What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Jerseys/Playing Strips, Sponsors, Logos etc

Nuke

Staff member
The cynic in me would suggest they're positioning the sponsors so they can add a second one underneath it within a couple of years. :evil:

Mate, I hope you're wrong. I really hope you're wrong.
Personally, if they were to add more space for sponsors logos, I'd say they'd follow the ESL style of having little ones up near the collar (see photo below as an example). I was going to say on the collars themselves, but there aren't too many jerseys these days with actual collars.

Here's that example I mentioned:
_42981343_super_league_416.jpg

Actually, I just noticed as I was about to post this that this pic shows both ideas I mentioned. The St.Helens jersey (sans-collar) has a sponsors logo -earth- near the neck, while the Warrington jersey has the logo on the collar instead (as they do indeed have a collar in this photo).

Nuke

Staff member
imo that Warriors heritage jersey is terrible, the point of them is some sort of connection to the past of the club/area, and that is a pretty woeful attempt at the old Auckland strip

The Warriors 2009 'heritage' jersey itself looks alright (in my opinion anyway), but yes, I agree 100% with you in regards to it being wrong to have it as a heritage jersey when there's nothing heritage about it. Brisbane did this a few years ago when they came up with that canary yellow one (for when they returned to Suncorp Stadium and a few times since). Wests Tigers did this last year for both their Balmain and Western Suburbs heritage design jerseys.

In my opinion, the Warriors heritage design should be either the original Auckland Warriors 'DB Bitter' design, or the Auckland regional jersey (the one they wore in 2007 for one or two games).

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
It is a disturbing trend I'm noticing with teams' jerseys. Have a look at Melbourne's 2009 jerseys. Their MembersEquity sponsor logo is nearly touching their necks. Okay, so that's a slight exaggeration, but it's still far too high.

You are correct sponsors have noticed that the best exposure is on the chest of the players, so they are mm by mm moving their logos up.

As you can see below a lowly positioned jersey sponsor on stomach is likely to be obscured.

Melbournes jersey looks terrible though, it fells like the players are being strangled by the ME logo...

1999_mackay_1a.jpg

LeagueNut

First Grade
^^ Those bloody Vodafone symbols get bigger every year, I'm sure of it. :x

The 'V' design on the Warriors heritage jersey looks like it is supposed to resemble the eyebrow part of the warrior logo. The Loadlift logo is in the style of font that the DB Bitter logo was in in 1995.
Good pickup on the Loadlift logo ... I think it's just a coincidence though.

Iafeta

Referee
Did some exec get loose with a tin of British Paint "Off white" under the neck of the jersey? Not the best look...

Nuke

Staff member
Those Warriors jerseys look apalling. If I was a NZ Warriors fan, I'd be pretty pissed off that they're stuck with that design for 3 years at least. CCC have lost their marbles in recent years. In their quest to find a brand trademark (like Adidas have with their penchant for having 3 parallel lines on their clothing / products), they have just destroyed some teams' looks. Worst thing is, some dickheads choose these designs and sign off on them.

I really dislike the crooked collar thing, and the spiderweb bodylines crap. It's so unnecessary and stupid in my opinion.

They [the Warriors] should have suggested that the home and away jersey be like the heritage with the variation of the actual backing colour. The design of the home and away jerseys is not the best ive seen.

it's only compromised cos the nrl lets them do block sponsorships. if they didnt allow it then it's going to be you either get on board or f**k off. do other proffessional sports have block sponsorships like the NRL? (not counting crap like cycling and racing which are just walking billboards).

i dont really follow other sports so have no idea, but i dont think a lot of US sports like NHL or the NBA have sponsorships at all on their jerseys? but i'd assume the teams still ahve sponsors who pay a lot of money for that priviliedge

You would be right. The american market is huge for different types of sponsership though. To be a viable team your looking at bringing in about 30-40mil a year + 100K minimum a home game (41 home games.) making the use for sponserships a absoloute premium. Merchandise would be a massive part of were they biggest amount of their revenue is made however.

drake

First Grade
Wow, those warriors jerseys leave no mistake who sponsors them, do they?

I look at them and "VODAPHONE!!!!" eats my brain.

I think we should just call 'em the phones from now on. And would News and the sponsors be happy.

"Todays match up; St George Bank vs Vodaphone!"

That happens, we should tell the Israelis that the NRL headquarters is a Palestinian school and say goodbye to the whole mess.