What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

benoir91

Juniors
And again we'll get a crowd a few k below capacity...

19,800 against the Roosters isn't that far below capacity

The fact that this on Sunday afternoon on a sunny day should see it over 20,000 especially when both teams are from the west.

bazza

Immortal
19,800 against the Roosters isn't that far below capacity

The fact that this on Sunday afternoon on a sunny day should see it over 20,000 especially when both teams are from the west.

The official capacity is 20,741 http://www.parramattastadium.com.au/media/stadium-information

So the Roosters game was 917 short of capacity. There were still some single seats and obstructed view seats available from ticketek for that game

Forecast is partly cloudy and 19 for Sunday so would expect to get over 20k.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
917 = almost one thousand seats.

Regardles of your agenda against me and your arguments spiralling into semantics, there's still going to be empty seats on Sunday afternoon despite the sell-out claim. My point stands, yours looks pissweak because once again you're playing the man, not the ball.

sarahk

Juniors

Regardles of your agenda against me and your arguments spiralling into semantics, there's still going to be empty seats on Sunday afternoon despite the sell-out claim. My point stands, yours looks pissweak because once again you're playing the man, not the ball.

Timmah, you sid a few k. IF you said one thousand we wouldn't be having this discussion. A few K implies that it's more than one thousand.

I don't have an agenda against you, if anything it's the other way around with the way you shoot down anything to do with Parra.

Rather than turning around and saying it's a good thing for the game that there is a sell out crowd you're criticising it saying that it'll be ' a few k' below capacity.

Can you seriously ever have a completely sold out crowd especially with a lot of seats being corporate seats and seats being taken up by members? Not every single person that is a member comes to every single game, and not all people that are given corporate seats turn up to the game.

I fail to see how your point of 917 being equated to a few k stands.....

bazza

Immortal

Hopefully your next pay rise of "a few k" is actually only 1k

benoir91

Juniors
To add to all this, even if the actual attendance of a sell out is below capacity, it happens at every club, not just Parramatta

Perth Red

Post Whore
what's it matter, Parra have the money in the bank.

Great crowd, nice to see sell out at RL games

yakstorm

First Grade
Whilst it's nice to see sell out crowds, unfortunately until teams are prepared to move their bigger games to bigger venues, we'll never significantly improve our crowd average.

If you look at this year, in terms of games which were sell outs, or went close to being sell outs, there are a number of opportunities we missed out on.

Here are just some obvious games that could have been moved because they were sell outs, or there was a perception in the public that they were sold out, and the conservative crowds they would have gotten at a bigger venue:

Rnd 1: Eels v Dragons
Actual: 18,293
At ANZ: 25,000+

Rnd 2: Dragons v Bulldogs
Actual: 16,177
At SFS: 25,000+

Rnd 12: Dragons v Eels
Actual: 15,068
At SFS: 20,000+

Rnd 16: Dragons v Wests Tigers
Actual: 16,574

Rnd 19: Titans v Broncos
Actual: 26,197
At Suncorp: 35,000+

Rnd 21: Eels v Roosters
Actual: 19,824

Now of course all of those games could have potentially drawn more than what I've estimated there, but still even with those conservative figures, that is almost 43,000 people who could have attended a match, who weren't given an opportunity.

Also please note whilst Eels and Dragons are mentioned multiple times here, I'm not having a go at those clubs, it's just a shame that they are two clubs who have great drawing power in 2010, yet play at venues with such limited capacities.

Especially as all clubs membership numbers continue to grow, these missed opportunities are only going to occur more and more until clubs become more willing to move their games when it goes from being just a standard premiership match to becoming a blockbuster.

Timmah

Staff member
Oh but don't speak sense yak, it's an anti-Parra agenda :roll:

Brutus

Referee
Whilst it's nice to see sell out crowds, unfortunately until teams are prepared to move their bigger games to bigger venues, we'll never significantly improve our crowd average.

If you look at this year, in terms of games which were sell outs, or went close to being sell outs, there are a number of opportunities we missed out on.

Here are just some obvious games that could have been moved because they were sell outs, or there was a perception in the public that they were sold out, and the conservative crowds they would have gotten at a bigger venue:

Now of course all of those games could have potentially drawn more than what I've estimated there, but still even with those conservative figures, that is almost 43,000 people who could have attended a match, who weren't given an opportunity.

Also please note whilst Eels and Dragons are mentioned multiple times here, I'm not having a go at those clubs, it's just a shame that they are two clubs who have great drawing power in 2010, yet play at venues with such limited capacities.

Especially as all clubs membership numbers continue to grow, these missed opportunities are only going to occur more and more until clubs become more willing to move their games when it goes from being just a standard premiership match to becoming a blockbuster.

