What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
What with NRL crowds in Sydney on the rise, AFL crowds in Sydney falling and NRL tv ratings on the rise and AFL ratings in Sydney test pattern-esque I'm sure he is a bit worried.

I'd say he is concerned. Enough for a stiff drink. Every day.

He should be, he's about to piss 200 million dollars up the wall in a placewhere RL continues to go strength from to strength.

We will run their high and mighty attitudes out of town - but its a shame their rotting carcass teams will remain.

VictoryFC

Bench
Crowds maybe great in Sydney but not in Newcastle,Melbourne,Canberra, New Zealand and Queensland.

Good to see you read that article....

But the crowd boon isn't just in Sydney. Melbourne fans - despite the pain of their salary cap rorting - have flocked to games, with Storm crowds up a massive 60 per cent. And Canberra's crowds are up 34 per cent.
Average crowds across ANZ Stadium, Parramatta Stadium, CUA Stadium and Campbelltown Stadium in Sydney's western suburbs have risen 21 per cent from 16,136 in 2009 to 19,519 in 2010.
So, Queensland is the only one bucking the positive trend.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Good to see you read that article....

So, Queensland is the only one bucking the positive trend.

Well yeah Canberras crowds have gone up a bit and Melbourne has but all iam trying to say is i would love to see 16000+ and upwards to 20000 for Canberra,Melbourne,Newcastle,Central Coast (if they get in)North Quensland,Gold Coast and New Zealand.

flamin

Juniors
Yeah NQ, Newcastle and the GC are the disappointments at this stage as all are capable of getting around the 20k mark. Newcastle are undergoing stadium issues though at the moment with the western grandstand being torn down if I am not mistaken?

Billythekid

First Grade
It sounds as though 67K tickets have been sold to SOO1 already. If true we could be in for a bumber crowd. Would be great to see.

Well yeah Canberras crowds have gone up a bit and Melbourne has but all iam trying to say is i would love to see 16000+ and upwards to 20000 for Canberra,Melbourne,Newcastle,Central Coast (if they get in)North Quensland,Gold Coast and New Zealand.

What are you babbling about. The storm are averaging over 20,000 this year despite all the salary cap issues. How much more could you expect?

MsStorm

Bench
That's laughable when you consider that the 100,000 capacity MCG has sold out for a regular season game on Friday night.

The MCG have never been full to the brim, though they have had some great crowds there this year. Nonetheless, you can't really compare ANZ stadium to the MCG...it doesn't hold the same capacity...but understand the gist of your argument.

One positive for this season though, crowds are rising and memberships to clubs are too.

elbusto

Coach
That's laughable when you consider that the 100,000 capacity MCG has sold out for a regular season game on Friday night.
Selling 67000 tickets to a SOO a week out from the game 'laughable'?

You have a strange sense of humour young lady!

Evenflow

Bench
i could've sworn this was a thread for crowds and not ratings.......

Anyway it's great to see the figures up in most markets. Lets hope we can keep building this season and more importantly increasing them every year into the future. Some around here like to talk down the importance of crowds when a comparison is brought up with ours and the AFL's but they've never been as vital as what they are now in regards to helping keep clubs afloat.

Simo

First Grade
Don't do it...its sh*t. Level 4 is ok actually. 6 is a complete waste of money

Im with you Adam, I bought game 3 tickets in the lower bowl and am getting excited and thinking about buying game 1 tickets but will not sit in the upper stands, done it way to many times and just dont enjoy it, dont see the game.

Ii would kill for a high capacity great viewing stadium.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Source?

The MCG rarely gets 100k for the Grand Final... I think maybe once in the last ten years.

Billythekid

First Grade

OMG are you telling me that AFL crowds are better than NRL crowds, my world has been turned upside town.

The AFL getting a couple of 90K crowds during the season doesn't suddenly turn a crowd of 70-80K at ANZ into a crap crowd.

Also why does it matter whether the good crowd is for a rep game or during regular footy? We actually have a strong SOO series and a growing International game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.