What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Memberships

TheDalek079

Bench

total memberships (including non-ticketed)

membership_09032010.jpg

franklin2323

Immortal
That table as far as rankings is no surprise to me. Everytime you see a fan poll or something the 4 most popular SYDNEY teams are Parra, Dragons, Bulldogs, Souths.

Most of which comes to their success of the 70's/80's. So while success helps get a supporter base I am happy with the progress all teams have made

franklin2323

Immortal
Still disappointing numbers for Penrith.
I know out here there is a massive cross section of fans supporting other clubs, but really they should be doing a lot better than that.
Penrith is a big city, and to only have 4,000 odd members in League heartland is disappointing.

Panther Daz is spot on. You mention the support in the early 90's back to back GF's would of helped.

Don't get me wrong we can still improve our numbers. But we have to consider these facts:

EVERY fans poll RLW or the telecrap does we are always the lowest supported team. I think last years telecrap we had 4% or something say 100,000 people were asked. Thats 4,000 who support Penrith close to our season ticket holders. While not ALL fans got asked not all members would of answered.

Alot of people would of moved to areas like St Clair, Glenmore Park when the M4 was constructed mid 90's most of those people would of had a team to support already. We haven't done much since team to convert people. Anyone in Penrith or surrounding areas would of noticed in the finals the high amount of Parra Flags not to mention everytime we play Dragons or Bulldogs.

Junior players can use the pass for any team so if they support another team despite getting the pass in our district use if for another team.

Also about 1/2 of our local district is houso areas of Doonside, Mt Druitt etc. So having a spare $200 for membership is difficult no matter your love for the Panthers.

I am not saying other teams don't have these problem however I am saying despite population other factors may force fans to other teams.

I think the club is on the right track trying to get members like Members get in to home games 10mins earlier, Team named earlier, Certain parts of the website members only etc.

Across all clubs we have made huge inroads in 2 years we have more to go but are on the right track

Lambretta

First Grade
Our marketing department (if one exists) needs to work harder. It's got to let these people know, regardless wether they're AFL or Rugby fans, that it's their club and represents their area. Maybe going back to being called Eastern Suburbs or just Easts will help.

I don't live in the area Lambretta but does the club at least do a letterbox drive? Even a simple thing like that could have a positive effect and help build a community spirit.

Not sure if they do a letterbox drop mate as I live in the neglected North Shore. When the Bears left the comp, junior league on the North Shore evaporated.

Manly, Easts, Parramatta. These are clubs who's borders join the North Shore and do you think ANY of these clubs tried to continue the work when the Bears vacated the area? Even public schools on the North Shore didnt have league programmes till the Gosford Bears consortium got up and running.

When I did live in the East I used to get membership offers from the Swans AND the Kangaroos (when they were considering being the Western Sydney AFL team) but NOTHING from Easts even though I was a Leagues Club member!

I doubt if anything has changed much. My mother in law lives in Raleigh Park and she doesnt give me anything Easts have sent HER even though she knows I'm an Easts tragic, so I doubt if they do send anything.

lturner

Juniors
Panther Daz is spot on. You mention the support in the early 90's back to back GF's would of helped.

Don't get me wrong we can still improve our numbers. But we have to consider these facts:

EVERY fans poll RLW or the telecrap does we are always the lowest supported team. I think last years telecrap we had 4% or something say 100,000 people were asked. Thats 4,000 who support Penrith close to our season ticket holders. While not ALL fans got asked not all members would of answered.

Alot of people would of moved to areas like St Clair, Glenmore Park when the M4 was constructed mid 90's most of those people would of had a team to support already. We haven't done much since team to convert people. Anyone in Penrith or surrounding areas would of noticed in the finals the high amount of Parra Flags not to mention everytime we play Dragons or Bulldogs.

Junior players can use the pass for any team so if they support another team despite getting the pass in our district use if for another team.

Also about 1/2 of our local district is houso areas of Doonside, Mt Druitt etc. So having a spare $200 for membership is difficult no matter your love for the Panthers.

I am not saying other teams don't have these problem however I am saying despite population other factors may force fans to other teams.

I think the club is on the right track trying to get members like Members get in to home games 10mins earlier, Team named earlier, Certain parts of the website members only etc.

