What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010+11 Jerseys, Logos & Sponsors

LESStar58

Referee
splash.jpg

f**king hideous!

LESStar58

Referee
Saints' away jersey for next year appeared in yesterday's RLW 2010 preview in the advertisement for some sports shop in QLD...if I can find a photo online I'll put it up...but I can say it is pretty damn ugly. The away jersey we just had from 08-09 was better IMO. The red v is obviously retained as the home one.

Saints should be exempt from an away jersey as the Red V doesn't really clash with anyone else.... I remember when they wore their away strip against the Storm for our 10th anniversary game in 2007. Looked too much like a wannabe Man Utd jersey!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Saints should be exempt from an away jersey as the Red V doesn't really clash with anyone else.... I remember when they wore their away strip against the Storm for our 10th anniversary game in 2007. Looked too much like a wannabe Man Utd jersey!
Liverpool I think you mean ;-)

As for the Red V not clashing anything, the predominant white of ours and the Dragons' jersey often meant they had to wear an away strip or we did if we went there. However they schedule the Saints/Dogs games in Heritage Round now so neither team wears a home jersey.

Saint Doc

Coach
Liverpool I think you mean ;-)

As for the Red V not clashing anything, the predominant white of ours and the Dragons' jersey often meant they had to wear an away strip or we did if we went there. However they schedule the Saints/Dogs games in Heritage Round now so neither team wears a home jersey.

The thing is...both teams and fans managed to tell the difference between red and blue for the better part of 65 years before alternates were introduced...and both our jerseys (esp. yours) have way more colour than they used to.

Damn stupid money making schemes...

Good point on the heritage round though.

Can you imagine the uproar if we met in a GF and one team was forced into their alternate? They'd be burning down houses in kogarah or belmore...

Joker's Wild

Coach
I think the alternative Dragons jersey's link to the old Steelers strip was a nice nod to the Illawarra region and its fans. The new one for 2010 is just an absolute abortion and takes away that link completely.

Perhaps they are planning to do a Steelers heritage jersey for 2011?

jono

Juniors
I note with interest that from that RLW on-line ad to which LESStar refers, you can buy one of Billy Slater's balls , for $24.95!
I wonder how much for a set of two!

Jankuloski

Juniors
Does anyone really know what do those rubber things on the new jersey (Canberra has some) are for? It strikes as kinda dumb to give the opposing team a grippy surface to grab hold of...

I really like the black to grey / green combo Canberra have on their away jerseys, but they should do something about the stripes - it's like a criss cross!

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Perhaps they are planning to do a Steelers heritage jersey for 2011?

I really hope not, in Heritage week St George's rich heritage is remembered, not the 16 year heritage of the silly Tin Men. We often have an Illawarra heritage game at win stadium every year, last year against manly and the previous two years against canberra. i think in 2010 it will be against canberra.

Timmah

Staff member
Isn't it roughly the area where you hold the ball? It's about gripping the ball to the jersey I think. Noone really grabs you to tackle in that section.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Does anyone really know what do those rubber things on the new jersey (Canberra has some) are for? It strikes as kinda dumb to give the opposing team a grippy surface to grab hold of...

I really like the black to grey / green combo Canberra have on their away jerseys, but they should do something about the stripes - it's like a criss cross!

I think they are for gripping the ball when its tucked under the arm

I really hope not, in Heritage week St George's rich heritage is remembered, not the 16 year heritage of the silly Tin Men. We often have an Illawarra heritage game at win stadium every year, last year against manly and the previous two years against canberra. i think in 2010 it will be against canberra.

Well it is St. George Illawarra after all. Illawarra being the region that supplies a fair chunk of your FG side and an even bigger chunk of your rep players over the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
As the 2010 rugby league season nears, Vodafone are proud to announce they are renewing their sponsorship of the Vodafone Warriors for a further four years, to the end of the 2014 NRL season. Vodafone New Zealand began their support as principal sponsor of New Zealand's only representative in the NRL back in 1999 and CEO Russell Stanners, is thrilled to offer their long-term support to both the Vodafone Warriors and also their National Youth Competition (NYC) side, the Vodafone Junior Warriors, "Like many New Zealanders, and lots of our customers, we feel very passionate about the Vodafone Warriors, as they are the team that represents our country week in, week out, in the NRL which is clearly one of the most exciting competitions in Australasia," says Russell.
Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the club was ecstatic about Vodafone's decision to extend their partnership with the club. "We enjoy a fantastic relationship with Vodafone and we are extremely grateful for the backing they provide," says Wayne.
"They've done a wonderful job in developing this sponsorship and have been hugely supportive of us at all times." Vodafone's long term commitment and the use of its technology has helped take the fans closer to the Kiwi NRL club, team and players than ever before.
There are now nearly 50,000 fans that belong to One Tribe, the Vodafone Warriors supporter community that Vodafone created in 2006 to closely connect fans with their heroes and each other via activity on their mobiles, online, television and at the stadium on match days. "The team at Vodafone continue to amaze us with their innovative engagement with the club, fans of the game and their own customers", says Wayne. New captain Simon Mannering will lead the Vodafone Warriors into their 2010 season which starts with a clash against the Gold Coast Titans in Robina on Sunday, March 14.

http://www.voxy.co.nz/business/vodaf...-years/5/32796

Well it is St. George Illawarra after all. Illawarra being the region that supplies a fair chunk of your FG side and an even bigger chunk of your rep players over the past 10 years.
Every year we play Canberra in Wollongong it is desiganted as Illawarra RL heritage week (Steelers + Raiders entered together in '82). The side wears the red alternate strip and there are pre-game + half time tributes to RL in the region.

The official heritage match is against Canterbury and therefore represents the St George region's heritage. This includes the jersey design.

Saint Doc

Coach
The big loser with the sponsorship change is the orange home jersey.

Those two heritage jerseys look fantastic, esp. Wests, and the Tigers one looks good too, the sponsor seems to sit quite well.

The black home jersey is good...no change.

But the box logo really makes the orange jersey look plain and boring. Shame. Still, not the worst by a long shot (our new alternate takes the cake)

macavity

Referee
The big loser with the sponsorship change is the orange home jersey.

Those two heritage jerseys look fantastic, esp. Wests, and the Tigers one looks good too, the sponsor seems to sit quite well.

The black home jersey is good...no change.

But the box logo really makes the orange jersey look plain and boring. Shame. Still, not the worst by a long shot (our new alternate takes the cake)

gotta wonder why they didn't do it the other way around - MKB on the black.