What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010+11 Jerseys, Logos & Sponsors

hellteam

First Grade
Everyone was complaining about the shorts, so I photoshopped what the jerseys would look like...

00004891image.jpg

Awesome work, so much better. You should send that to the club or something

Tom Shines

First Grade
Storm jersey is a big steaming pile of fail.

Looks like a rash shirt I would have been beat up for wearing when I was ten...

I know Souffs have had the odd stinker (that black thing from 2006 for starters), but I'm glad we make very few cosmetic changes the strip.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Storm jersey is a big steaming pile of fail.

Looks like a rash shirt I would have been beat up for wearing when I was ten...

I know Souffs have had the odd stinker (that black thing from 2006 for starters), but I'm glad we make very few cosmetic changes the strip.
That black thing is still their Toyota away strip isn't it?

Evenflow

Bench
Wow, that Storm jersey is f**king horrible. Why would they ditch a classic design _and_ add more colour to the sponsor logo ffs?

It's called marketing and moving with the times. If the Storm or any other club for that matter kept the "classic" design year after year then how the hell do you expect them to continue selling jersey's if they're always the same or very similar over and over again?

I actually like their new design, then again i also like the Raiders away jersey which many don't like so i might be in the minority. That said i bet my very last dollar that the Storm and Raiders will sell a sh*tload more of their new jerseys next year than what they would if they kept it same old same old which so many already have. Move with the times.

Goddo

Bench
It's called marketing and moving with the times. If the Storm or any other club for that matter kept the "classic" design year after year then how the hell do you expect them to continue selling jersey's if they're always the same or very similar over and over again?

I actually like their new design, then again i also like the Raiders away jersey which many don't like so i might be in the minority. That said i bet my very last dollar that the Storm and Raiders will sell a sh*tload more of their new jerseys next year than what they would if they kept it same old same old which so many already have. Move with the times.

I can understand little changes, or changes to alternate strips, but other sports seem to handle not changing their jersey much each year.

Charlie124

First Grade
I actually dont mind the storm one, but thats probably more because i hate their dark purple ones that look almost black. At least this one has some colour.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Maybe they should ask the AFL teams in their own city why they have no trouble keeping the same exact design for decades at a time?

It's poor marketing when you change the jersey at the drop of a hat and point to the small, once-off, increase in sales as proof it worked.

Building the brand (ie: keeping the same basic jersey design) is far more important, especially in an expansion area.

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah, I was thinking what Lockyer4President said. In an area like Melbourne where recognition is a very big issue, I'd've thought they need to keep the same logo and colours and a similar jersey. That being said, it's not that different, and if Melbournians can't work out that's the same team that was wearing a no-too-different jersey last year, then they're mentally challenged. It's still predominantly purple with lightning bolts on it in a similar place to where they've always been. I'm not a fan of this change, but I've seen a lot worse.

Timmah

Staff member
Exactly, the 'building of the brand' is the opposable lightning bolts and while the design is modified they're basically still there, little has changed in that regard.

Timmah

Staff member
Just a quick summary of confirmed jerseys so far, there is one or two I've missed (Storm and Knights namely)...

2010can-main.jpg
2010can-alt.jpg

2010cro-main.jpg
2010cro-alt.jpg

Pierced Soul

First Grade
in a small market like we have in rugby league where revenue streams dont seemed to get maximised i can understand changing a jersey every few years. if you have the same exact jersey there's no incentive for fans to buy one eveyr few years, subsequently you arent encessarily increasing the jersey/merchandise sales

i dont know why AFL teams allegedly have the same jersey's for decades and i dont undertsand how they can have 50,000 members either....but every code is different.

i dont follow the nba anymore but dont they seem to have new jersies every few years?

flippikat

First Grade
in a small market like we have in rugby league where revenue streams dont seemed to get maximised i can understand changing a jersey every few years. if you have the same exact jersey there's no incentive for fans to buy one eveyr few years, subsequently you arent encessarily increasing the jersey/merchandise sales

i dont know why AFL teams allegedly have the same jersey's for decades and i dont undertsand how they can have 50,000 members either....but every code is different.

i dont follow the nba anymore but dont they seem to have new jersies every few years?

I personally think the best approach is to try and keep any changes to the HOME jersey as subtle as possible - if anything creative or daring is tried, leave it to the clash/away jersey.

Of course, it varies from code-to-code, and club-to-club how subtle the changes are to the home strip - sometimes it can be quite profound (see The Black V added to Manchester United strip this year, or the Canterbury template on almost all the Air NZ cup teams in rugby)..

Latest posts