What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyg

Bench
good to hear about the dogs/eels game. I'm surprised its selling more tix than Souths v Roosters though, i expected that one to be massive! well i guess we'll see come this weekend

t-ba

Post Whore
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
What contractual obligation?

Poor choice of words.

But channel 9 has the double header largely for the purposes of broadcasting a match containinging a Queensland side live into the Sunshine State to maximise ratings. I can think of once that it didn't happen last season (When the Warriors played the Panthers on delay. Can't remember the live match).

t-ba said:
Poor choice of words.

But channel 9 has the double header largely for the purposes of broadcasting a match containinging a Queensland side live into the Sunshine State to maximise ratings. I can think of once that it didn't happen last season (When the Warriors played the Panthers on delay. Can't remember the live match).

I assumed that's what you meant. One has to be careful with one's words on a place like this otherwise people get the wrong idea.

I think it occured more than once during last season, but I can't check right now.

Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
I think it occured more than once during last season, but I can't check right now.

In the rounds where there were two Friday night games, there were five occasions where no Queensland teams played:

Rounds 2, 15, 20, 21, 22.

Quidgybo

Bench
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
In the rounds where there were two Friday night games, there were five occasions where no Queensland teams played:

Rounds 2, 15, 20, 21, 22.
In general you'd have no real argument with not having certain teams featuring beyond round 20 as by then it's becoming quite apparent who is and isn't in finals contention and the interesting matches tend to dictate themselves - even if that does exclude Queensland teams. That said, the current contracted arrangement of progressively pushing out the schedule up to 12 weeks in the middle of the season in practice means we end up with a potential dead(ish) run of matches in the third quarter of the season. Which is exactly what happened last year. As I've said elsewhere, I'd much rather they schedule the first half of season up front and then bring it back in during the third quarter than start off short and then progressively push it out as the season unfolds.

Leigh.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So far in 2008, all FNF allocated show at least one QLD team involved.

Quidgybo

Bench
Timmah said:
So far in 2008, all FNF allocated show at least one QLD team involved.
Just to follow on from my point above, I really don't understand the point of only scheduling the first five rounds up front. It's not like Nein, Fox and the NRL are really going to know much more after this weekends one round of matches than they know now about the relative form of the teams for selecting matches in rounds 6-8. Sure, by the time we get to the second half of the season it'll be important to start getting more selective in choosing matches as by then it'll have become apparent that some matches just aren't going to be very interesting in the race to the finals. But at this stage, everyone is still in contention and no trends have had a chance to become apparent. I see absolutely no value for the game or its broadcasters in delaying a decision for round 6 until only 5 weeks beforehand yet schedule rounds later in the year up to 12 weeks in advance potentially leaving the game with a dead run of showcase games just as things are getting interesting. Why not schedule the first 12 rounds entirely up front back in December the same as the rounds 1-5 and then bring it back in to six weeks for the second half of the year and even back to only one or two weeks coming into the final round?

Leigh.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Quidgybo said:
Just to follow on from my point above, I really don't understand the point of only scheduling the first five rounds up front. It's not like Nein, Fox and the NRL are really going to know much more after this weekends one round of matches than they know now about the relative form of the teams for selecting matches in rounds 6-8. Sure, by the time we get to the second half of the season it'll be important to start getting more selective in choosing matches as by then it'll have become apparent that some matches just aren't going to be very interesting in the race to the finals. But at this stage, everyone is still in contention and no trends have had a chance to become apparent. I see absolutely no value for the game or its broadcasters in delaying a decison for round 6 until only 5 weeks beforehand yet delay take a decision on rounds later in the year up to 12 weeks in advance potentially leaving the game with a dead run of showcase games just as things are getting interesting. Why not schedule the first 12 rounds entirely up front back in December the same as the rounds 1-5 and then bring it back in to six weeks for the second half of the year and even back to only one or two weeks coming into the final round?

Leigh.

I agree with that, in the last few years how many of us have known who would make the top 8 let alone who the top sides would be after 5 rounds.

Opening 8 rounds should be already penciled in.

Quidgybo

Bench
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
Are you suggesting we start with 13 rounds known at the beginning and then add another round every two weeks?

NB: The numbers I've used are only are only meant to be indicative.
There are lots of ways we could structure it but as an example, yes schedule the first 13 rounds up front in December. But then instead of scheduling matches after round 1 or round 2 don't schedule anything else until after round 8. By that stage it has become apparent who the leading teams are and who is falling off the pace. From Round 8 schedule one additional round every week (ie. 5 weeks in advance) out to round 23. And then for the last 3 rounds bring it right back in to only one or two weeks in advance so that the deciding matches for the finals race can be showcased.

