What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Brisbane Broncos Signings

Broncos93

Juniors
I've got to agree, Clinton needs to stand up or someone else come and take his 275k. It seems like Nick Kenny is the one holding our front row together now Taylor is gone. Clinton was playing well back in the Penrith Premiership days, but it seems like Penrith were right in trading him for Petero. Not saying he's crap, I'm saying he needs to find the form that got him the front row jersey for Australia, otherwise he'll be replaced by others and become the highest payed Queensland Cup player, ahead of PJ Marsh.

DeeJ

Bench
Have you guys all got short memories or something? Clinton has been our standout prop forward all year. Apparently him getting injured and then our winning streak at the end of the year makes him forgotten. He was running the ball hard and bending team's defensive lines back up the middle, unlike Kenny who tries hard always but tends to get dominated or Taylor who is making all his meters out wide. Let's not forget Clinton was the only Bronco in the middle of our losing period who didn't miss a single tackle.

He will be starting prop next year and I hope he stays clear of injury.

Smiley

Bench
So Hunt won't be returning to Norths??

He can still play next season in NYC but he must spend the whole year in QLD Cup surely?

I've heard that Nat Bowman might not return to Comets so maybe Hunt will play for them.

6. PJ Marsh
7. Ben Hunt

Seagullsrock

Juniors
So Hunt won't be returning to Norths??

He can still play next season in NYC but he must spend the whole year in QLD Cup surely?

I've heard that Nat Bowman might not return to Comets so maybe Hunt will play for them.

6. PJ Marsh
7. Ben Hunt

Yes Hunt will be most likely be playing for the Devils. I believe they have also bought Jacob Fauid from Burleigh so decent halves combo.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Jason Cayless would be a welcomed signing. Yes he is getting on in age though he has 2-3 good years left him after a stint in the weaker Super League competition. His leadership and experience would be most welcomed not to mention his wreckless style of play up front.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
I have massive ?????????????????? marks about any signing of Cayless. Aging, injury prone and probably expensive, I know we're thin on the ground for frontrowers but I just can't see this fella being the answer. NRL is not UK Super League and my memories are of Willie Mason and Omeley bashing him. The wait will be a long and painful one but I hope we go for a younger bull in their prime. This smells of panic from the whole "TAYLOR DEBACLE".

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I have massive ?????????????????? marks about any signing of Cayless. Aging, injury prone and probably expensive, I know we're thin on the ground for frontrowers but I just can't see this fella being the answer. NRL is not UK Super League and my memories are of Willie Mason and Omeley bashing him. The wait will be a long and painful one but I hope we go for a younger bull in their prime. This smells of panic from the whole "TAYLOR DEBACLE".

TBH front rowers aren't in their prime until they are around Cayless' age.

Also, a few examples would be nice...

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Only my opinion and I'm not about to say I am aware of their contractual availabilitiy but I am thinking along the lines of....................................

1. Adam Blair (no real secret and definite NO 1 draft pick !)
2. Luke Douglas Sharks fame
3. Rapira of the Cowboys
4. Recapture of big Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
5. I'm quite a fan of Mick Henderson (Titans)

I pray Taylor returns home but I believe all of the above are younger, fitter and would prove better value than Cayless, Jason has hardly troubled the scorers in the last two years at the Saints and had quite a chequered injury history at the Chooks if my memory serves me well. If we are looking at props maturing at 30 why didn't we just keep bloody Petero cause he'd carve the lot of 'em.
PATIENCE and get Blair pretty please Bruno.

