What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Draw - click here

ozjet1

well, once again we have to endure 26 rounds of boring sh*te just so the networks can have product to air.

season needs to be reduced..........less games = each game is more important = bigger crowds attending matches. it aint rocket science.

This Year?

Immortal
I thought the premiers chose who they play in round one, so how can a draw be released before the grand final?

flamin

Juniors
Forgive me if I don't agree. The ARL and CRL are responsible for those fixtures and would've agreed to it. Their problem, not the NRL's.
CRL bosses requested that City Vs Country be played on the Sunday of the weekend as a stand alone game.

paulyt

Juniors
I would say that the City V Country an Test are on the same night so Cahnnel 9 can keep up with it's 2 game on Friday night. My theory is they will show the Test live and city v Country delayed.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I guess we'll have to wait and hear from the Sharks on that one...
http://www.sharks.com.au/index.php?...=1024&tx_ttnews[backPid]=432&cHash=4709cb66d7

SHARKS TO PLAY IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA

03.10.08 09:46 Age: 55 min
The Sharks have announced at a press conference conducted on Friday morning at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide that they will play one Telstra Premiership home game in each of the next three seasons in South Australia.

Sharks and Australian coach Ricky Stuart, club CEO Tony Zappia, South Australian Minister for Sport and Recreation Michael Wright and SA Rugby League officials came together today in the ‘Rugby Bar’ at Hindmarsh Stadium to make the announcement.

In addressing the South Australian media Mr Zappia said the club was pleased to be able to bring elite level rugby league back to South Australia and to be playing a role in fostering the game in that state.

"We’re certainly excited about making Adelaide a second home," Mr Zappia said. "It is a real opportunity for fans in South Australia to show their support for rugby league by voting with their feet."

"I am sure Hindmarsh Stadium will showcase both our club and the sport in a positive way to many South Australians, while at the same time the games are sure to attract plenty of interest and numerous interstate visitors."

The first match in the three-year arrangement will see the Sharks take on the North Queensland Cowboys in round six of the 2009 NRL Premiership, a game to be played on the weekend of April 17-20.

In joining Stuart and Zappia at the media conference, Minister Wright also spoke positively about South Australia hosting the Sharks for the next three seasons.

"The State Government is delighted to have secured this arrangement with the Sharks, which is a great opportunity for South Australian sporting fans to see the NRL first hand," Minister Wright said.

"Not only will this be a massive boost for South Australian rugby league fans, it will also show off Adelaide’s world-class Hindmarsh Stadium to a broader sporting audience."

South Australian Rugby League chairman Mark Siaosi said the Sharks playing Telstra Premiership matches at Hindmarsh Stadium will lift the profile of the game in South Australia.

"It will greatly assist local clubs in their endeavours to provide players of all ages with the opportunity to play the sport of rugby league," Mr Siaosi said. "With Channel 9 this year having a direct telecast of State of Origin and the NRL Grand Final, school boys playing in South Australian competitions have seen the game at the elite level – and now they will get the opportunity to see it live at Hindmarsh.

"By committing to three years, the Sharks have proven their desire to help foster the development of the game in South Australia.

As a part of the arrangement the Sharks have also committed to working with SA Rugby League’s Development Unit to conduct coaching clinics and visit local schools.

"NRL coming to Adelaide will be a great shot in the arm for the game in South Australia and the local competition will no doubt begin 2009 with great enthusiasm," Mr Siaosi added.

flamin

Juniors
Yesterdays DT pg 99.

Also this:
http://orange.yourguide.com.au/news...scheduling-main-rival-to-fixture/1324420.aspx

THE Test match between Australia and New Zealand next May will clash with the annual City versus Country game but Country Rugby League vice president Paul Rossiter doesn’t think the scheduling will detract from the regional spectacle.
Both games will be held on Friday, May 8 after the NRL announced their draw for the 2009 season on Wednesday.
And while Rossiter would have preferred both matches to stand alone on different days, he is hopeful the trans-Tasman test will not take away from the annual bush-against-the-big-smoke representative match. “We probably would have preferred one to be on Friday and one on Saturday or Sunday, but that’s up to the powers that be,” Rossiter said.

Yes the CRL are walkovers but that doesnt mean the NRL dont hold responsibility.
Regardless my main gripe is that this should have been a full club bye round and the current set up made by the NRL is woeful for all concerned.

Noa

First Grade
Round 2 the best center battle since Souths magpies used to battle Wynum-Manly in the 80's.

Inglis v Folau, cant wait.

DINGb@T

Juniors
First two Brisbane rounds- I'm a Titans fan but if I can (ie no Titans game on) I'll be trying to get to Suncorp.

ByRd

First Grade
Rnd 1 ANZ Stadium:

The Wooden Spooners v The Premiers hahaha

BRING IT ON!!! great way to start the year for us, big challenge.

Rnd 1 ANZ Stadium:

The Wooden Spooners v The Premiers hahaha

BRING IT ON!!! great way to start the year for us, big challenge.
Way to kick a dog when they are down,so to speak.Should be good,plenty of new Doggy faces wanting to stick it to the premiers.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I reckon anything under 30,000 would be a travesty...

ByRd

First Grade
I reckon anything under 30,000 would be a travesty...
I agree, with Manly being premiers hopefully quiet a few of there fans make the trip to ANZ, Bulldog fans will be there as it is a "fresh" start for the club, this game most likely will be on a Friday night so it should get over 30k, but well wait and see.

Latest posts