Want to get back into the habit of helping out the falling perception of rugby league in your city!? Drop off the grapevine....cut the team!

ITS OBVIOUS NOOO OOONEE WILLL MIIIISSSS THEMMMM!!

I feared commenting on your ridiculous dribble because I had a feeling you'd reply with another one of your insane rants.

Seems my fears were well founded.

Knowing that we will be in the league for many years to come makes me laugh, because I know it pains you, and morons like you, so much.

Tom Ace

Bench
Karmawave said:
I think it's being greatly boosted from at least a couple of teams pulling crowd figures out of their ass and adding 4 or 5K to the " official attendance ".

The Knights have been for one. The Roosters crowd this weekend has to be highly questionable. Everyone ( radio/TV who were at the ground also said it was a small crowd ) bar defensive Roosters fans thought their crowd was nowhere near 12,000. I mean if one side ( the broadcast side ) was completely packed ( which it wasn't ) and the other 3 sides of the ground are practically empty - and the capacity of the ground is 44,000 - I just cant see the figure being 12,000 - and nor could radio and television broadcasters at the ground who commented on the announced attendance as being questionable.

It's not like the Roosters have been squeaky clean in recent years in regard to fudging crowd figures.

It's not just them though, I've been to Newcastle games this year, where there was no way the crowd was the official attendance listed.

In the end, crowd figures mean bugger all. The bottom line profits in the clubs will be the true indicator of where our game/clubs are at attendance wise, because an attendance figure that looks good in the paper cannot compensate for the true reality of the situation - the accountants balance sheet at the end of the day.

Clubs can kid themselves all they want, but it comes out in the end in the annual reports.

Care to prove that?

Karmawave

Bench
Yeah mate, really easy to get proof of stuff that happened 10 years ago isn't it.

I'm not trying to pick on any particular team. I am sitting here admitting the Knights - a team I hold season tickets to - are fudging crowd figures right now.

mark123

Juniors
Look, Max Power, you may well do just that. Going by the nrl and RL in general, anything is possible.

What I don't get is that you unveiled a statue of Dally Messenger on THE VERY SAME DAY....lol.....pause for a laugh....AND NO ONE REALLY CARED to turn up for that??

well if that don't show you how much sydney cares about league and its tradition, and the history, then nothing will.

Dally is supposedly (nsw keeps telling us) one of the greatest sportsman in this country's history.....and when you unveil a statue of him at sydney's best ground....no one shows up to mark the occasion.

Some celebration....a questionable crowd....all very dubious.

It just gets worse and worse for the image you are trying to uphold.

Thats pathetic. Have some respect, Sydney...

Timmah

Staff member
You're preaching to the converted Mark - those who frequent these places ARE the committed ones generally, attending the matches and events etc... your voice is getting lost in the crowd. I admire your stance but attacking us isn't going to help...

yakstorm

First Grade
So lets see after 23 matches we have already attracted 450,227 people.

That means we only need a crowd of 5,790 at Brookvale tomorrow to have a match average of 19,000 for the season.

We are also 29,865 ahead of where we were same time last year, so hopefully we can keep this lead going with a big round next week.

RL1908

Bench
mark123 said:
Look, Max Power, you may well do just that. Going by the nrl and RL in general, anything is possible.

What I don't get is that you unveiled a statue of Dally Messenger on THE VERY SAME DAY....lol.....pause for a laugh....AND NO ONE REALLY CARED to turn up for that??

well if that don't show you how much sydney cares about league and its tradition, and the history, then nothing will.

Dally is supposedly (nsw keeps telling us) one of the greatest sportsman in this country's history.....and when you unveil a statue of him at sydney's best ground....no one shows up to mark the occasion.

Some celebration....a questionable crowd....all very dubious.

It just gets worse and worse for the image you are trying to uphold.

Thats pathetic. Have some respect, Sydney...

To be fair...there was no public announcement that the sculpture was being unveiled yesterday, and no one certainly knew who the subject was...so it was never an "event" that was going to attract any additional patrons other than those who received an invitation and/or media.

Status
Not open for further replies.