What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Memberships

Don't really give a sh*t who wins the race tbh. I just want to see all the naysayers that rabble on about "too many Sydney teams" come to terms with the fact that Souths, Dragons, Parra and the Dogs will all be pushing the likes of the Broncos for membership number supremacy in coming years.

Apparently you can't put up good membership numbers and crowds in Sydney because there is too much concentration of Football teams. Lol!

smacky

Juniors
I just recieved an email from souths that states:

RABBITOHS 9,502 v DRAGONS 9,443

looks like those dodgy 3 game passes might get the dragons over the line... :x

Shows how good rabbitohs are going though considering you only have 12 game memberships so the club will be making more money than dragons. So be happy about that lol

Fein

First Grade
Shows how good rabbitohs are going though considering you only have 12 game memberships so the club will be making more money than dragons. So be happy about that lol

That's very true.

Regardless of who gets to 10,000 first, the amount of money generated for clubs near this number of ticketed sales is a massive boost.

yobbo84

Coach
LESS THAN 500 TICKETED MEMBERS TO PASS 10,000

19 Feb 2010

The Race to 10,000 Ticketed Members is closer than ever with the Rabbitohs and Dragons out in front at this late stage of the competition.

The Rabbitohs are happy to announce that this morning the Club passed 9,500 Ticketed Members - a fantastic effort from the Club's Members.

The current tally is:

RABBITOHS 9,552 v DRAGONS 9,443

As Rabbitohs supporters, we all know how much we enjoy beating the Dragons on the field.

So let's take it to the next level and beat them off the field, with victory in the NRL 'Race to 10,000' Ticketed Members.

TICKETED MEMBERSHIP IS THE BEST WAY TO SUPPORT YOUR RABBITOHS

Rabbitohs Membership ambassador Mario Fenech is going head to head with Dragons Membership ambassador Wendell Sailor.

Help Mario take bragging rights by joining today and helping us win the race to 10,000 Ticketed Members.

JOIN TODAY FOR FREE ENTRY TO THE CHARITY SHIELD

Online: Click here
Phone: The Membership Team are waiting for your call now on 02 8306 9922 (9am-5pm, M-F)
In Person: Visit the Membership Team at 104 George Street, Redfern (9am-5pm, M-F)

WILL YOU STAND AND BE COUNTED?

Source: http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/News/Club-News/LESS-THAN-500-TICKETED-MEMBERS-TO-PASS-10000.html

TheRam

Coach
I believe if the clubs keep this type of focus on membership drives for the next ten years and in fact step it up each year, that an average of 25-30000 memberes is not out of the question. These sorts of campaigns should of been going on 50 years ago just like the AFL. They have got membership drives down to a fine art. We are only just now coming out of that artificial revenue raiser that sucks the life out of everything else, known as "The Pokies".

If the IC gets up and running and then we get a fair shake in the next TV rights deal, then all those anti league people and nay sayers, you just look out, the giant will finally have awoken. Just watch and see.

Oh and to whoever it was that asked me the question before, I expect the Storm to be in the top 3 this year in members, and eventually they may even be number one or two.

Goddo

Bench
The AFL didn't really get started on memberships and big crowds until they introduced their commission in the 80s... then through the 80s- now their memberships have risen sharply. You are right... but clubs didn't feel the need to diversify their incomes, there has been no central administrative body encouraging the clubs, they had a dependency on pokies money, and there was the whole media war of the 90s.

All those things are now likely to change, which is why we are seeing results now... the support has always been there, just not the will to make it happen.

Well done to the Storm fans. There goes the firfy of them adding nothing to the game other than media value!

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
The AFL didn't really get started on memberships and big crowds until they introduced their commission in the 80s... then through the 80s- now their memberships have risen sharply.

Thats not quite true, The Melbourne "Big 4" of Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond have pulled large averages for decades. Richmond was averaging over 50 000 in the 1970's. The WAFL and SANFL had crowds like the NSWRL though. Essentially you are right with the rest of the post. The VFL of the 80's had a very real situation of expand or die. The league was in financial dire straits and need the quick inject of upfront licence fees from the Brisbane Bears and the West Coast Eagles of $4 million each to save 2/3's of the VFL clubs. Membership uptake was good but not impressive till the Adelaide Crows came in 1991 and immediately raised the bar around 40 000, it took almost a decade for West Coast to join them above 40 000 and the big Vic clubs til the middle of the 2000's.

It will take time but Rugby League will get there. It's become part of the sporting norm in the "AFL" states. When the Force entered the S14 they had 19 or 20 000 fully ticketed members (dropped to 15 000 but may be up again now they've moved to MES), Its why the Storm have one of the higher membership ratios to crowd attendance and the same will happen for a Perth NRL side.

I'm thinking by 2020 Brisbane can have 40 000+ members, the Gold Coast with a capped membership of around 25 000 because of the smaller stadium. North Queensland and the Sydney clubs around 20 000 with the odd club at 30 000 depending on home venue. This is a great path for the future health of the league.

Coaster

Bench
Why do people here have the need to keep bringing up AFL?

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

ouwet

Bench
Bulldogs up to 9166 total memberships and should be closing in on 8000 season ticket holders...

Don't really give a sh*t who wins the race tbh. I just want to see all the naysayers that rabble on about "too many Sydney teams" come to terms with the fact that Souths, Dragons, Parra and the Dogs will all be pushing the likes of the Broncos for membership number supremacy in coming years.

Apparently you can't put up good membership numbers and crowds in Sydney because there is too much concentration of Football teams. Lol!

Excellent call DKOR.Take the Knights for example,one team town,no competition,great following and yet they attract sfa members.

Goddo

Bench
Why do people here have the need to keep bringing up AFL?

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Sort of... I compare us to them because they are a sporting competition near by which do things differently to us, and good or bad, gives us an idea of the things we do well and what we can improve on.

I think growth in our memberships over the next 10 years may reflect the growth they had in the 80s-90s. We are just a bit behind them when it comes to some ideas, and our administration.

From the time Newtown got booted until the Titans were admitted, there were a lot of good and bad decisions made in regards to Rugby League, and although its taken a while, I think we are finally starting down the right track... we just need the commission to get up now!

Borat.

Juniors
Excellent call DKOR.Take the Knights for example,one team town,no competition,great following and yet they attract sfa members.

The management need to get a clue- I remeber when last year the CEO or someone connected to the club came out and said we need more fans to turn up.....unless we get 20,000 fans through the gate we won't survive...It might be true but it is really poor IMO ...coming out and trying to scare the supporters...it was even uttered with a flash of contempt...u better turn up or else.....

Newsflash- we have been hearing that for 20 years FFS ...you need to sell the product a little better than that....

Surandy

Bench
Imagine what effect this increase in ticketed memberships will have on crowd numbers. If a person has forked out their hard earned for a membership then it would stand to reason that they'd be more inclined to attend more games than otherwise might be the case.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Imagine what effect this increase in ticketed memberships will have on crowd numbers. If a person has forked out their hard earned for a membership then it would stand to reason that they'd be more inclined to attend more games than otherwise might be the case.

Hopefully we will see a lot less sub 10,000 crowds.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Hopefully we will see a lot less sub 10,000 crowds.

indeed, i remember last year during the origin period the eels played the sharks in front of just 7 or 8K, this season the eels have nearly got that many season tickets sold already. the increase in memberships should have a noticeable affect at most clubs attendance and when you combine it with the new melbourne stadium it should be another record breaking year in terms of attendance.

jc155776

Coach
Sharks Harvey Norman Appearance A Success
Sunday, 21 February 2010

The Cronulla Sharks received an almighty reception at Harvey Norman Caringbah on Saturday with 250 fans signing on as Members of the Football Club for season 2010.
Proud sponsors of the Cronulla Sharks, Harvey Norman Caringbah purchased a Bay from the club and generously offered it to new ticketed Members at a 50% discount!
Keen to fill the bay, they offered 125 new Members the chance to secure season seats in the newly created Harvey Norman Bay, located in Bay 6 of the Eastern Concourse and they sold like hot cakes!
The offer proved to be a success among fans, with the discounted seats being sold after just 15 minutes.
Yes, that's right! It was such an overwhelming success that Harvey Norman decided to buy another bay and again sell it for half price! All up, 250 new ticketed Members put pen to paper and secured their season seats for all 11 home games at Toyota Stadium.
While the players happily signed autographs, participated in the 'pass the ball' competition and posed for individual photos, the van was also inundated with merchandise sales, with the new vintage rage proving very popular amongst our new Members and fans.

http://www.sharks.com.au/?s=article-display&id=22784

Good initiative.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

It remains to be seen. I remain cautiously optimistic of another increase in crowds this season but I would not immediately equate a higher percentage of memberships to the same percentage crowd increase.

A lot of people that are regularly going to games would now be the ones taking up memberships as it is cost effective. So I anticipate another increase but not to amazingly high levels.

However, I could be entirely wrong about this and we could have a result that surprises us all.

The membership drive is a fantastic thing. I'm mentioning it now to every footy fan I know and you can see deep contemplation about getting on board. All of us who are members of a footy club need now to create a situation where becoming a member is the done thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh its not till we get past the die hards joining as members to attracting the fair weather fans or new fans as members that we wil see significant differences. It is probably a 10 year journey to that point but one that had to start somewhere and has had a very positive two year push so far.

Latest posts