What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
Sydney swans got a good one
why f**k these ppl turn up to fumble

43,000 for their biggest game of the year?

35,000 of the crowd consist of either travelling Victorians or ex-Victorians.

The big question will be whether that 43,000 crowd can beat the Sydney free-to-air tv rating.

dgsfan

Juniors
No point dissing that crowd. Whilst it may be down on previous years its still higher than any single club league game in decades. Laughing at that crowd make you look silly really.

Brutus

Referee
No point dissing that crowd. Whilst it may be down on previous years its still higher than any single club league game in decades. Laughing at that crowd make you look silly really.

But the AFL try to pump this game up as the biggest in Sydney of the year. Thousands of Collywap fans travel to Sydney for the weekend, in fact for the last few years this game was a standalone affair on the weekend.

Free tickets galore and a half-full stadium for the only AFL team in Australia's largest state.

Evenflow

Bench
Sydney v Collingwood @ Homebush:

2010: 43,000
2009: 41,042
2008: 59,266
2007: 64,222
2006: 60,307
2005: 44,387
2004: 50,091
2003: 72,393

Good to see (or should i say more sad) that the insecurity levels are not only as high as ever around here but they're also thriving when you see a random AFL crowd number in our NRL crowd thread. The sadder thing is that while those crowds may be way down on recent years we'd kill to get 43k to a game that has 2 Sydney sides competing let alone a Sydney side and a Melbourne side :sarcasm:

Anyway back on topic to what this thread is all about. I reckon 13K is a pretty decent crowd in Perth for 2 interstate sides. The base is obviously there and with their own side i think they would only grow. Lets hope that WA the the next NRL club.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think the point he's making is that is seems absurd for the AFL to be trying to move into Western Sydney when crowds for the current team are in decline. How will a new West Sydney team work with an already dwindling support for the code up here, by their standards?

Evenflow

Bench
I understand the point he's trying to make Tim but how the f**k does the Sydney v Collingwood crowd have any business whatsoever in OUR crowd thread? It smacks of insecurity regardless of what point he's trying to make and far be it to take your job of forum cop but i'd just love for a thread around here to not have any mention of the AFL. It just seems it's becoming more and more prevalent in most threads that they are mentioned and for the life of me i don't know why. I agree there's a time and a place for it but not in our f**king crowd thread.

Maybe we should start a new sub forum titled "I'm scared and insecure about the AFL and i have an abnormal obsession and compulsion to post in all threads even though they have f**k all to do with the topic":crazy:

DC_fan

Coach
13,164 in Perth

Last seasons game drew 15,197 fans. Last nights crowd was a drop of 2,033 fans or 13 percent on that figure.

To be honest I was disappointed in the crowd last night. Appeared on TV to be a fair number of vacant seats. I am not sure what crowd the ground holds. Obviously going on last years crowd it can hold at least 15,000.

With this being the only NRL game in Perth for the season I would have expected a full house. Plus we had two of the best teams in the NRL playing. If Souths playing Melbourne can't attract a full house then I don't know what match would. It would be interesting to see what sort of crowd a second game over there this year would have pulled.

I know back in the early 90's when we played games over there in lead up to the formation of the Reds, they were played at the bigger WACA. Then we had crowds of over 20,000 attending.

If the NRL are serious about having a team play out of Perth in the near future then it needs to have more then one game being played there each season.

yakstorm

First Grade
After the whole Storm scandal earlier this year, there was always the chance that some of the more 'casual' sports fans in Perth who turned up last year, would think this years game was not much more than a glorified trial...and thus not turn up....

Of course any real league fan would know this isn't the case, but anyway, encouragingly based upon the two trials and two Premiership fixtures in Perth the past 2 years there is about 9,000 - 11,000 League fans in WA, a solid base to start on, and actually possibly a better base to start on than what the Reds had back in 1995.

Perth Red

Post Whore
re Perth: whilst the crowd was down on last year there were a couple of factors, it's been freezing here and Perth people are notorius for not going out at night when its cold, the hot weather softens us up! Night before the game was the 2nd coldest since records began and last night was around the 2 degree mark. Interestingly I would say there was a larger walk up crowd last night than the previous year so maybe alot who had bought tickets with families decided to give it a miss. Secondly there was a really bad crash on the Mitchell freeway just after 6pm. This Freeway is the main Northern way into the city. We were sat in it for 1 and half hours and we were at the front. If we had set off at 7pm (normal time to get to MES) there is no way we would have got to the game. Thirdly the cost of this game is silly. Adult ticket prices are $35 - 45. When you are trying to attract casual sports fans you need some pretty good marketing and major event status to get people to pay $45 for a reserved seat to a sport they don't know much about.

re the ground, it has had a couple of mill spent on it since last year and its capacity is higher (hence why it looked emptier). It is around 22,500 now.

Still a great night though for us RL fans and we need and want more games please NRL!

yakstorm

First Grade
Pre-sales for Christchurch were above 16k, and I reckon they would all be there... AMI Stadium is a pretty massive ground these days....

VictoryFC

Bench
43,000 for their biggest game of the year?

35,000 of the crowd consist of either travelling Victorians or ex-Victorians.

The big question will be whether that 43,000 crowd can beat the Sydney free-to-air tv rating.

:lol: Good call

Pre-sales for Christchurch were above 16k, and I reckon they would all be there... AMI Stadium is a pretty massive ground these days....

Something like 36,000, or maybe even 40,000 I cant remember. If Wellington Phoenix can get 20,000 in Christchurch, you would hope that something along those lines would be possible

Status
Not open for further replies.