Big Pete

Referee
Courier Mail said:
Henjak plots fairytale finish for Petero Civoniceva
Matt Marshall | October 09, 2009 12:00am

WELCOME sight ... Petero Civoniceva back in a Broncos uniform would please Brisbane fans. / The Courier-Mail
PETERO Civoniceva has whet the appetite of Broncos fans by admitting a fairytale return home to the glamour club in 2011 would appeal to him.
Speaking ahead of this month's Four Nations Tour, the Kangaroos veteran has given his strongest hint yet that a prodigal son-style cameo in Brisbane could be on the cards.
But the 33-year-old Penrith captain remains heavily committed to the third and final year of his current deal at the Panthers.
And he says extending his stay at Penrith beyond 2010 also remains a viable possibility.
It is believed Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak is plotting to bring the seasoned Australian prop, a veteran of 36 Tests, back home after next season.
A return to Red Hill, after a bitter contract dispute and subsequent exit in 2007, would prove a popular one.
Civoniceva was a much-loved Broncos figure, playing 215 games and scooping three best and fairest awards over 10 seasons of first grade at the club.
"I'm committed to Penrith next year and after that, I'm not sure - we'll have to wait and see," Civoniceva said. "Nothing beats being at home too so we'll wait and see what arises.
"If they (Broncos) approached us, we'd definitely sit down and see what we can do.
"But we'll see what Penrith have to say too - the club's been great to me. I'm happy down there. Bonnie (wife) and the kids fit in really well. It's a good community, and it's a great club. I can only see the club going up."
Civoniceva, who claimed back-to-back Broncos Player of the Year awards in 2006-07 before his move south, in addition to his 2004 win, has relished his stint at Penrith.
The Australian and Queensland veteran, who returned home to Redcliffe after yesterday's Kangaroos medical in Sydney, has found new energy in his old legs.
"I have enjoyed it down in Sydney and I definitely have no regrets," he said. "It's unfortunate how it all played out but I've relished the opportunity at the Panthers.
"It's been good for me, a change of scenery, and the captaincy has pushed me to get more out of my game."
Sidelined since Origin II in late June, his first major injury since a broken arm in 2000, Civoniceva says he feels fortunate to be selected on the European tour.
He will lead a new-look Roos engine-room that includes first-time tourists Ben Hannant, David Shillington and Brett White.
"I'm grateful for the opportunity, I missed so much of the year I doubted whether I'd be up for selection," he said. "I'm looking forward to the senior role. I've been fortunate to be part of the team for a while but your first tour is such an exciting time."
Hot debate has raged over the scant representation of top-three teams the Dragons, Bulldogs and Titans. But Civoniceva said the 11th placed Panthers deserved to have four on the tour - Michael Jennings, Luke Lewis and Trent Waterhouse also were picked.

Source: Courier Mail

DeeJ

Bench
If only Penrith didn't activate his 3rd year option or we made an offer earlier, he could have been back playing for us next season.

Let's hope he does come back in 2011.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Only my opinion and I'm not about to say I am aware of their contractual availabilitiy but I am thinking along the lines of....................................

1. Adam Blair (no real secret and definite NO 1 draft pick !)
2. Luke Douglas Sharks fame
3. Rapira of the Cowboys
4. Recapture of big Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
5. I'm quite a fan of Mick Henderson (Titans)

I pray Taylor returns home but I believe all of the above are younger, fitter and would prove better value than Cayless, Jason has hardly troubled the scorers in the last two years at the Saints and had quite a chequered injury history at the Chooks if my memory serves me well. If we are looking at props maturing at 30 why didn't we just keep bloody Petero cause he'd carve the lot of 'em.
PATIENCE and get Blair pretty please Bruno.

You can't just sign any player you realise.

Current Contracts:
1.Adam Blair: 2011
Also I see Blair as a second rower more than a front rower. It's like playing Thaiday in the front row IMO. Doubt he would leave anyway.
2.Luke Douglas: Unkown
Would be fantastic. Sharks wont let him go though.
3.Steve Rapira: 2010 I think.
Wants to live in Brissy also I heard so he could be worth a look at. Too small to play in the front row atm, more of a back rower.
4.TLL: Just re-signed untill 2011 a few months ago
5.Mick Henderson: 2012