What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Weather or no weather I am Concrete Jungle bound this evening
God I hope it stops raining for at least 80 minutes :fist:
It's teaming down as I write this.

Friends and loved ones only.

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...tigers-toyota-cup-game-postponed/default.aspx

Toyota Cup CBY v WST postponed

Torrential rain has forced the postponement of tonight’s Toyota Cup match between the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium.

Due to the potential closure of alternate venues as a result of the wet weather, a decision on when and where the match will now be played will be made tomorrow morning.

Gates for tonight’s Telstra Premiership match between the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium will still open at 5.15pm.

For any supporters who arrive early, a replay of the 1988 Grand Final between the Bulldogs and Balmain will be shown on the big screens.

Please also be advised of the following amendments to the Toyota Cup draw in upcoming rounds:

Round 15
Saturday, June 19
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Gold Coast Titans at North Sydney Oval
Kick-Off: 1pm

Round 16
Sunday, June 27
South Sydney Rabbitohs v Melbourne Storm at North Sydney Oval

Round 18
Saturday, July 10
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Melbourne Storm at The Crest Stadium

Last edited:

m0nty

Juniors
Why are Queensland's crowds down, anyway? Brisbane TV ratings for NRL are down 12 per cent as well. It can't just be because the Broncos are doing relatively poorly. The Tits are fourth, for heaven's sake.

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah, lets play in controlled conditions :thumb

Weather conditions, while not great for crowds, are one of the awesome things about league - they can turn games on their heads.

Timmah

Staff member
The Titans honeymoon period is over - people are no longer willing to pay overs to go to Skilled Park and watch a game, and the marketing probably needs a bit of a refresh as well.

Brisbane's crowds (save for the big derbies) have been down on previous years probably due to form, but if they keep up the tempo they've produced in the past month they'll improve drastically.

North Queensland have been in poor form for a couple of years now - their excuses/reasons are well documented in this thread.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
The Titans honeymoon period is over - people are no longer willing to pay overs to go to Skilled Park and watch a game, and the marketing probably needs a bit of a refresh as well.

Brisbane's crowds (save for the big derbies) have been down on previous years probably due to form, but if they keep up the tempo they've produced in the past month they'll improve drastically.

North Queensland have been in poor form for a couple of years now - their excuses/reasons are well documented in this thread.

Hows the crowds in Dubbo these days?:lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, lets play in controlled conditions :thumb

Weather conditions, while not great for crowds, are one of the awesome things about league - they can turn games on their heads.

I'm not talking about enclosed, I'm, talking about stand roofs that actually keep the rain off you! Last year I went to a game at ANZ, paid top price for a best seat on 50metres, got soaking wet through when it started chucking it down. Would I ever spend $48 on a seat again there? nope not bl00dy likely! Same at Cronulla where I thought I was back in Yorkshire with winter rugby! Fans are talking with their feet, this leads to less season memberships, poor crowds, dismal look for the game on TV etc etc.

Pathetic scheduling and the weather are going to ruin crowds tonight. We have 4 game days every week, why do they put a game at Homebush on the same time as one in Parramatta? Ridiculous. Compound that with the fact it's pissing down, both games will get really poor crowds. 13k for Parra and 16k for ANZ.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm not talking about enclosed, I'm, talking about stand roofs that actually keep the rain off you! Last year I went to a game at ANZ, paid top price for a best seat on 50metres, got soaking wet through when it started chucking it down. Would I ever spend $48 on a seat again there? nope not bl00dy likely! Same at Cronulla where I thought I was back in Yorkshire with winter rugby! Fans are talking with their feet, this leads to less season memberships, poor crowds, dismal look for the game on TV etc etc.
Fans are voting with their feet and it's leading to less season memberships?

If I recall correctly, the Bulldogs, who call ANZ Stadium home, almost doubled their memberships from 6k to 12k. All other clubs recorded an epic increase apart from I think the Roosters and maybe Manly?

If you've got the capital to fork out for these stadium upgrades go for it. Your criticisms are a bit far fetched IMO. Nice idea but there's simply not the $$$ to do it.

bazza

Immortal
Pathetic scheduling and the weather are going to ruin crowds tonight. We have 4 game days every week, why do they put a game at Homebush on the same time as one in Parramatta? Ridiculous. Compound that with the fact it's pissing down, both games will get really poor crowds. 13k for Parra and 16k for ANZ.

I wouldn't be surprised by sub 10k at both

Teddyboy

First Grade
After a promising start to the NRL things seem to be going pretty sh*t for the code and a total review of it needs to be done now by the NRL.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Has nobody at Parra thought of upgrading the end seating to covered stands. They could have a decent 25K all-seater covered stadium if they did. Maybe even make the rain excuse less valid

Status
Not open for further replies.