Great post.

adamkungl

Immortal

I disagree.

Most clubs fans will not want to move full time away from their real home grounds. If demand gets so high that a lot of games are selling out, we can start raising the ticket prices. It has the same effect for the club dollars wise.

The NBA is hugely successful with 17k averages. The NRL doesn't need to be pulling AFL-like numbers to be deemed successful. In terms of world football, the NRL is VERY successful in proportion to Australia's population.

You can't just move games on a whim - pick 3-4 games at the start of the season to move to bigger grounds, and leave the rest at Parra/Kogarah/wherever.

Timmah

Staff member
NBA successful with 17k averages... what a pissweak comparison :lol:

yakstorm

First Grade
I disagree.

Most clubs fans will not want to move full time away from their real home grounds. If demand gets so high that a lot of games are selling out, we can start raising the ticket prices. It has the same effect for the club dollars wise.

The NBA is hugely successful with 17k averages. The NRL doesn't need to be pulling AFL-like numbers to be deemed successful. In terms of world football, the NRL is VERY successful in proportion to Australia's population.

You can't just move games on a whim - pick 3-4 games at the start of the season to move to bigger grounds, and leave the rest at Parra/Kogarah/wherever.

That is a fair point, but it's assuming that the NBA clubs wouldn't move their games if there was a bigger venue available within their city that they could play at.

NBA clubs also have a lot more home games to cater for (just having a look at the NBA website, I count 41 home for Chicago), so its not really an apples for apples model comparison either.

I also agree the NRL doesn't need to be pulling AFL like numbers to be deemed successful, but considering we are competing in a very competitive sports market, we need our clubs earning as much revenue as possible and also need to take advantage of blockbusters to show off how strong our brand actually is.

Eels prices don't drop when they move from Parramatta Stadium to ANZ Stadium, they just have more seats upon which they can sell.

AFL still gets sub-10K crowds, and still has small crowds in big stadiums, even with their strong membership numbers. Even as we grow our memberships, we will still have games where people will feel its not worth their time to show up, so to balance this, we should take advantage of those games everyone wants to go to.

sarahk

Juniors
Oh but don't speak sense yak, it's an anti-Parra agenda :roll:

Timmah, i dont know why i bother retaliating to your comments because i seriously feel like you are a brick wall and anything that someone wants to say to you that is actually intelligent will bounce right off you.

Yak is speaking sense and if you were speaking sense i wouldn't single out your post. As i said before, you made a comment that even though we get a SOLD OUT stadium we still get crowds ' a few k' under capacity. I merely corrected you and it was pointed out by others that we were only 917 under the stadium capacity last home game. You can read my previous post as to WHY there is a discrepancy between the sold out figure and the actual figure because i dont want to go into it again.

I know you think you know everything, and by all means you can think that all you want, but just learn to give credit where credit is due and rather than criticise our ' a few k' under crowd why dont you praise our fans for actually turning up despite us being 10th on the table. But that wouldnt go down well with your bandwagon argument right?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Timmah, i dont know why i bother retaliating to your comments because i seriously feel like you are a brick wall and anything that someone wants to say to you that is actually intelligent will bounce right off you.

Yak is speaking sense and if you were speaking sense i wouldn't single out your post. As i said before, you made a comment that even though we get a SOLD OUT stadium we still get crowds ' a few k' under capacity. I merely corrected you and it was pointed out by others that we were only 917 under the stadium capacity last home game. You can read my previous post as to WHY there is a discrepancy between the sold out figure and the actual figure because i dont want to go into it again.

I know you think you know everything, and by all means you can think that all you want, but just learn to give credit where credit is due and rather than criticise our ' a few k' under crowd why dont you praise our fans for actually turning up despite us being 10th on the table. But that wouldnt go down well with your bandwagon argument right?

Well said.

Saint Doc

Coach
Can't believe people are bagging the sellout crowd. need I remind timmah of the dogs vs tigers crowd? 11k. That's a few k short of capacity- 71k short. Sure it was raining but when games are threatened as sellouts people pre-buy, which massively increases their chance of attending. Yes, smaller grounds can be negatives, but they help increase memberships, create hype, give a great impression on tv etc. No further proof is needed than the recent parra roosters game which was the highest ever rating paytv game.

Good on you parra, the sellout crowd is gonna look great!

Brutus

Referee
Is the Parra Stadium trust serious about keeping the capacity of the ground at 20K?

The sooner they bump it back up to it's old capacity, the better.

applesauce

Bench
I disagree.

mmmm :lol:

The Knicks (a team who hasn't played play-offs in 6 years) charge about $3-5k for courtside tickets and a decent seat in the upper tear is around $100.

Hardly the same thing.

Latest posts