What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

user_nat

Coach
Will be interesting to see how this goes..

$1 tickets for final Storm game
Melbourne Storm are hoping to end their NRL season of salary cap disgrace on a high, aiming for a sellout home crowd by selling tickets for $1.

It would allow the Storm to farewell its many departing players, including superstar Greg Inglis, in style as they sign off in the September 5 final round match against Newcastle at AAMI Park.

Storm chief executive Ron Gauci announced the $1 ticket initiative on Tuesday, with the club dedicating the game to thanking Melbourne for its support in the Storm's most turbulent season.

With the Storm condemned to the wooden spoon ever since they were stripped of two premierships and all competition points in 2010 for salary cap rorting, it gives the opportunity to finish on a positive note.

The club will be farewelling Brisbane-bound Inglis and other senior players in Ryan Hoffman, Brett White, Brett Finch, Jeff Lima and Aiden Tolman.

"It's our great desire to see every seat filled at AAMI Park on Sunday, September 5," said Gauci.

Coach Craig Bellamy said: "This is a great chance for our club to show Melbourne just what their support means to us."
link

edit: bleh, didn't see that there was a thread dedicated to this..

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
Category 1 seats are already down in single seats only for this game now... Appears the promotion is working a treat down south....

applesauce

Bench
Category 1 seats are already down in single seats only for this game now... Appears the promotion is working a treat down south....

The AFL probably paid for 10,000 seats just to piss on the parade when the stadium looks empty. :sarcasm:

meltiger

First Grade
Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere, but Wests Tigers emailed members yesterday advising that only 3,000 GA tickets are still available for Sunday, so assuming a majority of members show + strong walk-up and Leichhardt will hopefully be jam packed.

dragondad

First Grade
Warriors v Brisbane - 19k
Souths v Parramatta - 13k
Cronulla v Gold Coast - 9k
Newcastle v St George Illawarra - 19k
Canberra v North Queensland - 14k
Wests Tigers v Melbourne - 18k
Roosters v Manly - 16k
Canterbury v Penrith - 13k

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
NZ v Brisbane - 18k
Soufs/Pawwaa - 16k
Sharks/Titans - 13k
Newie/Saints - 21k (if they fit)
Canb/NthQld - 11k
Tigers/Storm - 20k
Syd/Manly - 17k
Dogs/Penrith - 18k

Total: 134k
Avg: 16750

bazza

Immortal
NZ v Brisbane - 17k
Soufs/Pawwaa - 14k
Sharks/Titans - 8k
Newie/Saints - 19k
Canb/NthQld - 11k
Tigers/Storm - 19k
Syd/Manly - 13k
Dogs/Penrith - 14k

Total: 115k
Avg: 14375

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
Tickets are selling well in Newcastle, might be on tap for the best round for crowds in a while?

docbrown

Coach
Tickets are selling well in Newcastle, might be on tap for the best round for crowds in a while?

You couldn't buy 2 seats together in the middle of the stadium on Monday. Not sure what the capacity is because of the construction, but would have to be a 20k crowd.

Apparently Tigers v Storm is close to a sell out, about 17,000 sold already.

docbrown

Coach
And Storm vs Knights also officially a sell out (who care if it's a $1, 30,000 people in Melbourne watching League is great!).

If Rabbitohs/Eels/Sea Eagles/Roosters fans don't get out to those final matches, we won't get the record.

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
Vis a vis crowds, and how to get them through the gates. I can't comment on Melbourne because I've never been there, and my knowledge of Sydney is limited, but I can comment on SEQ, which is the only place I've ever been to the footy. I've been to 5 different grounds - Seagulls, Carrara, Robina, QEII, and Lang Park (only since the RWC upgrade). Add in the Gabba for a few AFL games (and cricket). Lang Park in its current guise is absolutely brilliant - wonderful stadium, purpose built for League/Union/Football ($500 mil will do that), awesome atmosphere, not a bad seat in the joint. I have a similar opinion of the Gabba (which also had a truckload spent on upgrades for the 2000 Olympic Football), and Robina is basically a minature version of Lang Park. Carrara is/was crap in every way, though I'm guessing something will be done for the new AFL club. Seagulls is long gone, but was a great place to watch footy. QEII is/was nearly as crap as Carrara.

When you look at all 3 main stadiums in SEQ, you can see why they draw such good crowds. Loads of governent money poured into building/upgrading all of them. Very good (and free, by the by) public transport (two next to train stations, the other with a bus interchange across the road). No parking at any of them, but the free public transport makes up for it (or makes it better by avoiding traffic jams). All 3 of them all-seater, fully enclosed stadiums designed to place the fans on top of the action no matter where they sit. Ticket prices are higher than Sydney as far as I'm aware(someone has to pay for the stadiums), but when you factor in the free transport and how good the stadiums are, it's probably worth it.

So on top of the natural advantage the Broncos, Titans, Lions, GCU, Roar, and Reds have in being the only team in town in their respective codes, they have excellent stadiums which are easy to get to and from, which makes it more likely that some umming and ahhing between going to the footy or watching on telly will take the former option.

One more minor point - SEQ's bus and train networks are integrated into a single public transport system. Has Sydney managed to enter the 21st century in this regard yet? It hadn't last time I was there (2005).

Juju

Juniors
Single seats only in all seated areas at Mt Smart. Looking at 20k easy. Possibly a sell out.

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
Awesome work from most grounds this weekend, any figures on numbers sold Manly v Roosters?