Across all clubs we have made huge inroads in 2 years we have more to go but are on the right track

To me, Penrith don't really have a very distinctive club image. Every year they seem to have a different jersey and I don't even think I could tell you what their club colours are. Black, brown, teal, rust, white?

I think the Penrith football club needs to find an identity and stick with it.

PaulyTom

Juniors
How do the Panthers get there membership message across? Do there link up with the Panthers club??? and do cross advertising? use the Panthers club database?
What about running a program for every family that signs up the season membership is hand delivered by a panther player.
A internet pop up screen every time u sign up should be used to keep reminding the fans that membership is important and that they will be apart of the team once being a member.

A ladies day for every mum that signs up. BBQ with the team so women feel welcome to NRL.

Panthers should aim for 10000 memberships with in 3-4 years.

franklin2323

Immortal
How do the Panthers get there membership message across? Do there link up with the Panthers club??? and do cross advertising? use the Panthers club database?
What about running a program for every family that signs up the season membership is hand delivered by a panther player.
A internet pop up screen every time u sign up should be used to keep reminding the fans that membership is important and that they will be apart of the team once being a member.

A ladies day for every mum that signs up. BBQ with the team so women feel welcome to NRL.

Panthers should aim for 10000 memberships with in 3-4 years.

Yeah Locally they are doing a good job. All 3 local papers have ads saying sign up. They had a store and fan day in the local Westfield BUT If your out the region besides the website nothing!!!

They had the pink night last year perfect example to get fans from outside the region. In defence of the club Sean the marketing manager is only in his 2nd season with us and has brought some outstanding local plans for the club. Eg Poker and trivia with the players at Panthers through the week. It may make the fans feel part of the team

The target is 10000 by 2013. I might happen if they keep thinking outside the square but they need to head outside of the region abit as the reasons I listed above

franklin2323

Immortal
To me, Penrith don't really have a very distinctive club image. Every year they seem to have a different jersey and I don't even think I could tell you what their club colours are. Black, brown, teal, rust, white?

I think the Penrith football club needs to find an identity and stick with it.

Mate I agree we do jersey deals for 3 years and when it expires and they change the jersey completely. And yet teams like Dragons, Bulldogs, Souths, Dragons modernise the jersey yet keep the colours, Style etc intact.

And here we have these 4 teams infront of memberships and supporter base. Easily recognisable jerseys help

thommo4pm

Coach

I've been involved with the Penrith Junior League since 1981 either as a player, ref, coach or trainer, and I can assure you the Jnr Passes have not always been used by Penrith.
They weren't used for all kids last year, as I mentioned in a previous post of mine, my 2 boys both played in the U/6's last year and neither received a Jnr pass at all.

What I'm getting at, is the same thing you are....Penrith have a lot of work to do and have been slack for too long.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I've been involved with the Penrith Junior League since 1981 either as a player, ref, coach or trainer, and I can assure you the Jnr Passes have not always been used by Penrith.
They weren't used for all kids last year, as I mentioned in a previous post of mine, my 2 boys both played in the U/6's last year and neither received a Jnr pass at all.

What I'm getting at, is the same thing you are....Penrith have a lot of work to do and have been slack for too long.

When I played we used to always get them and could get on the Hill at all games with them.

As for slackness in the the past yes. But the 18months I think Shaun and the crew have pulled their fingers out and improved that fact. The main point to my post was just that despite the high love for league in the area doesn't always mean they do infact support the local league

dimitri

First Grade
I'm also guessing a large portion of the 25,000 are from Melbourne and people who were South Melbourne supporters (Now Swans).

Yeah, I knew someone who worked at the Swans (yuck) a few years ago, and he told me, that 1/3 of their "members" were Melbourne Members, who got access to the Melbourne games

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Penrith up to 4206. With more yet to come. Spoke to one of the Membership folks today and they said they have had a mad rush in the past 24-48 hours. They are frantically trying to process them all by tomorrow night. If we can nudge the 4500 mark that will be excellent!

Panfas

Juniors
Penrith up to 4206. With more yet to come. Spoke to one of the Membership folks today and they said they have had a mad rush in the past 24-48 hours. They are frantically trying to process them all by tomorrow night. If we can nudge the 4500 mark that will be excellent!

Fantastic news!!