What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Jerseys/Playing Strips, Sponsors, Logos etc

red-alternate-jersey-200-x-.jpg

we must have the old illawarra strip as our away/alternate.
If Adidas made Illawarra's jerseys 10 years ago, it would probably look like this one or like the one we had a few years ago which was all red with the 3 Adidas stripes from the neckline to the base of the sleeves.

BWNB

First Grade
Does anyone know why the Warriors used the strip they were in against Melbourne in the trial last week if they aren't going to use it?
It looked pretty good.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
'Twas a training shirt as I imagine their playing strips aren't yet finalised. The Bulldogs did the same last year for their two trials.

BWNB

First Grade
'Twas a training shirt as I imagine their playing strips aren't yet finalised. The Bulldogs did the same last year for their two trials.

Ah thanks, IMO it should be their full time strip, the Warriors do come up with some pretty good jerseys.

Nuke

Staff member
That Melbourne 'heritage' jersey was crap the first time around (and that was only a matter of a few years ago) ... and it certainly hasn't improved with age. I have to say though, it is better than their alternate jersey that followed it (the white one with the stupid lightning bolt down the front), and it's about on par with their current alternate jersey. Melbourne did have one good looking alternate jersey once. I think it was the one before this purple one. It had a white body, with the same design on the chest (the 'V' with the lightning bolts) as their main jersey. This isn't the best pic of it, but it's the best I can find at the moment.

rhs_marcusbai,0.jpg

macavity

Referee
That Melbourne 'heritage' jersey was crap the first time around (and that was only a matter of a few years ago) ... and it certainly hasn't improved with age. I have to say though, it is better than their alternate jersey that followed it (the white one with the stupid lightning bolt down the front), and it's about on par with their current alternate jersey. Melbourne did have one good looking alternate jersey once. I think it was the one before this purple one. It had a white body, with the same design on the chest (the 'V' with the lightning bolts) as their main jersey. This isn't the best pic of it, but it's the best I can find at the moment.

rhs_marcusbai,0.jpg

yellow one was better.

Nuke

Staff member
Each to their own I guess. I prefer the one I posted, but that's just me.

Smiley

Bench
Broncos Join With Sportingbet

The WOW Brisbane Broncos have announced that betting agency Sportingbet Australia will join the club’s stable of sponsors.

The Northern Territory-based firm has come on board for the 2009 season as a major sponsor.

Broncos’ chief executive Bruno Cullen welcomed Sportingbet to the club as they join an illustrious group of sponsors.

“We are very happy to have Sportingbet join us as a new sponsor, particularly in this difficult financial time for every business,” said Cullen.

“There has been some conjecture over this type of sponsorship and it is a sensitive area.

“But I want to underline that the Broncos and Sportingbet have kept this deal very simple.

“This is a straight sponsorship agreement between two businesses that is being driven by brand affiliation.

“There is no revenue sharing or the like.

“This is purely about two strong sporting brands in Australia allying for a shared marketing purpose.”

Sportingbet Australia chief executive Michael Sullivan said the company – an NRL-approved sports betting operator - was excited to enter a sponsorship deal with the Broncos.

“We have always wanted to put money back into the sports we bet on and this is another great opportunity to do so,” said Sullivan.

“We are delighted to join the Broncos as a major sponsor as they are a great organisation on and off the field, and will be right in the mix again come September.

“The Broncos are a club with a great tradition and we look forward to a long and fruitful relationship with them.”
Sportingbet’s deal with the Broncos is an exclusive one with Brisbane the only NRL club to have an agreement with the betting agency.

link

nqcowboy87

Bench
Saw the Storm jersey on sale the other day, looks like the logo has been lowered,
it has slightly it doesnt look that bad

rhs_marcusbai,0.jpg
they stopped wearing that one at the end of the 04 season

LESStar58

Referee
LMel9-Jer-Heritage-4.jpg

I do not like this jersey at all. Why we can't just use the 98 strip we used last year is beyond me...

Nuke

Staff member
I wouldn't buy one either if I was a Melbourne supporter. Not only for the reasons mentioned above, but also because they were only using it a few years ago. If I had've liked it enough then, I would've already had one.

I'll use Newcastle as my example here, as they're my team. If in a couple of years time, Newcastle decided to use their alternate jersey from a couple of years ago (the mainly red one with the blue collar and blue horizontal lines down the sides) as a heritage jersey, I wouldn't buy it. I already have one that'd only be a few years old.

Admittedly, Melbourne are kinda stuck for choice as they've only made minor alterations to their main jersey over the years so it limits their options. I don't think that is a bad thing mind you. I like teams having a main jersey that remains the same or similar - like Souths red and green horizontal striped jersey, St.George/St.George-Illawarra's red 'V' jersey, ect. I would love to see teams keeping one jersey design (even if only the main jersey ... let them keep changing the alternate jersey every 2-3 years if they want) for years upon years. I don't like comparing anything to AFL, but one thing I notice when I see a photo or a brief snippet on tv of them playing their sh*t sport, is that from the days when I actually liked it (some 15 years ago), their jerseys/singlets don't seem to have changed much at all. I don't remember who most of them are, and there are some I don't think look familiar, but for the most part, they look like the same designs they had 15years ago and beyond.

Timmah

Staff member
:fist: stole my thunder!

Here's some pics from all the trials... Warriors still wore those training shirts yesterday, full playing jerseys mustn't be ready...

Manly v Harlequins:
84973430.jpg

Roosters v Tigers

84965055.jpg

84964983.jpg

Broncos v Raiders

84959229.jpg

Timmah

Staff member
Dragons v Bulldogs

84959149.jpg