What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Just because 80000 is just to big to watch ants play in my view and when you see a packed Lang Park (from my tv set of course) that sort of ground is perfect for a grand final,SOO,Union and Soccer international's and 20000 at Lang is better then 20000 at ANZ taken the Bulldogs crowds as an example.

Billythekid

First Grade
18424 at the SFS...not bad

I was thinking more like 14 or 15. For a rainy day thats not to bad. I always have trouble judging crowds at the SFS, i think its cause im used to seeing crowds at ANZ.

Edit:
Just because 80000 is just to big to watch ants play in my view and when you see a packed Lang Park (from my tv set of course) that sort of ground is perfect for a grand final,SOO,Union and Soccer international's and 20000 at Lang is better then 20000 at ANZ taken the Bulldogs crowds as an example.

Your problem is you are mixing up your argument. Your problem isn't with the size of ANZ stadium but rather the way it was designed.

Do you think you would be complaining if we had wembley stadium in place of ANZ? No, thats because having a large stadium like that is great so long as it is purpose built to be rectangular.

Suncorps capacity is not a good thing. If anything we need an 80K seater in Brisbane and are now stuck with a 52K (approx) capacity stadium.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: What was that about low crowds? With rain that crowd is fantastic.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I was thinking more like 14 or 15. For a rainy day thats not to bad. I always have trouble judging crowds at the SFS, i think its cause im used to seeing crowds at ANZ.

Looks shocking at that stadium.

It's really the camera angles. You don't see a lot of the crowd at the back of the bays, and the broadcast side (which you don't see) is packed, plus the top tiers usually have plenty of corporates.

dgsfan

Juniors
They just showed a reverse angle of the conversion. Non tv side looked pretty full. I wonder why that is. Make them fill out the broadcast side first.

Teddyboy

First Grade

Edit:

Your problem is you are mixing up your argument. Your problem isn't with the size of ANZ stadium but rather the way it was designed.

Do you think you would be complaining if we had wembley stadium in place of ANZ? No, thats because having a large stadium like that is great so long as it is purpose built to be rectangular.

Suncorps capacity is not a good thing. If anything we need an 80K seater in Brisbane and are now stuck with a 52K (approx) capacity stadium.
Well no i think bigger is not better and when it comes to the Rugby codes i think 50000 is the perfect size for big games.
It wouldn't matter if Sydney had a 90000 Wembley because you still be in the same boat as that white elephant you got now.
At least your not South Africa as when the FIFA world cup draws to an end on sunday they are going to be a herd of white elephants.

JT_

Juniors
Most people coming into the game come from that side, thus a larger crowd on the broadcast side.

Billythekid

First Grade
Well no i think bigger is not better and when it comes to the Rugby codes i think 50000 is the perfect size for big games.

Well than you're just plain wrong. Wembley has just as much if not more atmosphere as suncorp, it has just as many good seats but it has the added benefit of allowing another 35-40K people in.

What possible reason would you have to choose any other stadium for a big game (i.e. one where it could come close to selling out).

It wouldn't matter if Sydney had a 90000 Wembley because you still be in the same boat as that white elephant you got now.

I think if ANZ was as good a stadium as wembley is it would probably improve attendences.

Regardless Every single year there are 2-3 games played in Sydney with the potential to get well over 50K (hopefully our international game keeps growing and some of those games can draw similar numbers). If the biggest stadium you have can only hold 50K you are losing out on a lot of potential revenue and it makes the games look like less of a spectacle.

If your biggest stadium can only hold 50K than you are handicapping your sport.

Red Bear

Referee
Looks shocking at that stadium.
Top tier on the western side was pretty full, and a fair whack of people on the eastern sides. I was right near the back in bay 36, a bloody good crowd thats for sure. Great atmosphere.

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Well than you're just plain wrong. Wembley has just as much if not more atmosphere as suncorp, it has just as many good seats but it has the added benefit of allowing another 35-40K people in.

What possible reason would you have to choose any other stadium for a big game (i.e. one where it could come close to selling out).

I think if ANZ was as good a stadium as wembley is it would probably improve attendences.

Regardless Every single year there are 2-3 games played in Sydney with the potential to get well over 50K (hopefully our international game keeps growing and some of those games can draw similar numbers). If the biggest stadium you have can only hold 50K you are losing out on a lot of potential revenue and it makes the games look like less of a spectacle.

If your biggest stadium can only hold 50K than you are handicapping your sport.
Well thats your point and good one too but i just think tv money being the main source of income losing 20-30000 for a big event 3-4 times a year wouldn't be such a big deal to the NRL but seeing the Bulldogs and for Union the Waratahs playing in front of 20000-30000 week in week out has got to be better then seeing f**kin 9000 at ANZ for Souths.

dgsfan

Juniors
Top tier on the western side was pretty full, and a fair whack of people on the eastern sides. I was right near the back in bay 36, a bloody good crowd thats for sure. Great atmosphere.

Well I wouldn't call 18,000 between 2 top 8 Sydney teams, one of which who claims to be Sydney's most supported team "bloody good", but better than 12,000 I guess.

fanatique

Juniors
Two Sydney clubs in good form should really draw 20K+ in a stadium of this size. Souths claim to be the most supported club in Sydney and they are currently having a great year. Well, where the hell are they?

Edit:eek:k im an idiot i thought it was a souths home game :/.

Never mind "claims". Attendance stats and Roy Morgan polls which are professionally run polls show us that the Dogs and tigers are Sydney's best supported with the Dragons added if we talk of nationwide support.

The Bunnies flatter to deceive.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Never mind "claims". Attendance stats and Roy Morgan polls which are professionally run polls show us that the Dogs and tigers are Sydney's best supported with the Dragons added if we talk of nationwide support.

The Bunnies flatter to deceive.
Manly get decent support as well.

big_matt

Juniors
Oh jesus Timmah. I'm no AFL troll. Just pointing out a disappointing crowd in Sydney. All over the news today they were harping on about the massive rivalry between these two foundation clubs. Isn't the SFS near Souths territory? Dogs v Parra at the SFS would get a massive crowd if they were both in the 8 at this stage of the comp. Souths are a Sydney side. They're playing tonight at the Sydney Football Stadium. Where are all their fans? Roosters fans I understand not turning up. Well they did turn up, it's just they don't have many fans.

Make a negative comment about a crowd = Timmah calls you an AFL troll. That's the way this thread works no?

VictoryFC

Bench
Alright, C9 and the NRL are monkeys of the highest order.

Last nights game, Im thinking no more than 10,000 here. Then, once in a bluemoon, they show the end opposite the broadcast end, and it looks 80% full, both tiers.

Im at a loss to understand why that end is not the broadcast end; that, or sell out the broadcast end seats first. How can they not see the simplicity of it, and how much better it would look on TV?

VictoryFC

Bench
They are all complicit in the coverage of a match. May not be that C9 is directly responsible, but why are they not angry with the NRL and demand that to make a better TV product you need to stick the fans at the broadcast end? Indirectly, through their lack of impetus and drive to make the product they pay money for look better, they are just as responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.