What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

user_nat

Coach
Didn't look like 38k. Better than expected result.

Sharks .. Not so much.

Last edited:

DeBroncos

Juniors
why did they keep showing that Hayne plane sign in the broncos game. I have no problem with the kid with the blue sign but they keep showing the Hayne plane sign that looked more like the Hayne Penis lol

docbrown

Coach
Cronulla suck! Are they in danger of getting the first sub 10K average in 8 years?

The NRL needs to move beyond those kinds of numbers. That's why membership is so important.

The bare minimum crowd for an NRL game should be about 10,000. We should be looking to increase crowds to around 18,000 avg over the next 3-4 years and 20,000+ after that.

A prediction: some time within the next two to three years there will be six teams averaging more than 20,000 for game - for the second time ever and not since the 90's before Super League.

NRLMad

Juniors
The NRL needs to move beyond those kinds of numbers. That's why membership is so important.

The bare minimum crowd for an NRL game should be about 10,000. We should be looking to increase crowds to around 18,000 avg over the next 3-4 years and 20,000+ after that.

A prediction: some time within the next two to three years there will be six teams averaging more than 20,000 for game - for the second time ever and not since the 90's before Super League.

Brisbane, Melbourne, GC, Souths, Canterbury, Tigers. Dragons will always be lower unless they take more games on the road as we're hamstrung with both WIN's being around 20K

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
First sub-10k average in eight years? :? Warriors averaged 8k in 2006.

STG-MACCA

Bench
Brisbane, Melbourne, GC, Souths, Canterbury, Tigers. Dragons will always be lower unless they take more games on the road as we're hamstrung with both WIN's being around 20K

I believe the new WIN Stadium in Wollongong (stand under construction now) will be near on 25K...

Kogarah already has Development Approval for extensions to the north eastern terrace / grandstand (same as what was added to the south eastern corner) and that should add another 2K or so to a 21K capacity, including an extension to the corporate area might add another 1K or so.

Our biggest issue is the restrictions on selling season tickets. The NRL do not permit a total sell out to members, there must be a portion of reserved seating available to opposition fans. We are at capacity now for reserved seating members at Kogarah, so we can only grow in Wollongong and General Admin until the extensions in Kogarah go ahead (and we need funding).

Personally, I think growing season tickets is the most important thing in the game at present, and I think the rules need to be changed so that clubs can sell every single seat to their stadiums if they can. If that means Kogarah is sold out in advance and it's a lock out for opposition fans so be it. Same at Brisbane etc.... if they have the numbers to force a lock out, then great.

Sports in the USA often have waiting lists of 50 years + to get a membership, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that so long as a system is in place that if you can't make a game, you can put your seats into a resale pool to ensure the game is full.

Season 2011, at this stage Saints will have 12 games in Sydney. 2 or 3 will be played in a bigger stadium IMO

applesauce

Bench
I believe the new WIN Stadium in Wollongong (stand under construction now) will be near on 25K...

Kogarah already has Development Approval for extensions to the north eastern terrace / grandstand (same as what was added to the south eastern corner) and that should add another 2K or so to a 21K capacity, including an extension to the corporate area might add another 1K or so.

Our biggest issue is the restrictions on selling season tickets. The NRL do not permit a total sell out to members, there must be a portion of reserved seating available to opposition fans. We are at capacity now for reserved seating members at Kogarah, so we can only grow in Wollongong and General Admin until the extensions in Kogarah go ahead (and we need funding).

Personally, I think growing season tickets is the most important thing in the game at present, and I think the rules need to be changed so that clubs can sell every single seat to their stadiums if they can. If that means Kogarah is sold out in advance and it's a lock out for opposition fans so be it. Same at Brisbane etc.... if they have the numbers to force a lock out, then great.

Sports in the USA often have waiting lists of 50 years + to get a membership, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that so long as a system is in place that if you can't make a game, you can put your seats into a resale pool to ensure the game is full.

Season 2011, at this stage Saints will have 12 games in Sydney. 2 or 3 will be played in a bigger stadium IMO

Bingo! Almost all the major NBA and NHL teams do that as their stadiums are hamstrung to only 15-25k capacities I go to NY every year and get Knicks and Rangers tickets from resellers off Ticketmaster (Season members) as every game is sold out.

NRL need to look at the that. I had no idea Kogarah had that much membership sold:clap:

docbrown

Coach
Bingo! Almost all the major NBA and NHL teams do that as their stadiums are hamstrung to only 15-25k capacities I go to NY every year and get Knicks and Rangers tickets from resellers off Ticketmaster (Season members) as every game is sold out.

NRL need to look at the that. I had no idea Kogarah had that much membership sold:clap:

Damn straight. If the Dragons can sell out Kogarah for the whole year, then do it. It's a guaranteed income stream - but the fans have to show up of course or resell the seats. If a team can do that, it deserves the crowd advantage, plus those fans who miss out will just go their home team's available matches any way.

Alot of NFL teams have sold out stadiums years before the league starts. People leave their memberships in their wills upon their death as they're so hard to get. Dragons have an estimated 450,000+ fan base to draw up. There are five other Sydney clubs that can make the same claim.

The NRL's goal must be converting those fringe fans into members.

STG-MACCA

Bench

I am talking about reserved seating, so it's not all that impressive, works out to be about 6K. That still leaves 10K+ of GA (hill) that can be sold. We have 12,xxx season tickets sold. this year.

Biggest issue for St.George Illawarra is that Kogarah is not the cheapest place to live (and the cheapest property is 40+ years old, so fans that were born and bred locally have been driven out of the area unless they are financially sound. I would be comfortable claiming that the majority of local (Sydney based) St.George fans from 1 generation high or greater have moved further west or out of NSW to ease the cost of living. With the way they schedule NRL games, then throw in the fact that we are mostly Friday night, makes travelling to Kogarah difficult for everyone not local especially away supporters who can watch it on TV live and in comfort at home.

Wollongong folk don't support the side in large numbers......not to say they won't eventually (next generation of fans). A new stand will help draw more folk from Sydney south, and hopefully a premiership will bring in a flock of new members.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
as have the Cowboys but at least they have an excuse.

PR the crowds on the Gold Coast and up in Nth Qld have to be of concern to the NRL.

Yes you are right about the Cowboys and their poor form probably having an influence. But even taking that in to account I expect bigger crowds then what they are getting.

Latest posts