What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Knight007 suggested the only reason we had such a good average was the Roosters game. Another of our games was a very good club game crowd of 21,000 against the Tigers. Our lowest crowd, 14.7k last week, is better than four or five clubs' averages.

Red Bear

Referee
low-mid 20's? Would you say that is a dissapointing crowd, for the ANZAC clash? With proper promotion etc., what realistically do you think the attendance should be?
i know the crowds have been somehting like

2004 - 26 000
2005 - 31 000
2006 - 32 000
2007 - 18 500

the drop off last year was because it was pooring all day and the two clubs had a combined total of about 1 win at round 7.

I think we could've gotten close to 30 000 at the SFS today tho. I think this game has to be marketed better than it is, as is seen by the crowd numbers particularly 2004 - 2006 it has the potential to be similar to essendon v collingwood in the AFL where we could get 35 000 - a full house at the SFS (which would be an unreal atmosphere).

Knight87

Juniors
yeah, I agree with Red Bear. If the game was properly promoted as the marquee 'annual fixture' that it is, like the Collingwood vs Essendon ANZAC clash, on a good day at the Sydney Football Stadium (capacity is about 42,000, of which 7,000 tickets are for SCG/SFS trust members, so only 35,000 tickets go to sale for the general public. So, 35,000 crowd would technically be classified as a sellout) , there's no reason why this fixture cannot obtain an absolute minimum of 35,000 people. And yes, the atmosphere would be great. I went to the A-League grand final at the SFS earlier this year, and there was just over 36,000 ppl. The atmosphere was terrific and it was very loud as well.

Red Bear

Referee
i think sfs capacity is actually closer to 45 000 now after some extra seats were added in the 2206/07 off season

Brutus

Referee
The Anzac Day clash is dying in the arse in terms of crowds.

It's a shame it can't draw a big crowd regardless of where the sides are on the ladder.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It drew 3,000 more people than last year after a week of rain and being moved 20-30k west of it's normal venue.

If that's dying in the ass then you need your head read.

mark123

Juniors
34k is a good crowd in brisbane against a team who have not won a game.

But the sydney one is pathetic.

21k? What a joke. Something is rotten down there.

so eastern sea board anzac day crowds for the 3 capital cities are 34k brisbane ...21k sydney ...89k melbourne....

Shame sydney shame.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Broncos crowd is 7k up on the game vs Souths last year. Public Holliday of course... but good news nonetheless.
Begs the question, is it worth building up a traditional clash in Qld and NSW, or is it best to stick to just NSW?

Red Bear

Referee
34k is a good crowd in brisbane against a team who have not won a game.

But the sydney one is pathetic.

21k? What a joke. Something is rotten down there.

so eastern sea board anzac day crowds for the 3 capital cities are 34k brisbane ...21k sydney ...89k melbourne....

Shame sydney shame.
people dont like going to a sh*thouse ground when it could quite easily be at an excellent ground.
anz stadium does not work.

Brutus

Referee
It drew 3,000 more people than last year after a week of rain and being moved 20-30k west of it's normal venue.

If that's dying in the ass then you need your head read.

Face it dude, it's gone backwards.

From 32k a few years ago to the 20k fare it seems to be getting now, it's just not growing!

18k last year was a joke.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Aside from being wanky federation clubs, why is it Souths and Sydney are chosen to 'represent' ANZAC Day every year? Surely crowds who can't count their fanbase in figures under six digits shouldn't be gifted the lucrative public holiday slot when Brisbane, Gold Coast, or even New Zealand would draw a far better crowd.

yakstorm

First Grade
Souths weren't picked by the NRL to represent ANZAC Day this year, it was just Channel 9's choice about 6 weeks back when they thought the NABbitohs would be a lot higher up the ladder.

Honestly I think Queensland should have a regular ANZAC Day game, not just when ANZAC Day falls on Fridays or Sundays and I think the match should be Broncos v Warriors.

Promoted to the same level of Dragons v Roosters, the game would get 40K+

Red Bear

Referee
Souths weren't picked by the NRL to represent ANZAC Day this year, it was just Channel 9's choice about 6 weeks back when they thought the NABbitohs would be a lot higher up the ladder.

Honestly I think Queensland should have a regular ANZAC Day game, not just when ANZAC Day falls on Fridays or Sundays and I think the match should be Broncos v Warriors.

ie, not promoted?

fanatique

Juniors
So, youre happy with the 21,596 turnout? How many do you think would've went if it was at the SFS?

Probably more or less the same. If you're going to the game you're going to the game.

Lots of nonsense talked about venues. Crowds at Homebush stand up beside crowds at SFS.....Why? Because if you're going to the game you're going to the game.

Honestly we are world champion excuse makers. 21,000 went because that is the number of people who wanted to go.

Moffo

Referee

what promotion was that exactly? take your blinkers off

miccle

Bench
Great work again in Brisbane - especially to the THOUSANDS of Souths supporters who streamed in and got behind their team after a shocking start to the season. Admirable stuff!

Our season average goal of 35k is on track so far...

flamin

Juniors
Its shameful that down here in Wollongong we are bombarded with advertising for when the Swans play at ANZ but there is not one piece of marketing for when the Dragons - supposedly the local team - are playing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts