What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Memberships

yobbo84

Coach
Souths and Dogs have done very well, they tend to benefit a fair bit from the ability to offer cheaper season tickets at ANZ stadium.

Shane Richardson sort of acknowledged the advantage of ANZ, from memory some season ticket packages start below $100 at that venue, not sure there are too many others than can do the same. Having said that, well done , still an achievement.

Huh? Souths cheapest adult GA season ticket is $200 bucks. Reserved $300. We are one club who hasn't reduced the price of tickets in order to pump up numbers.

PaulyTom

Juniors
The Bunnies got together with Hawthorn to discuss the best ways of marketing and advertising membership as they have ran some extemely successful membership drives. We have gone from the bottom to the top with in 4 years. No reason Manly , Penrith and other clubs cannot do the same.

Each Sydney club should at least hit 10 000 with the next 3 years.

Lambretta

First Grade
Its hard to tell who the Roosters are trying to target with their membership drive. It doesnt appear to appeal a particular market. Iv been to too many Rooster games not involving Parra, and one thing I noticed is the wide demographic of people that attend the game. Its really quite remarkable. They have a rather like-able and unique brand, they arent exactly based in a low income area either.

The Roosters are always going to struggle to attract members.

Geographically the area is not a Rugby League heartland.

The League supporting areas that belonged to Easts were gifted to Souths in the 30's such as Maroubra, Coogee and Kensington so that left the Roosters with Bondi, Paddington and Clovelly pretty much.

These areas are now very affluent and not really die hard league areas. There are still pockets in Bondi etc, but they're constantly shrinking. Most of our fans who lived in these areas are now residing on the Central Coast or Penrith etc. This makes it hard to sell attendance memberships as may of our traditional fans have to travel to the East to watch games.

People who still live in the Eastern Suburbs will turn up to watch (in their thousands) when the club is going well, but they tend to be interested bystanders rather than die hard fans.

If you've ever been a big game at the SFS you'll recognise the Roosters fans by the fact they're not wearing club colours of any kind. They're those kind of supporters.

ouwet

Bench
Huh? Souths cheapest adult GA season ticket is $200 bucks. Reserved $300. We are one club who hasn't reduced the price of tickets in order to pump up numbers.

Pump up numbers? Souths include Country members who get access to only 5 games as ticket members, that'll pump up your numbers! I know the Bulldogs do not include country members who get 6 game passes as ticket members (Look on both website and call clubs for confirmation)! I know St George count 6 game passes as ticket members (Even 3 game passes Wollongong passes)...

More members the better whether it's $96 or $190... Don' try and take the moral high ground!

Evenflow

Bench
The Bunnies got together with Hawthorn to discuss the best ways of marketing and advertising membership as they have ran some extemely successful membership drives.

They've also got together with Collingwood as well. It's a great initiative from Souths in putting the footy code war bullsh*t aside by realizing they can learn thing a thing or 2 from AFL clubs and it's paying massive dividends for them. If only some other clubs were so forward thinking they probably wouldn't be in the financial situation they're in by losing money anually.

chrisc101

Juniors
Pump up numbers? Souths include Country members who get access to only 5 games as ticket members, that'll pump up your numbers! I know the Bulldogs do not include country members who get 6 game passes as ticket members (Look on both website and call clubs for confirmation)! I know St George count 6 game passes as ticket members (Even 3 game passes Wollongong passes)...

More members the better whether it's $96 or $190... Don' try and take the moral high ground!

But the Bulldogs DO count their crowd numbers very subjectively!! i.e. 2 games last year, counting the full double header crowd in full and the get in for free day.

ouwet

Bench
But the Bulldogs DO count their crowd numbers very subjectively!! i.e. 2 games last year, counting the full double header crowd in full and the get in for free day.

LOL no they didn't! They split it with the broncos... 25K each.

Why wouldn't they count the Warriors crowd? I didn't get in for free, i bought my season pass and it was included! Not to many of the 41K crowd were season ticket holders of the other NRL clubs.

If we counted the full Brisbane crowd our average would've been over 22.5K but we didn't so it was 21K as stated in the paper yesterday adveritising saturdays crowd. Nice to see you talking from your ass with no proof.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
3 things costing us are:

1. As you mentioned too many people support other teams. In my Grade at school of over 100 people 5-10 supported Penrith.
2. 8500 Juniors and about 2000-3000 officials get free passes to all games. Potential members lost there.
3. Lack of success for a number of years now. Not making the finals since 2004 hasn't really pushed those 'fringe' fans to commit to a full year.

So why don't the Panthers offer non-ticketed kids memberships with junior registrations with an option of taking up ticketed memberships?

