What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamkungl

Immortal
Monday night is a crowd killer, you can generally add a few K at least to get what the crowd would've been on a reasonable day to watch football.

Everything about it is a crowdkiller, besides it being on a week night it starts earlier than say friday night footy - less time to get there from work etc.

Purely for primetime pay TV, we wont maximise our crowds while it is still there.

Exactly. People have to stop complaining about Monday night crowds. MNF doesn't and never will earn its worth through ticket sales.

MsStorm

Bench
Decent crowd imo (for reasons everyone has already debated) but it would be interesting to see how it rated on pay-tv against the Socceroos/NZ friendly in Melbourne.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Traditionally the Illawarra is very much a league area, having produced 2 immortals and a helluva lot of internationals over the years. These days there is also a pretty large soccer presence, alot of ethnic groups etc (for example there are 28 clubs in the main soccer comp, each with 2-3 sides).

But yes, in general your average person will be a rugby league fan.

Crowds were low in the 80's in general. Bar Parra and Canterbury comfortably the worst decade for rugby league crowds i think (upswing probably happened around 88 with the introduction of Newcastle and Brisbane). Not to mention, looking at scores, they were some god awful Illawarra sides in the 80's

Cheers forgot to mention are fans happy to support a merged club in Illawarra.

fanatique

Juniors
Anyway, first really sh*t weekend with crowds, and at least two were rain effected (NZ and Newcastle). Not great but, barring a very low panthers turn out, none 4 figures is good.

Next week should be a bit better, although not brilliant

Wests vs NZ - 15K
St George Illawarra vs Parra - Sold Out (approx 18.5K im guessing)
Cronulla vs Brisbane - 14K
Nth Qld vs Manly - 15K
Melbourne vs Canterbury - 18K
Souths vs Penrith - 20K
Gold Coast vs Chooks - 12.5K (although this could be real low, judging by the Tits lack of support and poor form of the chooks, Monday night in the middle of nowhere).

Not a sh*t weekend at all. Predictable with the SOO's usual lamentable impact on NRL attendances. Happens every year. As long as these meaningless exhibitions are allowed invade the middle of the NRL calendar there will be a negative impact on attendances.

flamin

Juniors
Considering rounds before SOO have averaged 10k in the past it was an average round for crowds. If thats what the other rounds before the other 2 games are like it will be a great year!

chrisc101

Juniors
Anyway, first really sh*t weekend with crowds, and at least two were rain effected (NZ and Newcastle). Not great but, barring a very low panthers turn out, none 4 figures is good.

Next week should be a bit better, although not brilliant

Wests vs NZ - 15K
St George Illawarra vs Parra - Sold Out (approx 18.5K im guessing)
Cronulla vs Brisbane - 14K
Nth Qld vs Manly - 15K
Souths vs Penrith - 20K
Gold Coast vs Chooks - 12.5K (although this could be real low, judging by the Tits lack of support and poor form of the chooks, Monday night in the middle of nowhere).

You heard it here first, clear weather on Friday night and Wests will outdraw the Dragons.

I never seen a stadium like that so close to the sea,it's beautiful.

It may be beautfiul, but it does present problems.

The site is very constrained.

To the north is the Wollongong Entertainment Centre.
To the west is Harbour Street, which is a bit more than 20m from the grass of the playing field.
To the east is a small impediment called the Pacific Ocean.
South has room to expand, but only by impeding on WIN Stadium No. 2, the training oval.

The eastern side is especially problematic. The hill is essentially a sand dune.

Red Bear

Referee
Cheers forgot to mention are fans happy to support a merged club in Illawarra.
Generally yes, although probably least in the about 20-35 year old age group (my generation really). Older people grew up with a different club there and the younger ones dont know any different, but just amongst my mates at school there was a fair bit of dislike for the Dragons and this age group is essentially the one that grew up with the Steelers.

But in general they dont have much problem with dominating the local sporting support.

Frailty

First Grade
No comments about the Origin crowd?

Being at the game, I was not impressed that the tops of the camera side were bare... Easily could have accounted for more people

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
68,000 when we have two games at the venue is a good crowd, especially given the ferocity of the weather. Mass downpours right around Sydney throughout the day and leading right up to kickoff would've had many people with lower category tickets reconsidering their attendance. The atmosphere was still fantastic and it was still more than Queensland can ever get to their stadium.

Brutus

Referee
Yep, the weather was absolutely woeful on Wednesday.

A good turnout. 68k comes across pretty darn well on the TV. You only start noticing the spare seats in a big way at that stadium when the crowd is under 60k. Anything over looks great.

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
I left early to meet a mate in Annadale and bus it in. The M4 was down to 50kph in some places with the ferocity of the weather.

Glad I went the undercover option

Frailty

First Grade
68,000 when we have two games at the venue is a good crowd, especially given the ferocity of the weather. Mass downpours right around Sydney throughout the day and leading right up to kickoff would've had many people with lower category tickets reconsidering their attendance. The atmosphere was still fantastic and it was still more than Queensland can ever get to their stadium.

Oh I understand this. I thought it was a great turn out. Just was dissappointed that the empty seats at the top of the southern side was empty - these were undercover $50 tickets.

Wests vs NZ - 17K
St George Illawarra vs Parra - 18K
Cronulla vs Brisbane - 12K
Nth Qld vs Manly - 16K
Souths vs Penrith - 15K
Gold Coast vs Chooks - 14K

Total 110K
Average: 15.7K

Red Bear

Referee
looked good on TV, entire bottom section seemed pretty jam-packed

IMPORTANT TICKETING UPDATE FOR DRAGONS V EELS MATCH

28/05/2010 12:22:53 PM

Fans looking to attend the Dragons v Eels Round 12 match at WIN Jubilee Oval, Kogarah this Friday night are encouraged to pre-purchase their tickets to avoid queuing and the prospect of missing out.
Tickets are selling fast with only 3 000 general admission tickets remaining for this much anticipated clash.
Fans attending the game are also encouraged to arrive early to avoid the last minute rush. Gates open at 5pm with the Toyota Cup game scheduled to start at 5.20pm.
The only way to guarantee your seat for this match and the rest of the Dragons home games is to purchase a Red V Membership. 6 game packages start at only $55 CLICK HERE for more information.

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=26170

bazza

Immortal
Looks like it is going to rain on the weekend in Sydney
Has it rained every time the Sharkies play on Saturday night this year?

Billythekid

First Grade
Oh I understand this. I thought it was a great turn out. Just was dissappointed that the empty seats at the top of the southern side was empty - these were undercover $50 tickets.

Maybe people don't want to pay money to go out in the rain to sit in a seat where they can't even see the game.

Those top seats are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.