Ideally I'd actually go a bit further and schedule the first sixteen rounds up front (ie. 16 teams, 16 rounds) and guarantee each team certain amounts of free to air coverage. After round 16 it comes back entirely to form and the broadcasters choice. But in the first sixteen rounds, with three FTA matches each week there are 64 Friday night slots for teams and 32 Sunday slots. So we could guarantee every team at least 2 Friday night appearances (including at least one home game), and one Sunday afternoon appearance while still leaving Nein and Fox plenty of choice in which games they want.

And by working this all out in December you allow almost two thirds of the season to be locked down in advance. IMO the biggest benefit would be for the middle of the season. Instead of only five or six weeks, we'd have almost six months to market matches in the middle of season where traditionally the lowest attendances are recorded as the buzz of the opening rounds has worn off, winter starts to bite, Origin overshadows the premiership and the race to the finals hasn't really cranked up yet. So basically, I'd schedule each round at the following times...

1 - December
2 - December
3 - December
4 - December
5 - December
6 - December
7 - December
8 - December
9 - December
10 - December
11 - December
12 - December
13 - December
14 - December
15 - December
16 - December
17 - After Round 12
18 - After Round 13
19 - After Round 14
20 - After Round 15
21 - After Round 16
22 - After Round 17
23 - After Round 18
24 - After Round 21
25 - After Round 23
26 - After Round 25

Leigh.

Timmah

Staff member
That's almost impossible due to the need to have venues booked much further ahead than one or two weeks.

Quidgybo

Bench
Timmah said:
That's almost impossible due to the need to have venues booked much further ahead than one or two weeks.
Rubbish. We already do that for the first, second and third weeks of the finals. The vast majority of clubs already have first refusal on their venues and we know exactly which venues will be affected in each of the two weeks literally 10 months in advance (unlike the finals venues which aren't locked in at all until the previous Sunday night). So I really don't see how putting venues on notice for the last two rounds of the season in addition to their existing stand by for finals matches is really that big a problem.

Leigh.

eels_fan_01

Bench
-Opening 8 rounds in by December.

-Next 5 rounds after round 8 to be announced in round 3.

-Then the norm after that.

Timmah

Staff member
Quidgybo said:
Rubbish. We already do that for the first, second and third weeks of the finals. The vast majority of clubs already have first refusal on their venues and we know exactly which venues will be affected in each of the two weeks literally 10 months in advance (unlike the finals venues which aren't locked in at all until the previous Sunday night). So I really don't see how putting venues on notice for the last two rounds of the season in addition to their existing stand by for finals matches is really that big a problem.

Leigh.

What about fans of interstate teams or the Warriors who might want to plan ahead? It would be cutting it a bit fine for a lot of fans.

Quidgybo

Bench
eels_fan_01 said:
-Opening 8 rounds in by December.

-Next 5 rounds after round 8 to be announced in round 3.
But really, what is even three rounds going to tell you about form for the season? We're all familiar with wonder teams of the first four rounds that then go on to a string of thrashings and miss the 8 by a long way. Why not go a bit farther, schedule 13 rounds up front and then give yourself *until* round 8 before committing to anything else? There's a lot fewer teams that will manage to maintain form across 8 rounds and then turn into pretenders than there are after only three or four rounds.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
Timmah said:
What about fans of interstate teams or the Warriors who might want to plan ahead? It would be cutting it a bit fine for a lot of fans.
Well it'd be wonderful to be able to schedule all 26 rounds up front but in the real world it ain't going to happen. Giving broadcasters more freedom late in the season would be what we're willing to give up to get more certainty early in the season. At the end of the day it's only two rounds at a stage of the year when attendance figures will pretty much look after themselves even with a hit to away numbers. And for that we could get the first half to two thirds of the season locked in months in advance and dramatically help attendances during the part of the season that needs the most help. Think what that certainty will do for the numbers of traveling fans to the first seven of eight home games for each team instead of what it does to just the last game.

Leigh.

Knight87

Juniors
I thought that a Queensland team didn't necessarily have to play on a Friday Night. Dunno what contractual obligation you're talking about.

Quidgybo

Bench
Knight87 said:
I thought that a Queensland team didn't necessarily have to play on a Friday Night. Dunno what contractual obligation you're talking about.
The contractual obligation to allow Nein to choose which two matches they wish to show on Friday nights. That obligation exists ostensibly so that Nein can have at least one match that rates well in Sydney and at least one match that rates well in Brisbane - by far their two biggest markets. Hence why one of the matches usually features at least one Queensland side and why the Broncos feature more often than the other Queensland teams.

Leigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.