If it means bumping up junior registration fees by $30 to incorprorate the membership package then so be it, but maybe give them the option on the day they sign up in case there is a issue with the extra membership cost driving junior numbers away. And that's just for the kids only - the parents might then sign up as well.

The League supporting areas that belonged to Easts were gifted to Souths in the 30's such as Maroubra, Coogee and Kensington so that left the Roosters with Bondi, Paddington and Clovelly pretty much.

These areas are now very affluent and not really die hard league areas. There are still pockets in Bondi etc, but they're constantly shrinking. Most of our fans who lived in these areas are now residing on the Central Coast or Penrith etc. This makes it hard to sell attendance memberships as may of our traditional fans have to travel to the East to watch games.

People who still live in the Eastern Suburbs will turn up to watch (in their thousands) when the club is going well, but they tend to be interested bystanders rather than die hard fans.

If you've ever been a big game at the SFS you'll recognise the Roosters fans by the fact they're not wearing club colours of any kind. They're those kind of supporters.

Our marketing department (if one exists) needs to work harder. It's got to let these people know, regardless wether they're AFL or Rugby fans, that it's their club and represents their area. Maybe going back to being called Eastern Suburbs or just Easts will help.

I don't live in the area Lambretta but does the club at least do a letterbox drive? Even a simple thing like that could have a positive effect and help build a community spirit.

chrisc101

Juniors
LOL no they didn't! They split it with the broncos... 25K each.

Why wouldn't they count the Warriors crowd? I didn't get in for free, i bought my season pass and it was included! Not to many of the 41K crowd were season ticket holders of the other NRL clubs.

If we counted the full Brisbane crowd our average would've been over 22.5K but we didn't so it was 21K as stated in the paper yesterday adveritising saturdays crowd. Nice to see you talking from your ass with no proof.

I've seen the 22.6k figure quoted before, but if you say that the OFFICAL average was 20.5k then I stand corrected. But definitely not talking out my arse, I take my crowd figures very seriously!

adamkungl

Immortal
Our marketing department (if one exists) needs to work harder. It's got to let these people know, regardless wether they're AFL or Rugby fans, that it's their club and represents their area. Maybe going back to being called Eastern Suburbs or just Easts will help.

I don't live in the area Lambretta but does the club at least do a letterbox drive? Even a simple thing like that could have a positive effect and help build a community spirit.

Marketing doesn't do any letterbox drive as far as I can tell.
On the one hand we have Souths, whose salesmen I saw at both Randwick (OUR AREA) and Eastlakes on different days, and Roosters, who gave me a prerecorded phone message saying I should renew.

Marketing doesn't do any letterbox drive as far as I can tell.
On the one hand we have Souths, whose salesmen I saw at both Randwick (OUR AREA) and Eastlakes on different days, and Roosters, who gave me a prerecorded phone message saying I should renew.

Would've thought a couple of self-made millionaire salesmen on the board might had some idea about marketing

The Tank

Bench
Souths have gone from being virtually dead to having the biggest membership uptake. f**king unbelieveable! Can you imagine what their numbers could be if they finish top 4 or even win the bloody thing! I think Souths revival is inspiring for poor supported clubs like Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Easts etc. If Souths can attain those numbers from where they were then surely it's possible for other clubs also.

Fein

First Grade
Souths have gone from being virtually dead to having the biggest membership uptake. f**king unbelieveable! Can you imagine what their numbers could be if they finish top 4 or even win the bloody thing! I think Souths revival is inspiring for poor supported clubs like Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Easts etc. If Souths can attain those numbers from where they were then surely it's possible for other clubs also.

It comes back to professional management at Souths, Tank.

We'd really not seen it for most of our decades long support.

The massive supporter base has always been there but the fans have waited before pledging their hard earned.

It all changed for us in 2006 when we dumped the "neville's" and gave Rusty and Holmes a' Court the management brief and we haven't looked back since.

Parramatta strike me as similar in that they got rid of "neville" and the results were almost instantaneous.

I have no doubt all clubs have it in them to significantly increase season ticket holders, even from the record levels we see today.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Bunnies will have 15 000 ticketed members next year and well over 20 000 total members.

Way we are going I think fans of other teams will jump ship to be Bunnies fans.

siv

First Grade

There is always Central Qld

siv

First Grade
To put things into perspective - the Swans have the biggest memebrship base in Sydney at 26,000 - which compares to Souths 17,500

Still a way to go

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
But the potential is there for every NRL club to beat the Swans, I'd say every RL club in Sydney (even the smaller ones) would have more support than the swans.